Chest Protector

Mussgrass
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2857 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am looking for recommendations for hard shell CP's for a smaller framed man. I am 5'7" 155 lbs. Currently have a soft shell but would like a hard shell especially to move up to bigger kids.

All price ranges are open for consideration.

Jeff

• Like 1

I'm 5'6", 170 lbs, and my West Gold fits quite nicely. If you are ever in the Newton, PA, area, stop in at All Sports Officials and try on various CPs--the Gold, Platinum, Force 3, etc. You are in Lancaster, right? I know that Newton is not really close to you, but if you can get there.... I found great differences in how different CPs fit me.

24 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I'm 5'6", 170 lbs, and my West Gold fits quite nicely. If you are ever in the Newton, PA, area, stop in at All Sports Officials and try on various CPs--the Gold, Platinum, Force 3, etc. You are in Lancaster, right? I know that Newton is not really close to you, but if you can get there.... I found great differences in how different CPs fit me.

Yes, I am in Lancaster County. I agree, it is best to try things on before buying if possible. 

I am sorry but I have never heard of Newton, PA. Can't be really far away if you are in SE PA as well.

I second what @LRZ said. All Sports Officials is a great place to go to find many brands of gear including Force 3. The guys there are great. I like to try on stuff before buying so ASO is a great place to go!

I've got bicep extensions on my CP (a Diamond iX3). In high school and tournament ball I've maybe been hit there once or twice in the last three years. In rec ball (where the catchers don't ... well... catch), I get hit there probably 1 out of every 10 games. If they offered full-arm-length extensions, I'd be even happier.

Edited by kylehutson
clarification

I've got bicep extensions on my All Star soft shell but I don't remember getting hit there in 11 or 12 games of 12U rec ball. Did take a foul ball off the forearm. Felt that for a couple of days.

So far it sounds like the best fit within my price range is the most important consideration. For me, having it fit tight enough at the neck to protect the collar bones is one of the main criteria. I returned my first soft shell to Play It Again Sports after I got it home and decided the neck wasn't tight enough.

Here we go again. I will quote myself from the recent "skull cap" discussion:

"There have been similar discussions (and disagreements) on this forum about items like thigh and forearm pads. If you need the protection, don't worry unduly about how it looks. As amateurs, we have jobs, family lives and responsibilities. As long as I'm outfitted appropriately--clean uniform, polished shoes, required patches, etc.--I would not jeopardize my health and well-being because someone might think I'm dressed oddly."

The only part of catsbackr's post I agree with is "just my opinion." I worked with a guy who wore a forearm guard because he had previously broken a bone and didn't want to go through that again. Is that the kind of "occasional shot" we should accept? With catchers who can't catch? And "looks terrible" to whom? Coaches and parents, whose opinions we routinely deride? Sorry, I'll take "look terrible" over potential for serious injury every day. Mussgrass, pick the camp you decide is right for you, at the level of baseball you work.

17 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

Just my opinion, but, don't use bicep extensions or forearm guards.  It looks just terrible.  Put up with the occasional shot or call soccer.

While I'm admittedly "old school" in a lot of ways, I think wearing extra protection...or not...depends a lot on the level of ball you call and how often you take hits. Sure, if you're calling varsity high school and anything above that, arm pads and bicep extensions are gonna get you some strange looks. But remember, a lot of guys (with maybe not a whole lot of training on plate stance and positioning) are out there calling little league, travel and rec ball, where the pitching and catching skills can be lacking (or nearly nonexistent). If someone relies on his arms to make a living, he's not going to care about what the mommies and daddies in the stands think of his arm pads. It's self preservation.

IMO - the bicep and forearm pads are OK at younger levels but, if you stay in the slot or even the super slot, the shots do get very rare on the arms/wrists. I have never been hit where the bicep pad would be. I work levels from LL majors to D-1, and the slot seems to be the answer for me. I use the same stance and slot for every level.

I have only been hit on the arms - maybe 2-3 times in the last few years. Keep your elbows in, hands protected and stay in the slot. Of course the occasional shot will connect, but your chances go way down. Stay out of the 'kill zone'.

20 minutes ago, maineump said:

IMO - the bicep and forearm pads are OK at younger levels but, if you stay in the slot or even the super slot, the shots do get very rare on the arms/wrists. I have never been hit where the bicep pad would be. I work levels from LL majors to D-1, and the slot seems to be the answer for me. I use the same stance and slot for every level.

I have only been hit on the arms - maybe 2-3 times in the last few years. Keep your elbows in, hands protected and stay in the slot. Of course the occasional shot will connect, but your chances go way down. Stay out of the 'kill zone'.

I always stay in the slot. When I did get hit in the forearm it may have been when the batter was back away from the plate and the catcher outside a bit. You know 12U!

1 hour ago, Mussgrass said:

I always stay in the slot. When I did get hit in the forearm it may have been when the batter was back away from the plate and the catcher outside a bit. You know 12U!

...or when a pitch comes way inside and the batter bails. And again, the catcher has no idea that getting out of his crouch is in the realm of possibility.

On June 30, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Mussgrass said:

I am looking for recommendations for hard shell CP's for a smaller framed man. I am 5'7" 155 lbs. Currently have a soft shell but would like a hard shell especially to move up to bigger kids.

All price ranges are open for consideration.

Jeff

Very comprehensive buying guide here that discusses what's best for smaller or taller umpires and much more. Always one click away while on a chest protector product page: https://www.ump-attire.com/Buyers-Guide/Umpire-Chest-Protector-Buying-Guide

Good luck and smart move on the upgrade.

• Like 1

5-9 / 175 and I use the Champion P200 (w/ DeltaFlex harness) after a seeing it on a fellow umpire about your size (or maybe smaller).  Hard shell that I've used for HS Varsity and 19U travel tournaments.  I'm sure there are some that offer a bit more protection but I've taken foul balls off the shoulders, under arm and chest and am no worse for wear.  I have no fear wearing with F1's throwing in the upper 80's.  As it is the only CP I've used, I cannot speak on the others but for the price, appears to be a great value for protection / $ spent.