Close play at 3rd from B position

spiffdawg7
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3694 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I would suggest less than 2 outs to start in C so you have both angles better.  This way you also can get in easy position for a round down situation witht he runner on 3rd breaking on a ground ball.  Especially in HS.

No. The only time you should be in C is when 3B is at risk of a steal from a runner on 2B. Number of outs don't matter.

• Like 1

The only time you should be in C is when 3B is at risk of a steal from a runner on 2B. Number of outs don't matter.

Sez who? In my state, we have to use FED mechanics, which put the BU in C whenever runners are on base, except when a steal of 2B is possible (R1 only, or R1/R3).

Pro mechanics put BU in C with R3 only and R2/R3, when no steal of 3B is possible.

Not sure whose mechanics you're looking at...

There are three options:

1) Be in B whenever a steal of second is possible; otherwise be in C

2) Be in C whenever a steal of third is possible; otherwise be in B

3) Be in C whenever there's R2 or R3; otherwise be in B.

Some change the above based on the number of outs.

You can always come up with a play where someone will say "well if only the umpire had been in the other spot he would have got that right."

I've used all of them over the years and different organizations have changed from one to the other.

Personally, I like #1, irregardless of the number of outs.

The only time you should be in C is when 3B is at risk of a steal from a runner on 2B. Number of outs don't matter.

Sez who? In my state, we have to use FED mechanics, which put the BU in C whenever runners are on base, except when a steal of 2B is possible (R1 only, or R1/R3).

Pro mechanics put BU in C with R3 only and R2/R3, when no steal of 3B is possible.

I am using Fed mechanics. They want us in B unless "3B is in imminent danger of being stolen."

I am using Fed mechanics. They want us in B unless "3B is in imminent danger of being stolen."

You are using IHSA mechanics and last I knew they were different from FED mechanics.

Maven:

This is what we were taught at our HS clinic this year as well.

Edit: Sorry tried to edit posting and it took out the quote feature......

That's not the FED mechanic. P. 40 of the FED 2013-14 Umpire manual: "This position [C] will be used in any situation with runners occupying bases other than first base in the two-man system."

They don't mean quite that, however, since with R1/R3 they have the BU in B (p. 56).

So I'm not sure where this mechanic comes from, but it is not the FED manual.

You are using IHSA mechanics and last I knew they were different from FED mechanics.

You are probably right. We have to follow the State's mechanics which have been the same for several years now. 

That's not the FED mechanic. P. 40 of the FED 2013-14 Umpire manual: "This position [C] will be used in any situation with runners occupying bases other than first base in the two-man system."

They don't mean quite that, however, since with R1/R3 they have the BU in B (p. 56).

So I'm not sure where this mechanic comes from, but it is not the FED manual.

Illinois uses their own mechanics different from Fed.  Too bad they can't agree.

Illinois uses their own mechanics different from Fed.  Too bad they can't agree.

Doesn't matter that much, if you and your partners are all on the same page. Issues would likely arise only if you left the state and claimed you were working FED mechanics...

• 2 weeks later...

Sez our state mechanics manual. R1 and R3, B position. But away from the "which position is proper" discussion, if you go to "C" with this set-up, there will be the same perception on a pick-off throw to 1B, right ?

Sez our state mechanics manual. R1 and R3, B position. But away from the "which position is proper" discussion, if you go to "C" with this set-up, there will be the same perception on a pick-off throw to 1B, right ?

Pete, I'm not sure you're following the thread: the standard mechanic is to be in B only when a steal of 2B is possible. The IL manual (apparently) puts them in B all the time unless a steal of 3B is possible.

The only situations where IL will be different are R3 only, R2/R3, and bases loaded, where IL puts them in B.

WAC official I worked with (at a lower level) uses "most likely scenario" for umpiring, and teaches this to the guys he assigns in N.Cal.

R3, RH batter, he goes to B.  Better look at check swing, out of the hitter's power alley, play likely going to 1st.

R3, LH batter, he goes to C for the first 2 reasons.

Just a thought.  

• Like 1

Pete, I'm not sure you're following the thread: the standard mechanic is to be in B only when a steal of 2B is possible. The IL manual (apparently) puts them in B all the time unless a steal of 3B is possible.

The only situations where IL will be different are R3 only, R2/R3, and bases loaded, where IL puts them in B.

You sir, are correct. Reading is, indeed, fundamental.

• Like 1

WAC official I worked with (at a lower level) uses "most likely scenario" for umpiring, and teaches this to the guys he assigns in N.Cal.

R3, RH batter, he goes to B.  Better look at check swing, out of the hitter's power alley, play likely going to 1st.

R3, LH batter, he goes to C for the first 2 reasons.

Just a thought.  

First reason is irrelevant. Second reason should be secondary to the third reason.

All I can say about this situation is that this will happen in 2 man. I would only add that you should not move to anticipate a throw to second. The throw to third could (and did) cause you to be out of position or looking in the wrong direction.