Ejection Mechanic

umpire_scott
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3955 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I was thinking about this the other day.  It's been so long since I've had an ejection that I don't even remember how I do it.  I know that every situation is a little different, but I would assume most umpires have a general mechanic that they use to eject a coach.

During a meeting/clinic a few weeks ago our association president brought up that he will generally call the coach over to talk privately and inform him at that point that he's been ejected.  He said usually this results in the coach becoming somewhat animated and then he does the non-verbal ejection signal.  

So what methods/mechanic do you guys generally use to eject a coach?

It really depends on how the ejection presents itself. Most players just get a finger flick. That means point at them and point at the gate. Then I tell the coach I need a replacement. Most coach ejections happen in the moment so they just get tossed. Whether it a small point and a boom depends on what happened. 

Personally I always take a step back from the coach if they are in close proximity,  as I loudly announce the fact they are now ejected I turn away from them so as the "arm swing" or "pitching" motion i use to eject will not be anywhere near the coaches person. The thinking here is to avoid inadvertent contact with the coach/player here, plus i am now facing away from them and it makes it a lot easier to begin walking away from them.  I will never call over a coach to inform them, that has the appearance of being an antagonist, and is asking for trouble.  Your mechanic aught to be big enough and loud enough that everyone knows what just happened. 

If the guy is in close proximity and everyone is watching him and me then I don't do a verbal just a step back and whack. If I'm tossing from the dugout or from afar ill point to my target and then heave.

Ive never been a big  fan of the big show "old heave ho".....oh it has its place..no doubt ..but sometimes that is just what they want.........just to incite the fans.......those types I wont give them that satisfaction............i try to remain calm and professional and then the ejection mechanic is just the same.............

Ive never been a big  fan of the big show "old heave ho".....oh it has its place..no doubt ..but sometimes that is just what they want.........just to incite the fans.......those types I wont give them that satisfaction............i try to remain calm and professional and then the ejection mechanic is just the same.............

If a pro umpire does it, I'll do it.

Professional umpires toss players and coaches with the "big hook" as part of the expected theatrics of the stage show we all love to watch. They give the demonstrative heave-ho, and the players and coaches get their monies worth. Or should I say, the fans get their monies worth. In an amature game, not all of the cast on the stage understand that this is just a traditional dance. They dont always know when their money is spent. My suggestion for us "amatures" is to be as less demonstrative as possible. A simple "flick" of the index finger with "you're done" works wonders. You're not challenging some asshole like a matador does a bull to get it more riled up. You're trying to diffuse a potential explosion on your field.

S

YMMV

Tim

• Like 7

If a pro umpire does it, I'll do it.

you are welcome to do as you see fit...........

I've always felt that just because our Pro brothers can do certain things ....it doesnt mean we should do the same.....In my OP, I agree that the "big heave ho" can have its place, but for most of the situations i find myself in, I just wont let a participant draw me out and make me look uncontrolled, angry or unprofessional .....

ive felt the same way about the strike 3 "punch out mechanic"..........I cringe when I see an umpire do a big pro imitation of the chainsaw mechanic on a 10yr old kid.,............

• Like 2

Professional umpires toss players and coaches with the "big hook" as part of the expected theatrics of the stage show we all love to watch. They give the demonstrative heave-ho, and the players and coaches get their monies worth. Or should I say, the fans get their monies worth. In an amature game, not all of the cast on the stage understand that this is just a traditional dance. They dont always know when their money is spent. My suggestion for us "amatures" is to be as less demonstrative as possible. A simple "flick" of the index finger with "you're done" works wonders. You're not challenging some asshole like a matador does a bull to get it more riled up. You're trying to diffuse a potential explosion on your field.

S

YMMV

Tim

Agreed.....I did give one big heave ho to coach who had it coming....The funny thing, As a lefty I really had to learn to give all my "out" calls with the right hand...Took a season and much reminding to get accustomed to this....But when I gave that big heave ho the one time to a coach, I went back to the left...lol....Got caught up in the moment...

• Like 1

Tim

Agreed.....I did give one big heave ho to coach who had it coming....The funny thing, As a lefty I really had to learn to give all my "out" calls with the right hand...Took a season and much reminding to get accustomed to this....But when I gave that big heave ho the one time to a coach, I went back to the left...lol....Got caught up in the moment...

Question on hands -- is it ever  considered acceptable to signal strikes with the left hand?  At a recent tournament had an umpire who did that regularly and I found it disconcerting.  (Since he also liked calling "inside" loudly on balls, I'm suspecting he was not well trained . . .)

Tim

Question on hands -- is it ever  considered acceptable to signal strikes with the left hand?  At a recent tournament had an umpire who did that regularly and I found it disconcerting.  (Since he also liked calling "inside" loudly on balls, I'm suspecting he was not well trained . . .)

:big_no

• Like 1

Tim

:big_no

Actually, yes. It's rare and I've only had to employ this advanced mechanic once, but when necessary you gotta do what you gotta do.

Got hit by a ball on the vee where thumb and finger meet on the wrist. It started to swell up immediately and froze up. Like a goof, I stayed in the game but couldn't grip the plate brush, couldn't pull a ball out of the bag, couldn't do much of anything. One of the team's trainers taped up an ice bag, so I wasn't about to swing it off by moving too much. Plus it hurt to make a fist!

So yea, I called strikes with the left hand.

Tim Agreed.....I did give one big heave ho to coach who had it coming....The funny thing, As a lefty I really had to learn to give all my "out" calls with the right hand...Took a season and much reminding to get accustomed to this....But when I gave that big heave ho the one time to a coach, I went back to the left...lol....Got caught up in the moment...
Question on hands -- is it ever considered acceptable to signal strikes with the left hand? At a recent tournament had an umpire who did that regularly and I found it disconcerting. (Since he also liked calling "inside" loudly on balls, I'm suspecting he was not well trained . . .) :big_no Actually, yes. It's rare and I've only had to employ this advanced mechanic once, but when necessary you gotta do what you gotta do. Got hit by a ball on the vee where thumb and finger meet on the wrist. It started to swell up immediately and froze up. Like a goof, I stayed in the game but couldn't grip the plate brush, couldn't pull a ball out of the bag, couldn't do much of anything. One of the team's trainers taped up an ice bag, so I wasn't about to swing it off by moving too much. Plus it hurt to make a fist! So yea, I called strikes with the left hand. So did you use the bad hand to call balls?

Tim

I know MLB umps and guys that still use the baseball hand signal will signal across their body to his left when a left handed batter receives a strike...The reasoning being that if you signal to your right with a left handed hitter in the box, that batter obstructs your hand signal to the fielders...But no, your left hand should not be used

Tim

I know MLB umps and guys that still use the baseball hand signal will signal across their body to his left when a left handed batter receives a strike...The reasoning being that if you signal to your right with a left handed hitter in the box, that batter obstructs your hand signal to the fielders...But no, your left hand should not be used

Or they could just hammer the strike in front of them and everyone sees that.

• Like 1

Tim

Or they could just hammer the strike in front of them and everyone sees that.

Very true....But I have done the traditional strike for years and actually hate the hammer strike...To me, that is and always will be the signal for an "Out" and not a strike.

On a dropped third strike that hammer motion can cause massive confusion as it looks as if the plate ump is calling the batter out rather than simply calling a strike.

• Like 1

My daughter is in the US Army....we took my 2 year old grandson to see a game played on post.............the HP umpire lost his right hand and most of his forearm in Iraq...........He can call balls and strikes with his left hand all day, any day...........

The rest of us havent earned that like he did.......

• Like 2

My daughter is in the US Army....we took my 2 year old grandson to see a game played on post.............the HP umpire lost his right hand and most of his forearm in Iraq...........He can call balls and strikes with his left hand all day, any day...........

The rest of us havent earned that like he did.......

Well of course in that situation.....I am a vet of the first gulf war and appreciate all that trooper has sacrificed