Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4478 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have platinum shins size 17.  Thinking about getting the UE shins should I get 16.5 or 18.5? when I measure myself like they say Im right at 17 inches. How do they run?

Posted

I measured and it said 16.5 for me. I tried on a friend's 18.5 before I ordered. I'm glad I did. I like them high up above my knees. I previously wore 17.5 DaviShins and the 18.5 UEs fit very close to those.

Posted

I measured and it said 16.5 for me. I tried on a friend's 18.5 before I ordered. I'm glad I did. I like them high up above my knees. I previously wore 17.5 DaviShins and the 18.5 UEs fit very close to those.

Are DaviShins any good? I hear a lot if jokes about them and the DaviSheild
Posted

 

I measured and it said 16.5 for me. I tried on a friend's 18.5 before I ordered. I'm glad I did. I like them high up above my knees. I previously wore 17.5 DaviShins and the 18.5 UEs fit very close to those.

Are DaviShins any good? I hear a lot if jokes about them and the DaviSheild

 

 

The Davishield is a joke, but the shins are okay.  My legs measure at 17" from knee to foot, and I use the 16.5 UE.  I recall Jason from UE saying to size down if you are a tweener, but it's really about personal preference.  If you're a wuss like @Majordave, then you need as much plastic above the knee as you can get.   :biggrin:

Posted

I measured and it said 16.5 for me. I tried on a friend's 18.5 before I ordered. I'm glad I did. I like them high up above my knees. I previously wore 17.5 DaviShins and the 18.5 UEs fit very close to those.

Are DaviShins any good? I hear a lot if jokes about them and the DaviSheilddavishins rock!
Posted

@grayhawk

It's not that I'm a wuss, Steve.

It's due to the fact that I'm getting old and it takes so freaking long to heal.

Injuries from baseball slow me down when mountain biking and when participating in my favorite sport of nocturnal full contact sports and really hard specialized workouts targeting a couple specific muscle groups that I participate in with a certain member of the opposite sex as often as possible.

To answer the original post question, they are good light shinguards. Unless you work baseball where they regularly throw in the high 80's and into the 90's. A couple of high heaters in college games found me and thus I upgraded to UE.

Hahaha.

  • Like 1
Posted

Injuries from baseball slow me down when mountain biking and when participating in my favorite sport of nocturnal full contact sports and really hard specialized workouts targeting a couple specific muscle groups that I participate in with a certain member of the opposite sex as often as possible.

 

 

All Stars play through the pain, Dave.

Posted

@grayhawk

It's not that I'm a wuss, Steve.

It's due to the fact that I'm getting old and it takes so freaking long to heal.

Injuries from baseball slow me down when mountain biking and when participating in my favorite sport of nocturnal full contact sports and really hard specialized workouts targeting a couple specific muscle groups that I participate in with a certain member of the opposite sex as often as possible.

To answer the original post question, they are good light shinguards. Unless you work baseball where they regularly throw in the high 80's and into the 90's. A couple of high heaters in college games found me and thus I upgraded to UE.

Hahaha.

So, you sleep a lot?

 

The UE shin guards are incredible.  I had a game yesterday, in a so called high quality tournament, where I was hit eight times.  One of which was about an 80 mph fastball which was untouched.  Catcher, " I called for a 2 and he threw a 1."  I was wearing a Plus Pos ZRO-G with stock pads. Startled me and pissed me off, but didn't hurt me.  The one that hurt was the foul ball off the catcher's mitt and into the side of my cup and thigh.  Plus the one in the fat muscle.  Plus the one in the thigh. Plus the direct shot to the toe.  Plus the direct shot to the, you get the picture. 

Posted

I measured at 17" and I went with the 18.5". I agree with Majordave. Grayhawk is used to doing Little League baseball. He doesn't need the extra protection.  :wave:

Posted

I measured at 17" and I went with the 18.5". I agree with Majordave. Grayhawk is used to doing Little League baseball. He doesn't need the extra protection.  :wave:

 

The guy gets into the mentor program and now he's all uppity.

Posted

 

I measured at 17" and I went with the 18.5". I agree with Majordave. Grayhawk is used to doing Little League baseball. He doesn't need the extra protection.  :wave:

 

The guy gets into the mentor program and now he's all uppity.

 

So you guys are working firecracker tourney as well.  Wish you had time to work college ball. Would like to work with you.

Posted

 

 

I measured at 17" and I went with the 18.5". I agree with Majordave. Grayhawk is used to doing Little League baseball. He doesn't need the extra protection.  :wave:

 

The guy gets into the mentor program and now he's all uppity.

 

So you guys are working firecracker tourney as well.  Wish you had time to work college ball. Would like to work with you.

 

 

Yeah, but I just worked one game yesterday.  I don't have a ton of availability and I know Gary likes to assign guys that can work a bunch of games for this tourney.  I'm also junior to a lot of the guys on his roster, so I'm probably more of a fill-in at this point.  Magic is working quite a few games.

Posted

I am 6'0 and got the 18.5's. Perhaps the only negative thing about sizing up in these is there is a greater chance that your pants get caught on the top of the shins. It doesn't happen often but it happens. 

 

I love the UE CP & shins.

Posted

I love my Diamond ix3 shin guards. Been hit I don't know how many times and have not felt a thing.

Posted

Injuries from baseball slow me down when mountain biking and when participating in my favorite sport of nocturnal full contact sports and really hard specialized workouts targeting a couple specific muscle groups that I participate in with a certain member of the opposite sex as often as possible.

All Stars play through the pain, Dave. I came out to learn about UE shins and I was brutally reminded that this site is full of middle aged men with teenaged sense of humor. :shakehead:

  • Like 1
Posted

@grayhawk thanks for the pics I am 5-10 and 28 inch inseam on umpire pants. 18.5 would be way too long on me!

You're in the same boat as I am,  blessed with a short inseam. I wear the 16.5 and when squatting they tend to stick up a little. Don't freak out about this as they do loosen up  and and mold to your legs. If they didn't stick out you'd never know they were on.  They are incredibly light and protective.

Posted

 

 

Injuries from baseball slow me down when mountain biking and when participating in my favorite sport of nocturnal full contact sports and really hard specialized workouts targeting a couple specific muscle groups that I participate in with a certain member of the opposite sex as often as possible.

All Stars play through the pain, Dave. I came out to learn about UE shins and I was brutally reminded that this site is full of middle aged men with teenaged sense of humor. :shakehead:

 

Hey, I still pull the old untied shoe trick on players.  That is just immature on every level.  I hope I never grow up and stop having fun.

Posted

Yep! That's me. I'm 52 going on 15. Can't help it. Don't want to try anymore. I'm a barrel of laughs almost all the time. I used to want to be grown up then they sent me to Afghanistan. Tried to kill me. Several times. I gave up on growing up. Fun and laughs, as often as possible, is what's important. So long as it's not at someone else's expense. I think I avoid that most of the time.

If I'm offending you I apologize. I can probably help it but I choose to be who I am and apologize when I overstep my bounds. No harm intended.

  • Like 4
Posted

Yep! That's me. I'm 52 going on 15. Can't help it. Don't want to try anymore. I'm a barrel of laughs almost all the time. I used to want to be grown up then they sent me to Afghanistan. Tried to kill me. Several times. I gave up on growing up. Fun and laughs, as often as possible, is what's important. So long as it's not at someone else's expense. I think I avoid that most of the time.

If I'm offending you I apologize. I can probably help it but I choose to be who I am and apologize when I overstep my bounds. No harm intended.

An 18 year old can go to Afghanistan and be shot in defense of our country, but I have to eject him for chewing tobacco? As a retired Chief Petty Officer I tend to see things differently, kind of like Majordave. I'm not going to spend my time on a field being an as****e. Life is way too short to be miserable. I want to laugh and have a good time as much as I possibly can while I'm here.
  • Like 2
×
×
  • Create New...