Game ends via time limit, opposing team has inaccurate score book

Guest jake
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2207 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Game today, ended in what we think is a 12-11 win.  Home team has only 9 players, only able to keep home hitting stats. Visitor team has 11 but as told their book was not fully kept. 

come 8th inning we rally from 8 to 12 runs. Umpires call time saying time of 3 hours has passed and game is officially over. Current batter would strike out to end game on time.  

Home team is under impression they had come back to win. Visitior manager states their book wasnt kept fully. 

Umpires submit different score results to league for results. Home manager submits scorebook to league to show backing support. 

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure what backing support the home team could provide.   They have zero evidence of what the visiting team scored.   You haven't said if they claimed that they scored 14 runs, or that you only scored 10.  Sounds to me like you went into the last inning being told by the visiting team how many runs they had, and then they "found" some more runs.   If that's the case, your score sheet is useless.

Depends on what the league rules are.

If the home team is responsible for the "official" score I'm not rewarding them for shirking their responsibility - you're telling me no one had a friend, kid, spouse at the game?  Otherwise, get in the habit of remembering what the other team did and when you come in from the field quickly update the score sheet - been there done that.

9 hours ago, Guest jake said:

Game today, ended in what we think is a 12-11 win.  Home team has only 9 players, only able to keep home hitting stats. Visitor team has 11 but as told their book was not fully kept. 

I am interpreting the line in red (my edit) to mean the visitors did not keep their end of the book. The home team not keeping hitting stats does not tell me they did not record runs, just the stats of who did what.

If this is the case, then in most leagues the home book is the official book. If both teams due to not properly recording the game have an issue, then most likely the league will defer to the home book, assuming they kept a running score throughout the game.

My opinion, as a BOD member for my kids league?... I would vote to invalidate both teams 'evidence' and record the game as a tie or a loss for both... if the record keeping was so bad, how do you really make an informed decision?

well if one team only has 9 guys how would they keep score for other side ?? bring book into the field during the game and keep score during play ? we have done that actually in our league before. 

33 minutes ago, Guest jake said:

well if one team only has 9 guys how would they keep score for other side ?? bring book into the field during the game and keep score during play ? we have done that actually in our league before. 

Typically, someone brings SOMEONE to the game that can do it.  And in those cases where you literally don't have anyone, one or two people are assigned to memorize the action and record it as soon as they get off the field each inning   

If you are in a league that requires the home team to submit the official score, or for both teams to submit their score sheets, not having a tenth person to record the score is not accepted as an excuse for not meeting your obligations.  So, in short, figure it out.