WV Gold vs. All-Star System-7

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4265 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I know this has been brought up before but I just got SWMBO permission to purchase a new CP to replace my 10+ year old WV Gold. I a trying to decide between a new Gold or the All-Star System-7. I have yet to have the chance to try on the All Star but like what I have heard and read.

However I am looking for opinions on the pros, cons, and comparisons between the two.

Thanks everyone for the help. This is a b-day present for me and want to have it in time for me to wear it for the end of the HS season.

I was just getting ready to start another post with similar questions so ill just add to yours. I wear the wilson platinum 12 now and its just bulky on me, im curious to compare the all star and the douglas to the platinum. Which one is smaller, sleeker and doesnt look so big under your shirt. Im 6ft 190

I've been considering the same, but as a replacement/supplement to my newer Gold. Maybe it's just paranoia, but the Gold just barely doesn't cover lowest rib, especially on the sides. And it slides a little from time to time. On the other hand, I worry if the All Star would be bulky. Plus, from another thread, the pics looked like it had a bit of a gap below the shoulder cap, whereas the gold has that armored flap that covers it well.

If the Gold was just an inch or two longer, with the addition of the Delta Flex harness it would be perfect. Just got hit last night with a medium speed foul ball right in the pecs and didn't feel a thing. I might order an All-Star just to try it out and then either sell the Gold or return the All-Star and retrofit the Gold with the Delta Flex (I want to try the All-Star before cutting straps on the Gold to adapt the Delta Flex).

Oh, who am I kidding, I'll probably keep them both!

Scrounge my All Star came with pectoral protectors that fills in that gap. They feel like hard plastic covered with fabric.

They are attached with Velcro and I removed them because I don't think I really need them.

Ah, thx!

Scrounge my All Star came with pectoral protectors that fills in that gap. They feel like hard plastic covered with fabric.

They are attached with Velcro and I removed them because I don't think I really need them.

CORRECT!!! Move those flaps, you're good!

I have a Gold and will be getting an All-Star today (according to UPS). I'll let you know!

Trying to figure out if I want the Allstar or the Gold. Has anyone used both and willing to give their thoughts?

I removed mine too.

I highly suggest you look at these pictures from another thread ....... move those pec-protectors to another place!

Jeff where would you move them to if you kept them? Would you put it higher?

Just got the All-Star y'day from Ump-Attire. I moved those little pec plates higher. There's basically two velcro connectors that will either attach the pec plates or the inner foam. In the pic, they're attached to the lower connectors. I moved them to the higher. Initial impressions:

All-Star pros: MUCH less chance of this baby slipping or sliding down. Not just the Delta Flex, but also the pre-built curvature of the shoulder pad part prevents this. I got the 15" - it definitely covers the last rib and some abdomen but not at all too long to interfere with stance. Looks sleeker but feels more, I dunno, armor-like in a good way. Thing doesn't move around much at all, again not just due to the harness but also the design. There's MUCH less chance of an exposed collar bone. A bit tight around the neck, I guess, but I don't find it too much. I think that's just because it's brand spanking new.

All-Star cons: Oddly, though it fits sleeker, in a way it feels a bit bulkier. Also, while those pec plates help, there still seems to be a bit of a gap where there's some exposed areas. It would take a perfect hit to find it - but stuff happens. The plates are a bit angular, not smooth like the Gold. And while a big advantage is the snug fit, it can feel a little too snug. Then again, I just got it and haven't fully adjusted it yet.

First game test is tomorrow in a JV doubleheader. I like the gap coverage and overall design of the Gold a tad better - but that's more than offset by the lack of length and tendency to slide down. I thought about retrofitting a Delta Flex to it, but the exposed last rib just bugs me. Yea, there's not much chance of it getting hit, especially down in a stance. But a broken/cracked rib isn't something I even remotely want to deal with. Plus, I admit it, I like a little abdomen protection as well. The Gold does fit more 'naturally' though.

Really, I'd be nitpicking to say one's definitively better.

Can I ask what you mean by "naturally"? I am pretty sure I will go with the Gold with the delta flex... please post your review of how the System7 felt to you during the game.

Thanks.

The Gold doesn't have as large of plates and thicker, softer padding, so it's more form fitting and lays more easily on your body to me. Unfortunately, it has the sag issue, which will be mitigated by the Delta Flex of course. However, it might not completely go away. Or you'd have to tighten the harness. Myself, I don't like it super tight, that constricted feeling is unpleasant to me. Which, admittedly, the new All-Star does have, but not too bad. The All-Star has larger, flatter plates. Maybe over time they'll curve a bit.

Bottom line? If the Gold would just cover my lower rib, I'd prob stick with it and retrofit the Delta Flex. However, having that rib exposed is simply a non-starter for me. Even in my stance, the curved point of the rib is uncovered. If I can touch it easily with my finger, a ball can find it. That is disqualifying to me. And I'm only 5'10", 205 lbs, not huge or overly stocky.

I'll let you know how it performs tomorrow, but right now, I'm betting the Gold finds its way to eBay.

My all star should arrive next week. With the proper fit of the flex delta harness my Gold is way too short. I measured it and have 2 inches of ribs exposed, and pretty much the same in my stance. I don't work games with stellar catchers so I really need protection there, even though I have never taken a shot to the chest with my gold-I've had it a year, I have had a ton of shoulder pad shots.

1st game with the All-Star in the books. I'd grade it as an A-.

The protector didn't move a bit - VERY stable. And didn't have to tighten the straps much, I hate that tight, constricted feeling. The curved shoulders and harness keep it stable. Neck wasn't tight. The only time I really noticed it was bending over to clean the plate. And earlier, it wasn't easy to get my shirt on, but big deal.

Took THREE shots to it, two fouls and one bouncer. Here's where it's a tiny bit of a mixed bag. Hard foul to the upper/mid right chest, solid hit. It didn't hurt at all - but I did feel the pressure of it. This was a JV game, about 60-70 mph pitching. Makes me wonder just a little bit what it might feel like at 80 or 90. Again, it didn't hurt....but it wasn't the "oh, did I just get hit?" barely there sensation that a hit of that speed would be on the Gold. The bouncer came in right below the plexus...that would have been soft skin on the Gold but got nothing but armor plate on the All-Star.

It was the second foul that was the key shot. High pitch, batter swings over the TOP and the ball comes straight down right at my collarbone. It didn't even have a chance of hurting, nothing but sound and a little pressure. I'm not saying it would have found the gap on my Gold - but I'm not saying it wouldn't. That alone has me sold on the All-Star.

It wasn't a clean sweep, the Gold does feel more padded and I've taken shots to it that felt like feathers hitting a pillow. The All-Star was a bit more jarring, no pain by any means or even close, but it gets your attention. However, the lack of slip, the extra length, and the better collarbone and rib protection outweigh the comfort and padding to me. It's really nitpicking, they're both excellent, and if the Gold covered my last rib I'd probably just get a Delta Flex harness and call it a day. But right now, it looks like the Gold is headed to eBay.

Just got me All Star yesterday, varsity plate and a couple Babe Ruth games today. I am 6'2", 275, 50" dress coat, 19"neck. I got the 12" and glad I did. Covered everything I needed to protect. I nearly choked myself putting on my mask. I think once it relaxes a bit it will be great. I loosened the straps to allow it to slide down. That doesn't work with this rig. I went back and tightened straps and got the CP to pull down on my shoulders better. I think this will do the trick. No real shots to speak of...that's good.

NWA, I was having the same issue with choking myself. Thunderheads suggested removing the padding under the shoulder caps and loosening the straps that connect the arm plates to the shoulder caps.

That helps reduce the bulkiness some and I found I stopped choking myself when I put my mask on.

I still look like I have no neck but there's not much I can do about that except get a different protector.

Completely remove the padding from the shoulder cap? I would think that would have a potential down side it one took a shot on the shoulder. I have loosened the should caps to get rid of the linebacker look. I am placing a basketball into the neck opening to help loosen that are a bit.

Sorry, just a bit confused...I loosened the caps and it didn't seem to help.

Looseing the shoulder caps will have them drop just a bit, thus, not raising the rig up when you lift your arms.

The Delta Flex straps you loosen are the two TOP ones, ....looseing those will allow the CP to sit lower (still high) around your neck...

Jeff where would you move them to if you kept them? Would you put it higher?

Yes, .... move them UP ...why would you need them where they are? Put them up where they'll protrude and protect that area next to your bicep where your chest and arm meet....