Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4997 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This could be in Situations, Rules or Mechanics, so I just picked this forum:

 

R2, R3, 1 out.  Coach asks BU how many outs before this play and is told there are 2 outs.  Batter hits a long fly to F8, and both runners are going on contact thinking there are 2 outs.  Ball is caught for the second out and F8 throws to F4 to double up R2, but not before R3 touches home.  There is no indication by PU about the run scoring or not.  Defense leaves the field and the OC walks to ask the umpire if the run scored and he is told that it doesn't bacause R3 left early.  OC says it should score because it wasn't appealed, but PU doesn't agree.  OC does not protest.

 

The above happened in a 13U AAU tournament game last weekend in which one of my friend's son was playing (I also know the OC).  I think we can all agree that the run should score on this time play absent an appeal, so:

 

1.  Should PU have verbally declared that the run scores?

2.  If OC protested and won, should the defense be allowed to now appeal for the 4th out to negate the run?  Since this was a tourney, if OC had protested, the game would be stopped for an immediate ruling by the TD.  Remember, the defense already left the field before the protest.

3.  How would you deal with this situation knowing that your partner gave the incorrect number of outs?

Posted

1- yes

2- no, the defense left the field and lost the right to appeal.

3- depends on weather it was just a slip or if he habitually gives the wrong outs. If its just a slip, tell him to shake it off. Everyone's gonna lose count or outs from time to time. If its habitual, tell him to pull his head out of his a$$ and pay attention.

Posted

#3 is the one that concerns me, so I'll answer your question. If I HEAR or see my partner giving the incorrect number of outs, I'm going to correct him. I'll start with subtly signalling the correct number hoping that he sees it... then move on to being not so subtle... If I have to, I'll call time and wave him over for a quick conference and tell him "I only have one out, how many do you have?"

 

Prevent a situation like this from even starting whenever possible.

 

1. Yes

 

2. No

Posted

1) Yes

2) No

3) If I hear the BU tell the coach there are two outs, and I have one out, I'm going to call time and figure out what's right. I'd rather confer for 10 seconds and get it right than have a s***storm like this possibly determine the outcome of the game... If I didn't hear him, I'll defend him from the coach and then tell him to shake it off and focus on the next play once the coach is away.

  • Like 1
Posted

Glad to see there is consensus on #1 and #2. It probably would have led to more discussion if I had left it more open ended.

 

For #3, I really meant to ask how you would deal with an upset OC who says he would have never sent his players if he wasn't given incorrect information...

Posted

Sadly, by rule, the teams are supposed to know the situation. As for the BU, he would "have to take his medicine" and hear it from the OC.

  • Like 1
Posted

This could be in Situations, Rules or Mechanics, so I just picked this forum:

 

R2, R3, 1 out.  Coach asks BU how many outs before this play and is told there are 2 outs.  Batter hits a long fly to F8, and both runners are going on contact thinking there are 2 outs.  Ball is caught for the second out and F8 throws to F4 to double up R2, but not before R3 touches home. 

So who called the 3rd out @2nd if BU thought the flyball was out 3#?  :HS

  • Like 2
×
×
  • Create New...