Sign in to follow this  
fishnfed

playing with a lower arm cast - OBR

Question

In the OBR set, how do they handle a player that has a lower arm cast that may want to pinch run?  I can not imagine it is even addressed, but my google searches have not been fruitful.

thanks 

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, fishnfed said:

In the OBR set, how do they handle a player that has a lower arm cast that may want to pinch run?  I can not imagine it is even addressed, but my google searches have not been fruitful.

thanks 

There is no rule in the book.

The rules are here - it's a pdf you can download.

https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/2/4/305750224/2019_Official_Baseball_Rules_FINAL_.pdf

This would not be a "baseball" rule, it would be an administrative one for whatever league or association is handling this game...this is more about liability than anything else.   Leagues and/or associations may or may not want waivers and doctor's notes.   Umpires, I guess, may or may not want to CYA on this one.

• Like 2

While it is true that professional baseball does not have a rule concerning casts and splints in its OBR, there is at least one youth league using OBR that does have a rule about casts. That would be, of course, Little League in its rule 1.11--

2019 LL rule 1.11(k) Casts may not be worn during the game by players and umpires.

NOTE: Persons wearing casts, including managers and coaches, must remain in the dugout during the game.

Little League’s RIM says the following about this rule—

The word “Plaster” has been removed from this rule to include other types of casts that can be just as dangerous to the game participants.

Players, managers and coaches with casts may not coach in the coaches’ box, not only out of concern for the injured player, manager or coach, but also for the safety of those around him/her.

Umpires may not umpire while wearing a cast for the very same reason.

If the youth league you are affiliated with plays under OBR rules I would recommend that you check the local league for a policy about casts and splints.

According to the 2016 BRD (section 197, p. 142), there is an official interpretation concerning professional pitchers wearing casts:

OBR Official Interpretation:  Deary:  A player may not pitch if he has a cast on either arm.

This is an old interpretation as it is shown as being around since 1983 but it was still in the BRD in 2016.

37 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

This may be a dumb question ... if there is no rule, how is there an interpretation?

Extension of this:

Rule 6.02 (c)(7) Comment: The pitcher may not attach anything
to either hand, any finger or either wrist (e.g., Band-Aid,
tape, Super Glue, bracelet, etc.). The umpire shall determine if
such attachment is indeed a foreign substance for the purpose
of Rule 6.02(c)(7), but in no case may the pitcher be allowed to
pitch with such attachment to his hand, finger or wrist.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this