The Umpire School

ukce1861
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4579 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

<br />
<br />My main take away from that video was that PBUC is pronounced P-Buck, and not P B U C.<br />
<br /><br />I thought that was common. Or are you saying you didn't know that?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I think he is saying that is all he took away from the video.

- Why not AZ?

It stands to reason that PBUC prefers their umpires and schools to be consistently accredited and licensed, and Florida is the national leader in accrediting non-traditional educational institutions such as an Umpire School. Florida's Commission for Independent Education regulates, among other things, nondegree-granting, nontraditional educational institutions. All three Florida Umpire Schools have been accredited by the CIE. It stands as an insurance measure for both umpire students and the three schools, in that CIE, by virtue of its licensure of PBUC/JEAPU/WUS, protects students from unfair business practices, while the schools are protected from certain limited liability issues.

Arizona on the other hand grants licenses via the State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. AZ's Vocational Program License doesn't offer the same benefits as Florida's version of accreditation nor does it require the same standards for licensure. Again, PBUC could place a school in Arizona, but that would create disparity and an inconsistency in licensing standards.

I see they've taken over the old Dodgertown at Vero Beach... but decided not to replace the mural which Klemm is standing in front of.

None of the pic will be taking done..it is a part of history. all of the signs about Dodgertown are gone. I will tell you the facilities are awesome, the food, fields, and rooms... and Justin Klemm is really a great guy, loves his job very much and cares about Umpiring.

My main take away from that video was that PBUC is pronounced P-Buck, and not P B U C.

I thought that was common. Or are you saying you didn't know that?

Around these parts we pronounce our acronyms by the LETTER!

Then its not really an acronym or at least thats what someone recently told me

What's really weird is I'm 99% sure the plate guy wearing a navy shirt and doing the game between a purple team and a red team in the stadium is me, from a game I did back in February... You'd think they could've gotten a better example of good umpiring - I saw 2-3 things that I did wrong right off the bat.

And before you guys get too gung-ho on your critiquing, this was my second non-Little League game I'd ever done. I'm pretty sure I've improved a long way since then; got a ways to go yet, mind you, but still...dry.gif

I wonder if I get free tuition for this...:question1:

What's really weird is I'm 99% sure the plate guy wearing a navy shirt and doing the game between a purple team and a red team in the stadium is me, from a game I did back in February... You'd think they could've gotten a better example of good umpiring - I saw 2-3 things that I did wrong right off the bat.

And before you guys get too gung-ho on your critiquing, this was my second non-Little League game I'd ever done. I'm pretty sure I've improved a long way since then; got a ways to go yet, mind you, but still...dry.gif

I wonder if I get free tuition for this...:question1:

ALWAYS be proud of whatever level of work you're doing, because you are on a quest to get better as an umpire, and you'll never rest while you're making that climb. You should only be embarrassed if it's a season later and you're still doing the same things.

• Like 1

ALWAYS be proud of whatever level of work you're doing, because you are on a quest to get better as an umpire, and you'll never rest while you're making that climb. You should only be embarrassed if it's a season later and you're still doing the same things.

Oh, I'm not embarrased of where I was. It was good enough to get me started with my current association. But thankfully, I also got long debriefs after my early games on what I needed to work on (like my "goofy pierce-the-cloud" strike mechanic). Those early games, I felt pretty lost and overwhelmed. This weekend, I worked games with a whole lot higher quality teams and felt right at home... But, still got a long way to go.

I just find it odd, that when you're making a video about umpire training, to be watched by umpires, wouldn't you include video of, I don't know, an umpire who had been properly trained??? :P

Oh, I'm not embarrased of where I was. It was good enough to get me started with my current association. But thankfully, I also got long debriefs after my early games on what I needed to work on (like my "goofy pierce-the-cloud" strike mechanic). Those early games, I felt pretty lost and overwhelmed. This weekend, I worked games with a whole lot higher quality teams and felt right at home... But, still got a long way to go.

I just find it odd, that when you're making a video about umpire training, to be watched by umpires, wouldn't you include video of, I don't know, an umpire who had been properly trained??? :P

:)

Sounds like you know how to embrace criticism rather than bristle at it. You will gain so much more so much faster that way.

My main take away from that video was that PBUC is pronounced P-Buck, and not P B U C.

I thought that was common. Or are you saying you didn't know that?

Around these parts we pronounce our acronyms by the LETTER!

Then its not really an acronym or at least thats what someone recently told me

That is correct. If it forms a word then it is an acronym, if announce the letters then it is initials. I work for a company named T.E.A.M. = Tours, Entertainment,Tours Management. That is an acronym. A local college is called U.M.E.S= initials.