Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4599 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

So after 10 years with the same set of shin guards I have finally decided to update them.  Currently, I can get the Diamond Featherweight (http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DLG-LITE&Category_Code=SHIN-GUARDS&Product_Count=7) at a discount for $40.  I have some friends who use these and swear by them, however reading some of the reviews some state that they do not provide much protection for high school and above.  I tried on a pair and they are really comfortable and you feel as if you do not even have shin guards on.  I had a baseball thrown off them while I was wearing them and did not feel anything, however this was not at 80+ mph haha.  Anyone have a positive or negative experience with these?  Thanks

Posted

If you want them Homerun Monkey has the best price at $32.99 plus they have a 15% off all purchases right now. You can buy them for under $30 plus shipping now. I just purchased a few things from them.

Posted

I've had 2 pair. I loved the light weight. Protection seemed OK. My 1st pair were the older model with the gap below the knee. Used them for 3 years, and last spring, the beginning of the 4th season, the knee plate began to crack at the rivet. I figured not bad for 3 years, $40, and bought another. Lasted the season, but in fall ball, I took a fastball off the knee. Hardest shot I ever took off the knee. Felt it, but I was fine. Get back to the car, and the knee plate is cracked from the rivet, completely across the whole knee plate. (vertically)

 

I don't think the pitch was even 75-80mph. I've upgraded to the force 3 for this season. If the snow ever stops, and melts, maybe I can give them a try! 

 

I wouldn't recommend them for anything over youth (14u) ball. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I've had 2 pair. I loved the light weight. Protection seemed OK. My 1st pair were the older model with the gap below the knee. Used them for 3 years, and last spring, the beginning of the 4th season, the knee plate began to crack at the rivet. I figured not bad for 3 years, $40, and bought another. Lasted the season, but in fall ball, I took a fastball off the knee. Hardest shot I ever took off the knee. Felt it, but I was fine. Get back to the car, and the knee plate is cracked from the rivet, completely across the whole knee plate. (vertically)

 

I don't think the pitch was even 75-80mph. I've upgraded to the force 3 for this season. If the snow ever stops, and melts, maybe I can give them a try! 

 

I wouldn't recommend them for anything over youth (14u) ball. 

Not a knock on your buying habits here. If you're going to have to spend $40 every 3 years for shin guards, why not spend the money for good shin guards like Unequal or Wilsons? They provide a lot more protection and will last you for years. Invest wisely in your safety. 

 

And I love those Unequal Force 3 shin guards. Best pair I've ever owned.

Posted

 

I've had 2 pair. I loved the light weight. Protection seemed OK. My 1st pair were the older model with the gap below the knee. Used them for 3 years, and last spring, the beginning of the 4th season, the knee plate began to crack at the rivet. I figured not bad for 3 years, $40, and bought another. Lasted the season, but in fall ball, I took a fastball off the knee. Hardest shot I ever took off the knee. Felt it, but I was fine. Get back to the car, and the knee plate is cracked from the rivet, completely across the whole knee plate. (vertically)

 

I don't think the pitch was even 75-80mph. I've upgraded to the force 3 for this season. If the snow ever stops, and melts, maybe I can give them a try! 

 

I wouldn't recommend them for anything over youth (14u) ball. 

Not a knock on your buying habits here. If you're going to have to spend $40 every 3 years for shin guards, why not spend the money for good shin guards like Unequal or Wilsons? They provide a lot more protection and will last you for years. Invest wisely in your safety. 

 

And I love those Unequal Force 3 shin guards. Best pair I've ever owned.

 

You can knock my buying habits. It probably wasn't wise to buy them again. Like I said, I liked the light weight, and the protection had seemed adequate. I thought maybe with the newer design, (eliminating that gap under the knee) that perhaps they took care of the cracking @the rivet problem. Live and learn.

 

Maybe it was for the best. Had I upgraded to wilson's or something similar this past spring instead of a 2nd pr of diamond-lites, I would not have been in the market this fall when the force 3's were introduced!  I did get to wear them for some cage work a few weeks ago and I was happy with the feel, and I'm sure the protection will be 2nd to none. 

Posted

My recommendation is to steer clear of these shin guards. I bought a pair, used them a couple of games, took a foul ball off one of them, really felt it, gave them away.

Posted

I have them as well.  I took a shot in a HS fall ball game last year that really hurt.  It felt like I got bit by a dog (I know the feeling).  As others have said, they are fine for lower level ball, but not for JV or above.

×
×
  • Create New...