Jump to content
  • 0

Two Quick Umpiring Coverage Questions


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4232 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Posted

1). I am on the bases. HIGH SCHOOL. I have never worked with my partner. Two outs. Bases empty and the batter hits the ball into the right field gap. He rounds third and heads home. The throw comes to the catcher and the runner stops to return to third. The catcher throws to third and the 3B swipes and misses the tag. I call safe and the home plate umpire calls out. I turn around a go to my usual spot after an inning in shallow right field. The 3B coach goes ballistic and my partner stands his ground and calls him out. I felt embarrassed that we both made the call. A couple of innings go by and I approach him in between innings. I was going to tell him not to worry and we'll talk later. He has the audacity to say it was his call because it was the first throw???. WHAT????...there's no way he's correct right?

2). Different game, I am on the bases in a high school game. I have never worked with my partner. No outs and runner on second. Dropped third strike and I am in "c" position. The batter runner runs to first and I go towards first base and in for a better angle. Bang-Bang out call. The runner runs to third on the throw. Who's call is that? I think the plate umpire should've hustled to third and it is his call.

Thank you for your input.

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

"I've got third if he goes" is one of the best shout-outs on the field. The BUs back is to you, but he knows you've got him covered, if it comes to that.

 

Good post.  One thing to add: the sender's communication is not complete until he gets the receiver's acknowledgment; i.e., vocally or a finger point or a thumbs-up or a wave off, etc. 

 

  • 0
Posted

 

"I've got third if he goes" is one of the best shout-outs on the field. The BUs back is to you, but he knows you've got him covered, if it comes to that.

 

Good post.  One thing to add: the sender's communication is not complete until he gets the receiver's acknowledgment; i.e., vocally or a finger point or a thumbs-up or a wave off, etc. 

 

 

And then follows it up with an "I'm here" if the runner does, in fact, try for third (and the ball is also coming to third), or with an "I;m going home" if the ball does not go to third.

  • Like 2
  • 0
Posted

 

 

"I've got third if he goes" is one of the best shout-outs on the field. The BUs back is to you, but he knows you've got him covered, if it comes to that.

 

Good post.  One thing to add: the sender's communication is not complete until he gets the receiver's acknowledgment; i.e., vocally or a finger point or a thumbs-up or a wave off, etc. 

 

 

And then follows it up with an "I'm here" if the runner does, in fact, try for third (and the ball is also coming to third), or with an "I;m going home" if the ball does not go to third.

 

One more point, since this is the "new umpires" section -- use your partner's name.  If you just say "I'm at third" then your partner might think it's F5 telling the coverage, or the coach yelling at the pitcher to "back up third.".  But, if you say "Cav, I'm at third" Cav will hear it and acknowledge it.

  • 0
Posted

And if you're being eval'd by your super, don't assume anything: just because he says he's there, look to make sure. 

  • 0
Posted

And if you're being eval'd by your super, don't assume anything: just because he says he's there, look to make sure. 

 

Yep.  More than once I have had a partner actually say he is at third and not even get 1/3 of the way down to the bag.  Gotta take a peek when you can.

 

One of the reasons I got into umpiring. Lazy, fat, disabled MF'rs who wouldn't cover plays at third.  Those calls can be crucial to both teams.

  • Like 1
  • 0
Posted

 

 

FWIW, in SoCal, the state instructional chair sent a memo that PU is to take the BR into third on a triple, going against the Fed mechanic. I think it was a good decision.

maybe I'm wrong (first time this year!) but I think the FED mechanic is to have PU take BR at third on a triple, while CCA and Pro have BU take the BR all the way around.

I disagree with having PU do it, but of course, if I'm in an area where that's what my boss wants me to do, I'll do it.

 

I mistyped. BU takes BR into third on a triple. Last year, we used the published Fed mechanic.

 

Funny. Just got an email from our HS association that PU is to take BR @3rd as per FED. When in Rome, I guess. 

  • 0
Posted

And if you're being eval'd by your super, don't assume anything: just because he says he's there, look to make sure.

Yeah, the look is good...I don't see the need to have a conversation back and forth. Sometimes it's too loud or windy to hear what he's saying...PU should verbalize, BU should always peek to make sure he's up there.

  • 0
Posted

Our association has the BU taking the runner to third when he comes in and pivots w/ no runners on. It's just across the field what's the big deal?

A quick head swivel w/ save the day and you gotta check to see what PU is doing if he doesn't state verbally.

  • 0
Posted

I really think it's overdoing it on a triple w/ no runners to take BR into third base.  

 

If an only if mobility of the BU is an issue should PU take BR into third on a triple.  

 

Do what your boss says.

×
×
  • Create New...