Unruly Fan - How would you handle?

HammerPIAA
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3249 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

That actually happened to me at a college game...cute student decided to start a conversation with me while I was in my secluded area. It was interesting, to say the least.

​Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

• Like 1

Have not had that happen, only thing that comes close was after Varsity game players from both teams came over to shake my hand and say thank you which I feel shows not only good sportsmanship and coaching but good parenting. Had one fan on losing team tell me I should not do that it looks bad. I walk off the field when game ends leaving baseballs at plate if I have the plate but the players ran up to me. Told the gentleman if we are trying the players respect and sportsmanship why would I not shake there hands we he had no reply told my partner thought so and we continued are walk to the car. How many of you would turn away from players that run up to you to shake your hand and say thank you, not any I believe.

Catsbacker I agree but when a player runs over and extends his hand I have a hard time not shaking his hand. Nice buck by the way.

​Agreed.  This is somewhat common here, and if you try to dodge the handshake you are often viewed as rude or anxious to go home if you try too hard to duck it.   I try to avoid handshakes, but I'd say it happens in almost half of my games with some players - especially in the 13 - 16 year old ages.   No way to not look like a jerk when you run away from a group of kids who have their arms outstretched and are saying good game.  Also, it's a good way to teach kids that "we respect the umpires even if we don't like all of their calls." 

Obviously, don't sit around waiting for it or go through the handshake line or anything but a friendly handshake is unavoidable some times.  

• Like 1

If HS players approach me after a ball game with their hands out, you're damn right I'm going to shake their hand(s)!  We expect good sportsmanship from them, they should expect it from us, as well.  

Having said that, I don't stand there waiting for everyone to come up to me to shake hands.  I continue to make my way off the diamond as this happens.  

• Like 1

Having said that, I don't stand there waiting for everyone to come up to me to shake hands.  I continue to make my way off the diamond as this happens.  

​I try and exit quickly too, look for a home coach to give the game balls to before they head off to their post game pow wow (we were told to insist on someone taking them as if we leave them at the plate, in the dugout, etc. and they go missing, we often get accused of not returning them).  Once the handoff is made, look for scocrekeeper to sign the scoresheet, then head to the parkiing lot, along the way some people offer their hand shake, so you comply, what u gonna do.  but if you don't make eye contact with people, you get less people wanting to shake hands/talk, etc.

With the little kids when they line up at the plate to shake the opposition's hands,  they always seem to wait there until the ump gives them the OK to start, what's with that?