Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4430 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I just ordered my third career HSM. I ordered a black MVP 2500 helmet, this is going to be my third helmet. It is replacing my longtime Navy Colored Adidas Helmet(which was my first helmet, my second was a failed attempt at using a Black Shock FX). So now that I will be using a black helmet I have to look back and ask, was it "inappropriate" to be using a Navy Colored helmet? What do you guys think? Was it "smitty" or "inappropriate" for me to have been using a Navy colored helmet? Your input would be welcomed even though I am done using the Navy helmet. I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I honestly don't know, nobody I know here would be able to answer this, in my association all other HSM users use Royal Blue colored ones(they claim it stays color) and my Assignor sets no dress code for this type of thing(He wouldn't even know what I meant, he never was an umpire in his lifetime he's a logistics major).

Posted

no, it was fine..........

Ok thanks, I have black now but when I bought the Navy one I was working full time for a recreation league(now I do travel mostly some rec) so I just wanted an HSM as cheap as I could get one. I never even thought that much about the color until I got to this site, but I never thought about it then, uniforms didn't exist in that league. The standard was to use your team jersey if you were playing or had played in the 13-16 league along with a pair of shorts, so color in helmet wasn't even a thought.

Posted

no, it was fine..........

Ok thanks, I have black now but when I bought the Navy one I was working full time for a recreation league(now I do travel mostly some rec) so I just wanted an HSM as cheap as I could get one. I never even thought that much about the color until I got to this site, but I never thought about it then, uniforms didn't exist in that league. The standard was to use your team jersey if you were playing or had played in the 13-16 league along with a pair of shorts, so color in helmet wasn't even a thought.fuggeddabowdit
Posted

 

 

no, it was fine..........

Ok thanks, I have black now but when I bought the Navy one I was working full time for a recreation league(now I do travel mostly some rec) so I just wanted an HSM as cheap as I could get one. I never even thought that much about the color until I got to this site, but I never thought about it then, uniforms didn't exist in that league. The standard was to use your team jersey if you were playing or had played in the 13-16 league along with a pair of shorts, so color in helmet wasn't even a thought. fuggeddabowdit

 

Believe it or not many of my relatives from NY really do talk like that.

Posted

Put your past behind you.  Don't let the fashionistas and gear junkies confuse you.  If you know the rules and mechanics and manage the game properly, your appearance will be a forgotten issue by the second inning.

Posted

When I came back to umpiring I wore my son's royal blue catcher's helmet. After 6 months or so I switch to masks. After seeing others get injured I went back to HSMs. I have the steel Shock FX and the MVP 2500 like you. Black matches my shirts and makes you look like an umpire rather then a volunteer that borrow a catcher's helmet.

  • Like 1
Posted

When I came back to umpiring I wore my son's royal blue catcher's helmet. After 6 months or so I switch to masks. After seeing others get injured I went back to HSMs. I have the steel Shock FX and the MVP 2500 like you. Black matches my shirts and makes you look like an umpire rather then a volunteer that borrow a catcher's helmet.

So you volunteer for 6 months or so because you borrow your son's royal blue helmet?

Posted

I understand where @KenBAZ is coming from, @gnhbua93... When you're using catcher's gear for an umpiring job, it doesn't look _quite right_. It does the job, but to a percentage of coaches, players, fans, and colleagues (evaluators, trainers, mentors, etc.), it doesn't look like you "look the part" cohesively, and thus, you possibly don't know your job (and the rules, etc) comprehensively.

If a red mask is all you've got, and you've got a game to do, are you going to pass up on the game? No, you shouldn't have to. Should you be wearing a red mask to call games? Probably not. Here's a better question — if you are purchasing new gear, and have all the options in front of you, which _should_ you get?

Thought so.

I have a black-padded & harnessed mask for games I wear black trim, and I have a tan-padded and navy-harnessed mask for when I wear navy trim.

You are, and _were_, alright @BaltimoreUmpire.

Posted

Ok thanks guys, I mostly asked so I know if a sticky situation were to happen and my 2500 couldn't be used if my Navy helmet would be ok to use, so I probably will carry it as my spare.

×
×
  • Create New...