High School study guide - FPSR responsibilities

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4482 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yes, having a shot doesn't come into it. It is a combo safety and sportmanship rule. FED wants it punitive for both reasons. You will occasionally get a coach get crazy over it because that's not the way they learned baseball. Call it at the plate and I assure you somebody is going home, don't let that stop you.

"A runner is expected to stop short of the back edge of home plate..."

Full sprint home, FP situation, no play at home, slides...and stops on a dime! But hey, no pop-up slides either!

:no: Just silly. I get it if there's a play being made at home - a 1-2-3 DP or something. Otherwise, "catcher, might not want to stand in the way of the oncoming runner when there's no play being made here. What if he didn't slide?"

"A runner is expected to stop short of the back edge of home plate..."

Full sprint home, FP situation, no play at home, slides...and stops on a dime! But hey, no pop-up slides either!

:no: Just silly. I get it if there's a play being made at home - a 1-2-3 DP or something. Otherwise, "catcher, might not want to stand in the way of the oncoming runner when there's no play being made here. What if he didn't slide?"

If there is no play there then certainly the can be no FPSR. Sliding is not required.

And remember the 2nd out is on the batter-runner. For example a force play at 3rd violation where F5 then throws to 2nd trying to get force there.

Even if he does get the runner at 2nd he is safe because the ball is dead immediately at 3rd and B/R declared out.

Very good example! Thanks!