Anyone ever bought a non-fitted hat?

IABlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4453 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am thinking specifically of those Richardson "System5" or whatever they're called things that basically covers two different hat-sizes with one hat, i.e 7 1/8-7 1/4.

I wore of the flexfit hats for one base game last year, and it didn't seem too bad. I am sick and tired of buying fitted hats where the same size fits drastically different depending on each hat.

Anyone have a thought on the look/feel/comfort of these things?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking specifically of those Richardson "System5" or whatever they're called things that basically covers two different hat-sizes with one hat, i.e 7 1/8-7 1/4.

I wore of the flexfit hats for one base game last year, and it didn't seem too bad. I am sick and tired of buying fitted hats where the same size fits drastically different depending on each hat.

Anyone have a thought on the look/feel/comfort of these things?

You're going to have the same issue with the System 5. I always try them on, because sometimes a 2 works, and sometimes a 3.

I use nothing but fitted...however, Richardson NEEDS to work on it's sizing. They are not consistent...

It was the same with NewEra and with some other brand I had. No solution other than to try a bunch on when the vendors come to town for clinics ect.

I use nothing but fitted...however, Richardson NEEDS to work on it's sizing. They are not consistent...

It was the same with NewEra and with some other brand I had. No solution other than to try a bunch on when the vendors come to town for clinics ect.

I only wish I had that option...Small market and EVERYTHING has to be ordered online.

If I ever wore a flex-fit, it would be on the bases, where I wouldn't run the risk of displacing it by taking off my mask. Thr Richardson System 5 is a good one.

I ordered New Era and now order Richardson caps by the box. I usually buy a box of six six-stitch and four eight-stitch at a time. (Plate caps wear out faster.)

As for the sometimes odd sizing: I am normally a 7 1/2, but Richardson seemingly come a little large. I wear a 7 3/8 six-stitch Richardson on the plate and stretch it slightly. (I like my plate cap fairly tight.) And I wear a 7 1/2 eight-stitch on the bases and leave it the way it is. Out of that last box of New Eras (before they discontinued them), they were all labeled 7 1/2, but only six of them were properly sized. Out of a recently purchased box of Richardsons, only one was improperly sized (a too-small six-stitch).

I save so much by buying them by the box that I can just give away or sell (cheaply) the ones that I can't stretch or shrink to fit. I still have several new, uncreased New Eras, but as I mix a couple of the Richardsons in, I have to say that the new ones that they're putting out are pretty damned good caps. They crease beautifully, and they are pretty comfortable. I think I actually prefer them to the New Era.

Flex fit reviews: http://umpire-empire.com/reviews/browse/umpire_equipment_reviews/uniforms/richardson_flex_fit_caps_/index.html

I prefer fitted overall, but have no problem with the flex fit on the bases.

And I agree with those who posted Richardson sizing needs to be more consistent.

I bought them most recently from Epic Sports, but Ump-Attire has the six-stitch for just a little more per cap. Epic has them for $6.89 per cap for 10, and $7.39 per cap for fewer than 10 on the six or eight-stitch. Ump-Attire Has the six-stitch for $7.99, but their eight-stitch is $11.99.

When New Era was being discontinued, I grabbed up a box full from Lester's. As long as you know what you're ordering, Epic is safe, but if you need to make any returns, forget it. Ump-Attire, on the other hand, has the best service. But a case of caps for $69 is pretty cool, and a rather safe purchase.

Kev-

How do you shrink them down if need be?

I boil a pot of water and dunk it in and swirl it around a little while holding onto the cap's bill. Then, I dry it in a 200 degree oven.

The natural way is to sweat it up and then toss it on the dashboard on a hot day. But the boiling water/oven method is king. (It may hasten the fading, however.)

Kev-

How do you shrink them down if need be?

I boil a pot of water and dunk it in and swirl it around a little while holding onto the cap's bill. Then, I dry it in a 200 degree oven.

The natural way is to sweat it up and then toss it on the dashboard on a hot day. But the boiling water/oven method is king. (It may hasten the fading, however.)

I wonder if you could wrap it in aluminum foil before putting it in the oven. leave a vent or two for steam.