Biscuit

HS Junior from KC, and some questions about the future.

I've been active on this site for about a year now, and lurking even longer... Maybe I should introduce myself!

My name is Garrett, I'm a 17 year old Junior from Kansas City, and I'm going into my 4th year of umpiring. I started umpiring at 14, the age the league I played in up to high school starts umpires at. The league I started in had very, very minimal training, but I spent quite a lot of time bettering my umpiring on the internet, primarily via umpirebible.com. By the end of the second year, I could tell that I need some higher level baseball, and I wanted to move on. Last year, I started doing daddy ball tournaments through the MSBL, and got to do some of my first games that felt like real baseball. Last spring was a huge turning point in refining my craft, and becoming more professional. I was able to attend the MLB umpire camp in KC, and got a lot out of it, I found UE, which has been a huge resource, and got my own set of real umpiring gear. At one of the tournaments I worked for the MSBL, another assignor (I think he was there as the USSSA rep maybe?) asked what I was doing during the weeks, and invited me to umpire at one of the larger leagues in the Kansas City area, which has been a large source of games for me.

At this point, I'm doing mostly 11-13U ball, with a few 9U, 10U, and 14U games here and there. This year I've only been able to work 4 games (two 12U's and two 13U's, probably AAA or MAJ for all of them), and have felt very good. While no where near perfect, I feel I'm quite good for this level of ball and would love to move on to even better baseball, but I'm unsure where to go from here, as I'm still in High School and will be for another year. Ultimately, my goal is to do college ball, hopefully DI, as a way to stay in baseball, while making a little money. Heaven knows I'm not good enough to make it as a player :crybaby2:

In essence, my question is, what should be my next step in umpiring? I know there are decent number of UE members in Missouri/Kansas, specifically in the Kansas City Area, so if you have any local advice or opportunities, I'd love to here them. One thing I've thought about is doing Middle School baseball, but I'm not sure if the baseball would actually be better, and if it would be worth the cost of getting registered when I still have a few years before I'll be able to do HS ball.

Regardless, this site has been an enormous help (and time sink) for me, and I look forward to many more years of helping, and even more being helped, by all of you in our mutual goals of umpiring. Thank you all!

• Like 1

Even if you can't call HS ball just yet, I wonder if you could register anyway and attend the meetings, get to know people, and through that networking probably get additional opportunities?

If you can't "register" maybe the local Association would let you attend and learn what you can. If you were in our area, we would love to have young guys who were interested and wanted to learn!

• Like 1

It's possible the local organizations will let you come for free - no registration to the state or the org itself.

If you're wanting extended training, you aren't too far from Springfield. Check out the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, who does a 2-man training in September. They're a sponsor here, too, but I attended in 2010 and got a lot out of it, and I can only imagine it's gotten better.

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

It's possible the local organizations will let you come for free - no registration to the state or the org itself.

If you're wanting extended training, you aren't too far from Springfield. Check out the Mid-American Umpire Clinic, who does a 2-man training in September. They're a sponsor here, too, but I attended in 2010 and got a lot out of it, and I can only imagine it's gotten better.

I plan on making it sometime for sure. I'm gonna have a two year break after high school, so I'm thinking go when I get back, so I can recalibrate and get back into it. Maybe sooner if I can make the money work, but we'll see. 

Do associations do any training beyod rules meetings? Rules meetings are great, but I feel what I'd benefit most from is hands on evaluation (like the mid America camp)

Some do, but not to the level you'll find at Mid-America. You'll probably get a night or two for a few hours and get a very basic overview of 2-man mechanics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yawetag said:

The single best thing I have done for my umpiring career 

• Like 2

Check out surrounding LL Districts and see who's in charge. Out here Oregon District 1 and Washington District 4 put on a 3 day clinic for both LL and then another for the 90" diamond. It's only about $100, but includes breakfast and lunch. Also, if you can work the bases for a couple seasoned umpires, it's quite the learning experience. Ask lots of questions and don't be surprised to get ambiguous answers, somethings we have to figure out ourselves. It's not the same level as HS ball, but can really help develop your confidence. 

Last year, I worked on a 3 man crew for the Oregon state tournament and we nailed it. The plate umpire was stoked after the game. Everyone was always in the right position. One of the coaches came up after the game and said, "I was going to give you guys a hard time about missing your rotations, but you guys nailed them every time." 

17 hours ago, Mister B said:

Check out surrounding LL Districts and see who's in charge. Out here Oregon District 1 and Washington District 4 put on a 3 day clinic for both LL and then another for the 90" diamond. It's only about $100, but includes breakfast and lunch. Also, if you can work the bases for a couple seasoned umpires, it's quite the learning experience. Ask lots of questions and don't be surprised to get ambiguous answers, somethings we have to figure out ourselves. It's not the same level as HS ball, but can really help develop your confidence. 

Last year, I worked on a 3 man crew for the Oregon state tournament and we nailed it. The plate umpire was stoked after the game. Everyone was always in the right position. One of the coaches came up after the game and said, "I was going to give you guys a hard time about missing your rotations, but you guys nailed them every time." 

I'll have to check out the LL scene, and see what they have training wise!

I assure you, my confidence is rarely lacking... Often to a fault :P I do love it when I get an umpire more experienced (and knowledgable) than I. Unfortunately, most of them are doing HS ball at this point.