Ejection Mechanic

umpire_scott
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3942 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This may have been posted before but I'll share anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pmY2siYcQ

Ridiculous. Jackasses like those irritate me no end....

Agreed....I've always believed the best umps are those that are never noticed....In any sport.

If some of these guys were actually registered and part of the organizations I belong to, the head of these organizations would have a serious discussion with them

Usually I say "You're done!" But sometimes if a player of coach is being really annoying, I say "Goodbye!" as I throw him out. I find it adds a bit of sting that they sometimes deserve.

Agreed....I've always believed the best umps are those that are never noticed....In any sport.

If some of these guys were actually registered and part of the organizations I belong to, the head of these organizations would have a serious discussion with them

Every time someone trots out that quote, I always come back with this one, which sums up how I feel about the subject:

"One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. Control of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that show up for the players and the managers." - National League Umpire Bruce Froemming

• Like 3

Every time someone trots out that quote, I always come back with this one, which sums up how I feel about the subject:

"One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. Control of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that show up for the players and the managers." - National League Umpire Bruce Froemming

Coming from the loudest, biggest mouth in the history of officiating......Shocking....You can dance that quote out every single time and it is just a ridiculous generalization

Sure there are exceptions. Ron Luciano was hardly unnoticeable and yet, one of the very best to ever step on the field. But in general, when you as the umpire become the "Show" as we see in the above video, you take away from the game. I would much rather be unseen and generally unheard.

I take pride in the fact in that 15 years of umping I have only tossed a few coaches and I attribute some of that to being unseen and unheard except for making good calls

• Like 1

I have to agree with the above post. It's annoying as heck to me to watch a "larger-than-life" umpire work a game. Respect is earned on the diamond through hard work, hustle, sound judgment and rules knowledge, appearance; and a QUIET confidence. We insist that the players and coaches don't show us up, and the theatrical umpire constantly shows up the games participants. I've seen footage if you working in a big tourney, Rich. You certainly aren't the kind of "show boat umpire we're talking about.

Tim.

• Like 2

The problem with the old saw that the best-officials-aren't-noticed is that sometimes doing the job right requires you to be noticed.  Sometimes not being noticed is a good thing, and sometimes it just means the official is a milquetoast.  Sometimes being noticed by the players or coaches is what cools the heat of a congrontation.  And sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, you're going to be noticed.  IMHO officials in any sport who consider not being noticed a valid objective are doing a disservice.  Just do your job and get noticed when it happens.  There is a whole lot of space between not being noticed and making a show of yourself. 

• Like 4

I agree with Rich.

The problem with the old saw that the best-officials-aren't-noticed is that sometimes doing the job right requires you to be noticed.  Sometimes not being noticed is a good thing, and sometimes it just means the official is a milquetoast.  Sometimes being noticed by the players or coaches is what cools the heat of a congrontation.  And sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, you're going to be noticed.  IMHO officials in any sport who consider not being noticed a valid objective are doing a disservice.  Just do your job and get noticed when it happens.  There is a whole lot of space between not being noticed and making a show of yourself. 

I agree that we don't want to be noticed for the wrong reasons. The statement, I think, was made to mean, don't pull out a rule or insert yourself in a situation just to prove your knowledge or to be a jerk. By the same token don't pass on a rule or situation just so you don't make waves. 

I liked using the phrase "C ya" with the hook when the antagonist had usually run himself. Ex: drawing the line after a pitch". Or the straight point if they crossed the line in a conversation with the verbiage being "bill you are gone". Turn and let the partner do his job. "Silence can't be misquoted.

Maybe we're saying the same thing in a different tone. The point being pretty much what MT said. Being noticed for doing a good job is different than being noticed, well, just to be noticed. Some of the best games I've ever worked were games that almost called themselves. The players understood the game and played it at a high level, and mine and my partner's jobs went relatively unnoticed.

Tim.

• Like 1

Coming from the loudest, biggest mouth in the history of officiating......Shocking....You can dance that quote out every single time and it is just a ridiculous generalization

Sure there are exceptions. Ron Luciano was hardly unnoticeable and yet, one of the very best to ever step on the field. But in general, when you as the umpire become the "Show" as we see in the above video, you take away from the game. I would much rather be unseen and generally unheard.

I take pride in the fact in that 15 years of umping I have only tossed a few coaches and I attribute some of that to being unseen and unheard except for making good calls

It's no more ridiculous than the generalization that "good officials are ones you don't notice."

I go unnoticed 90% of the time.  The other 10% of the time I would be a poor official if I didn't step up and "be noticed."

Knowing the difference is the key.

• Like 4

I have to agree with the above post. It's annoying as heck to me to watch a "larger-than-life" umpire work a game. Respect is earned on the diamond through hard work, hustle, sound judgment and rules knowledge, appearance; and a QUIET confidence. We insist that the players and coaches don't show us up, and the theatrical umpire constantly shows up the games participants. I've seen footage if you working in a big tourney, Rich. You certainly aren't the kind of "show boat umpire we're talking about.

Tim.

Nothing is worse than an ump who show boats on a third strike call.....As a one time player and then manager, he would be chasing me from the field and afterwards I would lodge a complaint with that umps organization. The above video is without a doubt an extreme and I doubt some of them are schooled and registered umpires. Still, it is no excuse for simply wanting to be the show.

These players and especially these batters are human beings. Being called out on a third strike is bad enough, no need to rub salt into the wound by being so demonstrative.  It shows a lack of character and a lack of a true understanding of the game from the point of view of the athlete.

Tim.

Nothing is worse than an ump who show boats on a third strike call.....As a one time player and then manager, he would be chasing me from the field and afterwards I would lodge a complaint with that umps organization. The above video is without a doubt an extreme and I doubt some of them are schooled and registered umpires. Still, it is no excuse for simply wanting to be the show.

These players and especially these batters are human beings. Being called out on a third strike is bad enough, no need to rub salt into the wound by being so demonstrative.  It shows a lack of character and a lack of a true understanding of the game from the point of view of the athlete.

Guess you have never been a pitcher.

• Like 1

Tim.

There's a big difference between rewarding a pitcher with a firm called third strike mechanic and showing up the batter who just went down in flames.

Tim.

• Like 2

Tim.

There's a big difference between rewarding a pitcher with a firm called third strike mechanic and showing up the batter who just went down in flames.

Tim.

Agreed. When I have a pitcher that is throwing strikes and batters that leave that bat on their sholders - PITCHER wins!

Keep throwing strikes kid and watch the show!

Tim.

Tim.

Exactly...The pitcher wins either way. A simple, firm called third strike is ALL the pitcher needs to make him deliriously happy.....Anything more than that is showboating so the ump can be "The show"

Besides that, if I were ringing up many batters and acted in some crazy, demonstrative way, I'd be wore out by the time we got the game done....   :)

Tim.

Tim.

Exactly...The pitcher wins either way. A simple, firm called third strike is ALL the pitcher needs to make him deliriously happy.....Anything more than that is showboating so the ump can be "The show"

Besides that, if I were ringing up many batters and acted in some crazy, demonstrative way, I'd be wore out by the time we got the game done....   :)

Either one of you guys been to Evans or Harrys?

Tim.

Tim.

Either one of you guys been to Evans or Harrys?

I have not...Like Tim, (I am paraphrasing here so forgive me Tim if I'm not close enough) I am too old and have been doing it too long to do that....I'm happy working travel and soon high school again after from daughter is done with college ball.

Evans teaches that a tag play at the plate and a called third strike must be SOLD to EVERYONE!

Loud and clear.

No one disagrees with that...That is umping 101...But I am referring to the video...Those are so far overboard and classless.

Evans teaches that a tag play at the plate and a called third strike must be SOLD to EVERYONE!

Loud and clear.

No one disagrees with that...That is umping 101...But I am referring to the video...Those are so far overboard and classless.

Agreed