Mizuno Shovel

blue32
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2076 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We had a discussion going on in another thread, so I decided to start one here to give an update to those of you that are all wanting to get your hands on one, here is what I found out, according to our friend So Yamaguchi, owner of Samurai Gears. 

I’m not real optimistic on a reboot, at least one directly from Mizuno. I asked So about offering Mizuno a pre-sale, and if specific numbers were met, they could do a limited production run. He floated that to Mizuno, and their answer is, when they stopped production, they threw out all the molds for these. (I find that answer from Mizuno as a little suspicious. If these were made by injection molding, the molds are VERY expensive). But maybe they did.

He then asked if he were to get a manufacturer to make a similar throat guard, if people would be interested. I said if it had the same look and feel, I think it would do well, because these aren’t necessarily something that brand matters on. If he gets it right, then they should sell well. If it looks cheap, then probably not.

i also mentioned one of our members here (sorry to who it was, I can’t remember, so shout out if it was you, or if you know who) talked about a 3D printing angle, and he was very excited at that prospect, and was going to look into it. Not sure how he gets around the copyrights, but maybe Mizuno doesn’t care anymore. Doubtful but who knows.

In a nutshell, it’s not much to convince me that there is any real chance, but the one thing we do have, is that So told me he wants one for his mask, so at least we have someone that is motivated, and had a personal stake in it.

I’ll let you know when I hear from him again.

• Like 4

We need an alternative, so I'm in.  I wish I could buy about a dozen of the ones from China so I don't have to keep paying that ridiculous shipping each time I need one.

5 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Man... I feel like I should up mine from ONE to A FEW? Lol

Since this is a wish list at the moment, you can say however many you want. You can even go all Dr Evil and say you want one million of them!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, blue32 said:

Since this is a wish list at the moment, you can say however many you want. You can even go all Dr Evil and say you want one million of them!

A million is a bit much. How bout 100,000?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been thinking about this... are these patented?  I somehow doubt it. TG's are pretty universally shaped and knock-offs seem to be common.  If they're not patented, why can't we just make an impression (front and back) of one that someone already has and then make a mold out of the impression?  It's simple plastic and making a mold shouldn't be difficult.  We could even have a local shop work it up for us at a modest cost.