Care of Wilson Doe-Skin mask pads

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1365 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings brothers,

During quarantine, I got a great deal on some Wilson doe-skin pads. I have always wanted to try them out on my Wilson Dyna-Lite aluminum mask. I used them on 2 plates over the last weekend and was pleased overall. 95 degree day, nice and soft and cool on my face. So, my superpower is perspiration. I noticed these pads took on a darker hue on the inside edges that touch my face from absorbing all of my sweat. I used a fresh towel and wiped them down immediately after both games.

I know that because these are all-natural materials that they are going to breakdown and need to be replaced more frequently than something man-made. Do you guys have any tips or special techniques to help make these pads last? After fall season ends, are there any gels or creams that should be rubbed on these pads to keep them from dry rotting? Should they be bagged with a moist paper towel or will that just promote mold? Again...any information would be useful.

~Dawg

2 hours ago, Ump0000 said:

I just let them dry and use a damp rag to wipe down. Once dry I store the mask in a mask bag and store in dry place in off season. I change pads every year.

And doeskin pads feel amazing.

Also, being discolored on the inside doesn't mean that they're breaking down, that's just going to happen (sometimes not that long after you've started using them) to leather pads.

The darkening is often a combination of 2 things:

- absorbing sweat

- absorbing oils from your skin

Darkening on the leather doesnt really equate to the pads breaking down, it just means that the leather is absorbing. Personally, I've switched to Wilson Leathers on my Diamond masks and I've just been gently scrubbing at it with the inside of my ball bags to get rid of the salt build-up and then I store them in the ventilated bottom of my bag.