Test Question

JamesC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3713 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The set position is defined by foot placement on the rubber. The Set is when the pitcher brings his hands together and stops.

So in the windup the pitcher can't stop with hands together???

Odd. But don't forget FED calls the "pre set" the set position. We all know once a pitcher comes set after the stretch he cannot turn the shoulders. so..bottom line...bad question. 

What is this "pre-set" you speak of ?  There are two legal pitching positions: The set, and the wind-up. They are differentiated between, and defined by, the position of the pitcher's feet, relative to the pitcher's plate.

The period between engaging the rubber in the set position and coming set = "pre-set"

Odd. But don't forget FED calls the "pre set" the set position. We all know once a pitcher comes set after the stretch he cannot turn the shoulders. so..bottom line...bad question. 

What is this "pre-set" you speak of ?  There are two legal pitching positions: The set, and the wind-up. They are differentiated between, and defined by, the position of the pitcher's feet, relative to the pitcher's plate.

The period between engaging the rubber in the set position and coming set = "pre-set"

Where could one find this wording ? I do not recall ever seeing it in a rule book or umpire manual.

Where could one find this wording ? I do not recall ever seeing it in a rule book or umpire manual.

Just trying to explain what the previous post meant when it referred to the "pre-set".  It's not a rule

Just trying to explain what the previous post meant when it referred to the "pre-set".  It's not a rule

Ahhh... that period when F1 is a fielder, rather than a pitcher. Got ya.....

• Like 1

I had a 5-A HS varsity coach telling me the following was a balk...I think he may have been testing me to see what I could be talked into.

F1 enters into the set position in not the most "correct" manner, but nothing illegal, IMO. RHP is behind/left of rubber, the ball is in his glove. He steps with his pivot foot onto the rubber, and then steps with his free foot in front of the rubber. As he takes these two steps to get into the set position he transfers the ball into his pitching hand and then leans in for the sign. This HC wanted me to balk him if he transferred the ball after he touched the rubber with his pivot foot (double set).

I tried to explain to him that F1 is in the process of engaging the rubber (not yet engaged) when he transferred the ball. We already have one umpire in the chapter that calls silly balks like that.I don't want to be another one.

I had a 5-A HS varsity coach telling me the following was a balk...I think he may have been testing me to see what I could be talked into.

F1 enters into the set position in not the most "correct" manner, but nothing illegal, IMO. RHP is behind/left of rubber, the ball is in his glove. He steps with his pivot foot onto the rubber, and then steps with his free foot in front of the rubber. As he takes these two steps to get into the set position he transfers the ball into his pitching hand and then leans in for the sign. This HC wanted me to balk him if he transferred the ball after he touched the rubber with his pivot foot (double set).

I tried to explain to him that F1 is in the process of engaging the rubber (not yet engaged) when he transferred the ball. We already have one umpire in the chapter that calls silly balks like that.I don't want to be another one.

Well, the pitching regs say that the restrictions start as soon as F1 intentionally touches the rubber, so the step with the free foot was as a balk, as was the transfer.  Award R1 third. :0

Another example of where the rule does not really mean what it says.  It means that the restrictions begin after the pitcher gets comfortable on the rubber.

As long as it was all pretty much one move, then let it go.  If there was a delay between the step and the transfer, then balk it.

I thought about telling HC that the step was improper too, but I didn't want to give him any ideas.

It was all one motion, it never even occured to me that there was a problem until he brought it up, and then my initial incredulous response was , "that?...you want me to balk that ?"