Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4355 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

 

 

 

 

I think what I'd do is call "Time", charge the HT with an offensive conference (If FED); tell the HTC he can't appeal BOOT; return B2 to 1st and then let it play out from there - At that point I'm assuming VTC has woken up to the BOOT issue and will appeal (or not).  If he appeals, B1 is out, B2 is removed and B2 returns to bat.  Getting an out for abandonment seems to me to be OO and needlessly grabbing the wrong end of the stick

If the defense is a clueless as the offense they might not appeal. Or, they might not be clueless and want to see who the next batter is. A later appeal might move them thought the top of the order. Then during the timeout the OC asks you who he should bat next. What do you tell him?

 

"The proper batter bats next, coach"

 

Disagree.  If I'm asked a specific question like that, I'm going to give as specific an answer as I can.  Maybe it's just "B2 (or #xx) is on first, so B3 (or whoever is after #xx) is the next batter" (especially if I don't have a line-up card).

 

Not my job to tell the coach who he should bat next.  Who he should bat next is up to the coach to decide. 

 

Really? So he asks a direct question... "is #13 up next?" and your answer is "you need to figure it out, I can't help"?

Posted

I think what I'd do is call "Time", charge the HT with an offensive conference (If FED); tell the HTC he can't appeal BOOT; return B2 to 1st and then let it play out from there - At that point I'm assuming VTC has woken up to the BOOT issue and will appeal (or not). If he appeals, B1 is out, B2 is removed and B2 returns to bat. Getting an out for abandonment seems to me to be OO and needlessly grabbing the wrong end of the stick

If the defense is a clueless as the offense they might not appeal. Or, they might not be clueless and want to see who the next batter is. A later appeal might move them thought the top of the order. Then during the timeout the OC asks you who he should bat next. What do you tell him?

"The proper batter bats next, coach"

Disagree. If I'm asked a specific question like that, I'm going to give as specific an answer as I can. Maybe it's just "B2 (or #xx) is on first, so B3 (or whoever is after #xx) is the next batter" (especially if I don't have a line-up card).

Not my job to tell the coach who he should bat next. Who he should bat next is up to the coach to decide.

Really? So he asks a direct question... "is #13 up next?" and your answer is "you need to figure it out, I can't help"?

I am sure that wouldn't end well.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
Taking a hint from @LRZ, B2 is out for abandonment and you wait to see what happens next. If the out for abandonment is a play, B3 is the next proper batter.

 

Under what circumstances could an abandonment call be considered a play ?

...if your post was a tongue-in-cheek respnse, nevermind.

Posted

Taking a hint from @LRZ, B2 is out for abandonment and you wait to see what happens next. If the out for abandonment is a play, B3 is the next proper batter.

Under what circumstances could an abandonment call be considered a play ?

...if your post was a tongue-in-cheek respnse, nevermind.

Thus the "if" in my post. Would an abandonment call be a play?

Posted

I can safely say that in over 30 years of umpiring, I've NEVER had a offensive team's coach ask me "who's up next?"...and I've had PLENTY of coaches who were/are dumber than a bag of hammers.

 

Why are you insulting hammers?  ;)

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...