A coach, a player, AND an umpire

th3
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4435 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I called an obvious infield fly in a 50/70 game this weekend - pretty high and between the mound and the 1st base line. As I called it the 3rd base coach yelled "you don't have to go"..the runner on 2nd listened but the one on 1st did not and got tagged off the base. As he trotted off the field, the 1st base coach says to me "I'm a player AND and umpire...and for the infield fly rule the infielder HAS to be camped out under it". I considered:

"#@&^! Really? Sorry man, its my 1st time out"

"That's the most rediculous thing I ever heard"

"Are you a good player at least?"

I just went with "Coach, I never even heard that one..."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called an obvious infield fly in a 50/70 game this weekend - pretty high and between the mound and the 1st base line. As I called it the 3rd base coach yelled "you don't have to go"..the runner on 2nd listened but the one on 1st did not and got tagged off the base. As he trotted off the field, the 1st base coach says to me "I'm a player AND and umpire...and for the infield fly rule the infielder HAS to be camped out under it". I considered:

You should have said:

"I didn't think they had IFF in T-Ball Games!"

• Like 1

I had a game tonight that was excellent until the TOP of the seventh. It was a 5-2 game and for some reson the HC decided to start trying new pitchers. The inning ended up lasting 40 min. I tried every way I could to get strikes and outs but no help. Finally with bases loaded and one out, someone popped a ball up and I immediately called IFF. I didn't give a crap if it was ordinary effort or not, I was getting that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple:

"that's not what the rulebook says coach" ....