FED Hybrid

tankmjg24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3716 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

There is some confusion over what is considered legal and what is considered illegal.  I have attached a picture (I am not an artist so it looks like crap haha) of one of the examples that has caused some debate in our area.  Basically, the pitcher has both heels on the rubber, however he is standing at an angle (body is facing towards 3rd base dugout).  What is the proper ruling, and does anyone know of any good resources that go in depth regarding legal vs. illegal? 

post-2484-0-06246800-1394983862.png

That's a legal windup position by definition. Non-pivot foot is on or behind the line that runs through the front edge of the pitching rubber. Pivot foot is in contact with the rubber No resources necessary other than the FED rule book (6-1-2). Edited: Got off my lazy butt and cited the rule book

That's a perfectly valid windup position. No requirement for either foot to be parallel or perpendicular to the plate in the windup, just that the non-pivot foot is on or behind a line with the front part of the plate. The non-pivot is indeed on that line, so it's legal.

But it's completely illegal as a set. Pivot foot is not parallel to front edge, non pivot is not wholly in front of the plate. The pitcher can only do two things in this position - pitch or step off with the pivot foot. Anything else and it's a balk.

Legal windup in FED, which determines the windup solely based on the feet.

"Facing the 3B dugout" might contravene OBR's requirement that "The pitcher shall stand facing the batter." 8.01(a) However, I don't know anyone who would address this particular infraction, unless he was clearly facing more toward 3B than HP.

"Facing the 3B dugout" might contravene OBR's requirement that "The pitcher shall stand facing the batter." 8.01(a) However, I don't know anyone who would address this particular infraction, unless he was clearly facing more toward 3B than HP.

It doesn't matter where he is facing in FED.  As you said - the position of the feet is all that matters.

What is the proper ruling, and does anyone know of any good resources that go in depth regarding legal vs. illegal? 

Windup: Free foot on or behind a line through the front of the rubber.

Set: Free foot entirely in front of a line through the front of the rubber AND pivot foot parallel to the rubber.

Hybrid:  Illegal because the pivot foot indicates "windup" and the free foot indicates "set"

• Like 1

How would you rule on Cliff Lee or J P Howell in OBR? Hint, the OBR set position also has the pitcher stand facing the batter.

The problem is there are multiple umpire associations within the area.  Team A might use group A for all their home games but then have Group B during one away game and then Group C for another then Group D etc.  A certain member of Group B (who is not in my association) claims that he went to a clinic and that it was instructed at said clinic that both feet had to be parallel on the pitching plate at a 90 degree angle to the pitching plate. He has been instructing teams, coaches, players, and other umpires this.  Group C could really care less and their motto is "Just play baseball."  My group (which all are in agreeance with what has been posted regarding said stance) has done a pretty good job of explaining it to our members and teams.  On top of all this, there is a large number of kids who receive private pitching lessons and play travel ball where the Hybrid is encouraged and ignored by many.  As you can tell, it is going to be a fun start to the season :)

The problem is there are multiple umpire associations within the area.  Team A might use group A for all their home games but then have Group B during one away game and then Group C for another then Group D etc.  A certain member of Group B (who is not in my association) claims that he went to a clinic and that it was instructed at said clinic that both feet had to be parallel on the pitching plate at a 90 degree angle to the pitching plate. He has been instructing teams, coaches, players, and other umpires this.  Group C could really care less and their motto is "Just play baseball."  My group (which all are in agreeance with what has been posted regarding said stance) has done a pretty good job of explaining it to our members and teams.  On top of all this, there is a large number of kids who receive private pitching lessons and play travel ball where the Hybrid is encouraged and ignored by many.  As you can tell, it is going to be a fun start to the season :)

Just call it like YOU see it.  It's all anyone can do.  You know what the rule says (it's been stated and talked about here), so you have that....right?