Chicago NCAA Meeting

UmpTTS43
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4113 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been meaning to ask you guys this.  Does anyone remember who was involved in the play they showed where there was a R3 and the BR hit a ground ball, avoided the tag at first and missed the base, but was called out diving back into first on appeal?  It was one of the videos they showed when we split into groups and discussed plays.  They ended up telling us it was a force and the run shouldn't count.  Does anyone remember this one and maybe who was involved in the video so I can find it?

Yeah I realized it wasn't a force technically, but we were discussing it during the meeting so I wanted to post it here and see what everyone else thought.  johnnyg has the video.  johnny you can go ahead and post it here if you want to.  

not b/c of the force but it basically was a missed base appeal and it was at first base and no run can score if the batter/runner is retired for the third out before legally acquiring first base correct?

It is not a force.....the BR is not forced anywhere.

I know.  Just using consistent terminology from posts above.  

if im not mistaken i believe the wording is "simultaneoulsy or immediatly following contact with the ball" if the player runs into something and drops the ball it is not a catch....ankiel takes 3.5 steps between contact with the ball and contact with the wall with no juggling whatsoever....i say catch

The fielder did not demonstrate complete body control however he did demonstrate voluntary release by removing the ball from his glove with his left hand thereby satisfying criteria for a catch. If the ball had remained in his glove and then fell out after contact with the wall, it would not have been a catch. In order to have a catch, once you have secure possession of the ball, you must have complete body control or demonstrate voluntary release. You do not need both.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to ask you guys this.  Does anyone remember who was involved in the play they showed where there was a R3 and the BR hit a ground ball, avoided the tag at first and missed the base, but was called out diving back into first on appeal?  It was one of the videos they showed when we split into groups and discussed plays.  They ended up telling us it was a force and the run shouldn't count.  Does anyone remember this one and maybe who was involved in the video so I can find it?

Was it an MLB clip or an NCAA clip?  Also, was it from Yeast's presentation or from the NCAA general session?  

I feel like it was from Yeast's presentation.  But maybe not???

Ok. In full speed from where the umps saw it, no catch. From camera angle/zoom, he voluntarily removed the ball from the glove with his throwing hand. I 100% agree with whatever the original call was. Could go either way in real time.

Been so busy with BK and WR I have not been ion here in a while!

I will be in ATL this weekend, anybody want to get together, never been in ATL before, looking forward to it!

drop me a PM...