Strike Zone

POLOGREEN
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5103 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games....Brother....Games......

I have likened umpiring to being a student pilot.....you got to build up hours in the pilot seat.....to me its has just been the accumulation of games and pitches......and the advice and eval of someone with whom you trust....

• 1 year later...

Amen Stan!!! Try to work as much as possible. What really helped me out was doing Summer League Games. As a general strike zone for me I give the lines of the batters box as far as inside and outside. The low pitch depends on the catcher as how he catches the ball. If the glove is turned like a scoop that is a ball if he catches it upright its a strike. Watch the catcher he will let you know most of the time on how he catches it. The high pitch I determine that when I am set if the ball is at my eyes its a ball. I try to set my eyes with the batters hands. The key is to get the kids swinging. Remember you get paid by the game not by the hour. Depending on the pitcher you could have a 4 hour game and no one wants that. I try to get them to swing that bat, but you have to be realistic on the calls. Hope this helps.

Any ideas on how to improve calling insided, outside, high and low pitches?

Well that pretty much covers everything except the one at Penis & Broadway. :nod:

In a nutshell:

Head stays still.

Proper tracking.

Use of the eyes.

etc.

etc.

etc.

I'd recommend (sincerely) a clinic. If you're struggling at this point in the season with most pitches, it's time to get back to basics. That's nothing to be ashamed of - it happens to every umpire at one time or another. And to echo Stan, ask an experienced umpire to come and give you an evaluation. Ask questions. Listen to the answers. Work on it.

It sounds pretty generous in both directions but especially inside. Inside some part of tfhe ball has to hit the plate or I'm not calling it. Most kids don't have the control for any more.

Some of the games we have to call if you dont give the batters box line on the inside its going to be a very very very long night. Four hour ball games with score of 18 - 12 and your still in the 5th inning is a great example of why you have to be open to giving that inside pitch on the line.

It sounds pretty generous in both directions but especially inside. Inside some part of tfhe ball has to hit the plate or I'm not calling it. Most kids don't have the control for any more.

That's what I used to do.

Then someone suggested that rather than give 0" inside and 3" outside (or whatever), I give 1.5" both inside and outside. The width of the zone is the same, and this gets the batter to back off the plate a bit and gives me a better look, and there's less doubt when the ball hits the batter whether it's over the batter's box, or he leans into it, etc.

Some of the games we have to call if you dont give the batters box line on the inside its going to be a very very very long night. Four hour ball games with score of 18 - 12 and your still in the 5th inning is a great example of why you have to be open to giving that inside pitch on the line.

curious what level the strike zone you are describing is for ? lower levels 9 yo and below for sure . 10 yo possibly , LL majors and above 2 "balls" outside and one "ball" inside . chest to the lower knees .

d62 blue

Well that pretty much covers everything except the one at Penis & Broadway. :smachhead:

In a nutshell:

Head stays still.

Proper tracking.

Use of the eyes.

etc.

etc.

etc.

I'd recommend (sincerely) a clinic. If you're struggling at this point in the season with most pitches, it's time to get back to basics. That's nothing to be ashamed of - it happens to every umpire at one time or another. And to echo Stan, ask an experienced umpire to come and give you an evaluation. Ask questions. Listen to the answers. Work on it.

also strike zone is determined by each batters natural batting stance, kids come in all sizes and the zone will be a little different for each . also the age and level of ball ,younger = bigger zone = going home sooner . older levels a little smaller ect ect

d62 blue

not really pbrian....if i'm doing a u10 game where the kids are just trying to get it over, they will probably get a bit of a different zone that the high level travel u10 game where the kids are really pitching... sorry if that bothers you

curious what level the strike zone you are describing is for ? lower levels 9 yo and below for sure . 10 yo possibly , LL majors and above 2 "balls" outside and one "ball" inside . chest to the lower knees .

d62 blue

we give 1 ball inside, 1 ball outside, nipples to knees (not just top of knee)

The aforementioned is a very broad question

Suggestion: Attend a clinic where they video tape your plate work. The instructors will then go over this with you.

It could be your stance - They will show you the various stances that are accepted.

It could be your positioning

It could be a variety of things - the point is your asking about how to call balls / strikes which is a broad category to say the least. That's why I say the answer to your question can be better answered by attending a clinic where they video tape your plate work.

Pete Booth

Timing and watching where the catcher catches the ball have been huge for me. If you find yourself calling a pitch then saying "oh, damn" I missed that - slow it down on all of your calls and replay the pitches in your head. Don't let quick moving pitchers and catchers tempt you into moving fast.

Also, coming into the year I found I was getting too low and getting blocked on low/outside pitches. Remember, chin at the catchers helmet - nothing lower.

check out the attached file , this may helpful for you .

d62 blue

I umpire High School, Middle School, Babe Ruth League and my strike zone is the same for all leagues. The inside and outside will increase depending on the score and the inning it is.

I did a game tonight{ senior little league} and I don't know if it was the color of the back drop around the pitcher,or the mound a little closer{i think its 4 feet};but I had one of those nights where it was imperative that I pay close attention to how the catchers were framing the pitches.I didn't feel like I had a very good handle on my zone at all.I really had to stay focused and read,pause,call....I don't know if others experience this,but some nights its really easy and obvious,and tonight was the opposite,I just could not pick the ball up well. My partner after the game said I was pretty consistent,but it sure didn't feel like it. Weird night indeed.

I umpire High School, Middle School, Babe Ruth League and my strike zone is the same for all leagues. The inside and outside will increase depending on the score and the inning it is.

imo, should not change your zone based on the inning / score ([possible exception if it's something like 20-0)

imo, should not change your zone based on the inning / score ([possible exception if it's something like 20-0)

When you see some of the games we have and its like 9 - 1 3rd or 4th inning and the team with 1 run has only 2 hits and their pitchers can't get it close to the plate you have to change the zone. We are talking about high school teams that when only 1 - 3 gamed a year. If you don't widen it out some as the game progresses in games like this you will be there up to 4 hrs doing a 7 inning game.