Sign in to follow this  
MT73

Offensive Interference

Question

OBR

R3 scores on a squeeze and then interferes with F1 who is trying to retire the B/R at first.

What now and same question if R3 is tagged out and then interferes.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

8 hours ago, MT73 said:

OBR

R3 scores on a squeeze and then interferes with F1 who is trying to retire the B/R at first.

What now and same question if R3 is tagged out and then interferes.

Thanks.

Hard to picture F1 being interfered with but in the first case the run scores and the B/R is out. If the B/R was the third out the run wouldn’t score. 
In the second case no run scored of course since R3 was out and the B/R is out. I think in both cases it would be a teammate interfering. How did he do that? Can we take your word that interference occurred?

Edited by Jimurray
Added third out case
  • Like 1

And here is the applicable 2019 OBR rule (6.01a-5).

6.01 Interference, Obstruction, and Catcher Collisions

(a)  Batter or Runner Interference

It is interference by a batter or a runner when:

(5) Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate (see Rule 6.01(j));

I was reading in the current issue of Referee that in NCAA and NFHS that in this situation you would call R3 out ( un score the run) and also call out the B/R.

i was curious what the Pro rule was.

FED and OBR agree: for INT by a scored runner, the run counts, the ball is dead, and the other runner being played on is out for the teammate's INT. Any other runners return to the TOI base.

FED has an additional wrinkle in case the INT at HP happens on a force-play. In that case, even if the INT happens after R3 scores, R3's run is nullified, R3 is out, BR is out, and other runners return to the TOI base. (8.4.2W: one of the only situations where a run can be unscored.)

FED does not unscore a run for retired runner INT unless it's also a FPSR violation.

3 hours ago, MT73 said:

I was reading in the current issue of Referee that in NCAA and NFHS that in this situation you would call R3 out ( un score the run) and also call out the B/R.

i was curious what the Pro rule was.

They're wrong...again.

Unless, of course, their scenario was a force play, in which case I doubt there would be a squeeze (although one of my most humorous stories comes from a team catching the defense asleep on a bases-loaded squeeze.)

• Haha 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this