High School study guide - FPSR responsibilities

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4482 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

FED Mechanics:

The plate umpire always has the responsibility of calling interference at 2nd base on a force-play slide violation.

True or False.

I answered false because of the "always".

For those who do this study guide and take the test every year, is the writing exact or is it just poor writing?

FED Mechanics:

The plate umpire always has the responsibility of calling interference at 2nd base on a force-play slide violation.

True or False.

I answered false because of the "always".

For those who do this study guide and take the test every year, is the writing exact or is it just poor writing?

The answer is B, poor writing.

There are at least 10 questions every year that are so poorly written that a literate person can't be sure what the answer is. One year there was a True/False question that was written so ridiculously poorly that the answer was either true, false or neither true nor false.

So you need to reach into the mind of the horses - - - writer and try to discern his intent behind the poorly written question. (It's really true, but the answer to what he meant to ask is false.)

Won't <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> always have the responsibility but if <acronym title='Base umpire'>BU</acronym> sees it he can call it?

Can't read into the question. Answer it as it is asked.

Huh? Clarify please.

Won't <acronym title='plate umpire'>PU</acronym> always have the responsibility but if <acronym title='Base umpire'>BU</acronym> sees it he can call it?

Can't read into the question. Answer it as it is asked.

Huh? Clarify please.

I guess what I'm saying is that reading more into the question will confuse you an cause you to get them wrong. You answer the question exactly how it's written and there's no doubt that this question is False. That's all I'm saying.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been dormant for awhile, but I have a question about the FPSR at home. I am reading the FED "Rules by Topic", and one of the case plays isn't clear on the penalties.

2.32.2 SITUATION C: On a force play slide at the plate, the runner slides over (beyond the plate) and makes contact with
F2
. Is the runner guilty of violating the force play slide rule? RULING: Yes. A runner is expected to stop short of the back edge of home plate, the same as he would at other bases. Had the runner not made contact or altered the play, there would have been no violation.

The case play doesn't go on to explain the penalties. Based on my understanding I believe that the runner at home is out, the run doesn't score, and the BR is out as well. Is that correct?

Correct.

One thing that helps me to remember the penalty, is that I recognize it as a unique Sitch where a run can be taken off the board after the runner scored.

Consider a similar Sitch but remove the force. R3 scores but then has MC on F2. You can still call INT and call out the BR, but you must score the run.

The FPSR is a special condition that allows you to get 2 outs and remove the run. The rule stands alone, apart from other situations.