Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4799 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

A team from Japan is traveling to the Jersey shore next week and will be playing a 3-game series against a NJ Dist 11 13 year old all star team.  There will be 3 games next Saturday (8/24).  I have volunteered to work 1 game (my football scrimmages also start this week, and I don't like to mix sports).  It's all volunteer and then there is a barbecue at the Elks lodge afterward.

 

As of now I think it's 2-man, 3-man and 3-man.  If anybody is going to be in the area and would like to be part of it, let me know.  The games will be held at the Neptune HS varsity field at 9, 11, & 1.

  • Like 3
Posted

A team from Japan is traveling to the Jersey shore next week and will be playing a 3-game series against a NJ Dist 11 13 year old all star team.  There will be 3 games next Saturday (8/24).  I have volunteered to work 1 game (my football scrimmages also start this week, and I don't like to mix sports).  It's all volunteer and then there is a barbecue at the Elks lodge afterward.

 

As of now I think it's 2-man, 3-man and 3-man.  If anybody is going to be in the area and would like to be part of it, let me know.  The games will be held at the Neptune HS varsity field at 9, 11, & 1.

They'll use as many umpires as they get, so they can all be 6 man.

Posted

Larry,

 

Cool. I've had the opportunity to work games with Japanese teams quite a few times over the last 7 years at an international tournament my association provides the umpires for that's held annually nearby. (I has the Japan team twice 2 weeks ago at this year's tourney.)

 

It's a lot of fun to work their games. A few observations that may or may not apply to the team coming to your area.

 

The players tend to have remarkably sound fundamentals for players their age. They are extremely disciplined, field well, know where to throw, rarely strike out, and are very aggressive on the base paths. They also feature "unorthodox" pitching styles and, occasionally pitches. They also engage in a LOT of "chatter" and "cheering" during the games. And their hustle is exemplary.

 

The players also tend to be extremely respectful of the umpires. The first time each batter comes to the plate, he gives a bow to the PU before entering the box. (I have taken to "bowing back" to them, though my bow is not as "deep" as theirs. Even when they don't like a call, I have never seen one of their players complain, whine, or act out their displeasure in any visible way.

 

Occasionally, when one of their players returns a foul ball to me, I say "Arigato." (Japanese for thank you.) Sometimes, I'll get a look of surprise and a smile from the player.

 

In my experience, it's a blast to work their games. Have fun.

 

JM

  • Like 4
Posted

I used to work international games in St. Louis with teams from Japan, Australia, and Europe. The foreign teams were always so much more respectful than the American teams, it was pathetic. But nonetheless, it was a blast. UmpJM is right on with his description of the Japanese teams. They play the game of baseball with dignity.

Posted

Wow. Wish I didn't have to work. :crybaby2:  I would have been more than happy to take a ride down the Parkway to part of it. Have fun!

Posted

A team from Japan is traveling to the Jersey shore next week and will be playing a 3-game series against a NJ Dist 11 13 year old all star team.  There will be 3 games next Saturday (8/24).  I have volunteered to work 1 game (my football scrimmages also start this week, and I don't like to mix sports).  It's all volunteer and then there is a barbecue at the Elks lodge afterward.

 

As of now I think it's 2-man, 3-man and 3-man.  If anybody is going to be in the area and would like to be part of it, let me know.  The games will be held at the Neptune HS varsity field at 9, 11, & 1.

Very cool. I had the opportunity to umpire a Team USA game in the mid 90's and the Japanese players were extremely polite.

×
×
  • Create New...