you make a bang bang call and dont take that split second to think... you call the runner out and after you do so you realize he is safe

UMP4LIFE99
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4040 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

so i had a game the other night and im working a one man crew. the pitcher does a pick off to second and from behind the plate i dont have the best view. well he gets the tag down and i call the runner out because it was a bang bang play. i didnt take that split second to think... and after a call him out i realize i made the incorrect call (so does everyone around me). if there is no other umpire to appeal with then is there a way i can say "hold on i was wrong" and change it or do you just have to live with it.

Once you say "hold on i was wrong" the first time, there's no going back. You'll be questioned on every call.

Next time, use the old "If you could pay for two umpires, I wouldn't have to guess from 127 feet, 3 3/8 inches away" line.

Once you say "hold on i was wrong" the first time, there's no going back. You'll be questioned on every call. Next time, use the old "If you could pay for two umpires, I wouldn't have to guess from 127 feet, 3 3/8 inches away" line.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID!!!!!

You can slow down to make your call.

When I'm working 1 man, on pick off plays at 2b...first of all, get no argument on my calls.  Second, you have to make sure the defense maintains possession of the ball completely through the tag.  Use your eyes properly and it will buy you some time.  

Live and learn.  One man games are tough.  

Also, try not to use the "if you'd only hire two umpires" line.  

A better approach to the teams can be "from where I'm at, I had him out."  If you missed it, you missed it.  I also think you have the right to change your call and it doesn't give teams the right to question you on every other call.  Think about it, if you missed it, you're going to take $hit the rest of the game...if you changed your call and you got it right, at least you know that you got it right and if you kicked the heck out of the call, in the end, both teams know you got it right too.  They may not say it at the time, but in the right situation, changing your call when you're 100% sure you know you missed it can earn you a lot of respect from the players.  

I'm not saying that you should always do it and that it will work for you 100% of the time.  But don't get talked into the myth that since you're working 1 man, you can never change your call.  

• Like 3

Call it, stick with it, toss anybody that wants to complain. If I am solo, which is rare, I do not say anything about it at the plate meeting; but if they want to complain about a tag or catch in the outfield I will shut that down fast. I will ask if they are seriously out there questioning an one man system? If you make a mistake, live with it and most importantly, learn from it. 

• Like 1

Call it, stick with it, toss anybody that wants to complain. If I am solo, which is rare, I do not say anything about it at the plate meeting; but if they want to complain about a tag or catch in the outfield I will shut that down fast. I will ask if they are seriously out there questioning an one man system? If you make a mistake, live with it and most importantly, learn from it. 

Most of the time, this is where I stand when working my one man games.  Except when what I posted above comes into play.  

• Like 1

o sorry BT_Blue didnt see the end of your previous comment... i ended up calling him out and lived with it coach was chirping but it comes with the territory... someone i know said its funny how everyone remembers that one little call you miss but not all the good ones you made. I just have to work harder than others being 14 and all. i kinda have to prove that i beong out there.

o sorry BT_Blue didnt see the end of your previous comment... i ended up calling him out and lived with it coach was chirping but it comes with the territory... someone i know said its funny how everyone remembers that one little call you miss but not all the good ones you made. I just have to work harder than others being 14 and all. i kinda have to prove that i beong out there.

The key here is to learn from the mistake.  If it truly was a bang/bang play, who cares.  That coach will never complain about the banger that goes his way.

Keep your head up and keep getting better.

• Like 1

In my experience as a youth official if you aren't a pushover 95% of the time u get the same respect as an adult official.

• Like 1

since i am a young umpire i try to be respectful because i know they dont want some bratty know it all kid out there. i had another 2 games today and had the same coach from the blown call game and everything went very well i stuck to what i know and did well. i defianatly learned from the mistake. BRUMP and johnnyg08... BT_Blue i started when i was 10 1/2 yrs old and have progressively worked my way up to travel. i was even lucky to get a 16 yr old game so im very grateful for the coaches who have kept calling me back for all these years.

since i am a young umpire i try to be respectful because i know they dont want some bratty know it all kid out there. i had another 2 games today and had the same coach from the blown call game and everything went very well i stuck to what i know and did well. i defianatly learned from the mistake. BRUMP and johnnyg08... BT_Blue i started when i was 10 1/2 yrs old and have progressively worked my way up to travel. i was even lucky to get a 16 yr old game so im very grateful for the coaches who have kept calling me back for all these years.

I started when I was 12 and I knew only what watching Yankee games got me. I had no clue what I was doing. Hell I wore shorts and a Yankee cap for my first plate game. (Thank god no one had a camera that day!) I started learning from lurking on this site for a few years and then joined 6 months ago. Trust me best source of umpire info on the web.

• Like 1

Man your 17 , shoot for more then that, attend some clinics , work HS, then work Varsity,  keep working tourneys and go to pro school in 2 years, start early and you can progress really quickly with that under yopur belt , so even if you don't make the eval course you'll be ahead of th game, and in great position if you want to go back. Wish i had started when I was 13 .  or even 18 .   

Man your 17 , shoot for more then that, attend some clinics , work HS, then work Varsity, keep working tourneys and go to pro school in 2 years, start early and you can progress really quickly with that under yopur belt , so even if you don't make the eval course you'll be ahead of th game, and in great position if you want to go back. Wish i had started when I was 13 . or even 18 .

I am shooting for more than that. HS is just the first step I need to take

• Like 1