Jump to content
  • 0

Obstruction questions


Question

1) R2, caught fly ball and R2 is attempting to retouch second base but is obstructed while going back. He a) would've made it back without obstruction and b) wouldn't have made it back. Are they awarded 3B regardless? 

2) I can't find anything in the rules about this. If a runner is obstructed (type 2), what actions can they do that would override obstruction? ie interference

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 hours ago, JakeUmp said:

1) R2, caught fly ball and R2 is attempting to retouch second base but is obstructed while going back. He a) would've made it back without obstruction and b) wouldn't have made it back. Are they awarded 3B regardless? 

2) I can't find anything in the rules about this. If a runner is obstructed (type 2), what actions can they do that would override obstruction? ie interference

1) If there is a throw coming to 2B in an attempt get a re-tag out then it is type 1 and the runner gets 3B.  If there is no play on the runner then it is type 2 the umpire makes whatever award he feel will nullify the obstruction. 

2) It wouldn't override obstruction, but as it its type 2 the umpire will take all subsequent action into account. Not sure where you would get interference. Perhaps you could describe a situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
23 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

1) If there is a throw coming to 2B in an attempt get a re-tag out then it is type 1 and the runner gets 3B.  If there is no play on the runner then it is type 2 the umpire makes whatever award he feel will nullify the obstruction. 

2) It wouldn't override obstruction, but as it its type 2 the umpire will take all subsequent action into account. Not sure where you would get interference. Perhaps you could describe a situation.

Sure. R2, double to the outfield. R2 obstructed around third base and then trucks the catcher standing with the ball at home. 

 

Also, can the defense still appeal the missed tag up if you award them 3B and they never tag up? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Let's refer to the actual rule for the answer to your first question: 6.01(h)(1) [this is type 1] and (2) [this is type 2].

In part, (1) states, "The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction." (2) states, "If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, JakeUmp said:

Also, can the defense still appeal the missed tag up if you award them 3B and they never tag up? 

Yes.  What's awarded is the right to advance without being played on.  The runner must still advance legally.  It's why on a home run, the batter touches all the bases and just doesn't head to the dugout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.






×
×
  • Create New...