I realize this is really, REALLY Off Topic, considering I'm not even doing the "stick to sports" thing.

But even before I got hooked on umpiring, I played the drums.  Without turning this into a memoir, I played from 5th grade on in school, concert and marching band both, and marched for five years in my college marching band.  The best and oldest friends I have in this world are my drumline mates from those college days - a finer collection of people than I ever dared dream be a part of.

And, because I'm "of a certain age," I came along in the prime years of Rush.

Neil Peart was the greatest rock drummer of all time.  Any other opinion is objectively wrong, so save your time and don't "@" me.  And he also wrote a lot of classic lines - his early love of Ayn Rand notwithstanding.  If I have a hero in any aspect of my life, it would be Neil.  I would have loved to had maybe a tenth, or hundredth, of the skill he had, even just for a day.

And, as happens to us all, he's gone.  (And F*#K cancer as well.)

So if you lift a glass this weekend, do me a favour, and offer a toast to The Professor.

(And to our Canadian members:  sorr-ee.)

• Sad 2

Right there with you brother. I wasn’t a musician, but I have a very strong love of rock and roll. Progressive rock was always some of my favorite stuff, and Rush had always and still is one of my favorite bands ever. Neil meant a lot more to me then some rock and roll band drummer. I grew up on his lyrics. They are inspiring, thought provoking, and real world. They often hit close to home. His songs and lyrics were scribbled over many a high school yearbook, notebook, and desktop. And as a bonus, There was none better on the kit. I always wanted to meet the guy.  Not in a meet and greet to shake his hand and tell him how great he is, but to sit in a cafe somewhere and just shoot the breeze about anything and everything. I feel in some strange way like I lost a family member. 
RIP Neil. And condolences to family and friends. 

• Like 1

I too am a drummer, and of course, NP was undoubtedly one of my inspirations as with so many other drummers worldwide. Greatest rock drummer of all time, I'm not sure, and opinions of such are subjective, not objective.  I've always called him the greatest rock drum part arranger and composer ... that's MY take on it.  Doesn't matter.   He was probably THE MOST influential drummer to MILLIONS as stated above. @HokieUmp .....anyone here is allowed to "@" you.  We can't be denying others opinions here, it is a forum, yes? ;)

A VERY VERY private person.  Obviously because; 1) he died on Tuesday 1/7, and it was released to the public on Friday 1/10.   2) NO ONE knew he was battling brain cancer.  3) Many interviews confirmed this, and is supported within his lyrics in "Limelight" .... "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend".   @Richvee ...as much as I agree with your sentiment and would also have loved to have chatted with him, ... it would have never happened .... he'd never let it happen.   That said, I think it's one of the great things about him.

The Professor will be sorely missed, but thankfully, he's left us with an unbelievable legacy and incredible discography of music!

Rest in peace, sir ... you've left a beautiful mark on the world.

• Like 1

It's okay, Jeff.  People can have all the opinions they want - it's a free country.  As long as they're not afraid to be wrong, they can exercise ALL their constitutional rights!

(I feel I need to insert a :D here, since my tone of voice can be mis-read.)

[Right here would be a link to Red Barchetta, if I were going to attach a video.  That was my favourite Rush track.  Although, Mystic Rhythms has been floating in my head a lot over the weekend.]

And for anyone that cares, Sirius is playing all-Rush on Deep Tracks (ch 27) for a limited time.

9 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

It's okay, Jeff.  People can have all the opinions they want - it's a free country.  As long as they're not afraid to be wrong, they can exercise ALL their constitutional rights!

(I feel I need to insert a :D here, since my tone of voice can be mis-read.)

[Right here would be a link to Red Barchetta, if I were going to attach a video.  That was my favourite Rush track.  Although, Mystic Rhythms has been floating in my head a lot over the weekend.]

And for anyone that cares, Sirius is playing all-Rush on Deep Tracks (ch 27) for a limited time.

That's why I used a ;) in my post too!   It's a very valid argument, don't get me wrong, ... he was a genius for sure, ..I just look at it in a more specific way that's all.

For you sir:

Red Barchetta from Exit...Stage Left

Mystic Rhythms from the Counterparts Tour (Detroit stop)

AND ...this tribute I just found ....
A portion of Hemispheres II from the Hemispheres album

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

as much as I agree with your sentiment and would also have loved to have chatted with him, ... it would have never happened .... he'd never let it happen

That’s why I say in a small cafe or the like. It would have had to be totally by chance. Like eating lunch in some diner and NP riding up on his bike, pulling up a stool  to grab a bite to eat, and you just happen to be on the stool next to him. Even then, you may not have gotten more than a nod, and a polite “hello”. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit late on this, Rush has been on of my favorite bands for 35+ years, I tried to learn to be a drummer after listening to Peart.

RIP

• Like 1