Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5339 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Today our class was introduced to a new mechanic for taking pick off plays for 2012. PBUC and the minor leagues expect all pick off plays from the pitcher to first base to be taken from the B and C position in this fashion.

Start hands on knees set shoulders squared to plate with eyes and head on pitcher.

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

see the ball out of his hand.

drop step with the left foot squaring your shoulders towards first base and take the play standing set in a "modified scissors stance" with arms to your side.

make your call as your left foot comes up to square with your right.

I had a hard time with this in drills today as i am used taking a step towards the mid point between the 45ft and first base with my left foot then squaring to the base. Luckily the beach is a great place to draw your own diamond and get in some extra practice.

Posted

Today our class was introduced to a new mechanic for taking pick off plays for 2012. PBUC and the minor leagues expect all pick off plays from the pitcher to first base to be taken from the B and C position in this fashion.

Start hands on knees set shoulders squared to plate with eyes and head on pitcher.

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

see the ball out of his hand.

drop step with the left foot squaring your shoulders towards first base and take the play standing set in a "modified scissors stance" with arms to your side.

make your call as your left foot comes up to square with your right.

I had a hard time with this in drills today as i am used taking a step towards the mid point between the 45ft and first base with my left foot then squaring to the base. Luckily the beach is a great place to draw your own diamond and get in some extra practice.

I just tried this in my kitchen because I was confused about the left-foot drop step...until I tried it and I think I know why after trying the drill you're describing.

The drop step, seems to square my shoulders to 1B automatically w/o fear of an over pivot. Is that why? Thanks for posting, that is fantastic information.

Posted

Stay off the beach if you're looking for a job.

Interpreted as showboating / trying to suck up?

Posted

Stay off the beach if you're looking for a job.

There are several "unwritten" rules to umpire school...

Don't go where the instructors go.

Full uniform each day regardless of what they tell you.

If you are rained out and they tell you to change into comfortable clothes = dress pants & collared shirts.

Don't drink in the hotel bar.

Despite what they tell you, do not practice mechanics on the beach.

There are many more...

Someone else posted that it's a 5 week job interview. That's exactly what it is. You have 3 schools and a limited amount of openings. There's not a lot of room for error if you want a job.

Interpreted as showboating / trying to suck up?

Posted

PBUC and all minors use this.. it is faster and better... once you start to use it you will like it.

make your call as your left foot comes up to square with your right.

So when you are in the modified scissors (left foot drop step), do you bring your left foot forward to square up? That's the part I'm having a tough time understanding.

Posted

PBUC and all minors use this.. it is faster and better... once you start to use it you will like it.

make your call as your left foot comes up to square with your right.

So when you are in the modified scissors (left foot drop step), do you bring your left foot forward to square up? That's the part I'm having a tough time understanding.

no you will still be in a scissors... it is a standing scissors, and if you call the runner safe no bid deal, if he is out, you can step into it and whack him out...

This is not a New mechanic. they have been using this for a couple of yrs... just the The Umpire School is not running a school so they are teaching the same as what the MiLB's guys use.

Posted

Stay off the beach if you're looking for a job.

There are several "unwritten" rules to umpire school...

Don't go where the instructors go.

Full uniform each day regardless of what they tell you.

If you are rained out and they tell you to change into comfortable clothes = dress pants & collared shirts.

Don't drink in the hotel bar.

Despite what they tell you, do not practice mechanics on the beach.

There are many more...

Someone else posted that it's a 5 week job interview. That's exactly what it is. You have 3 schools and a limited amount of openings. There's not a lot of room for error if you want a job.

Interpreted as showboating / trying to suck up?

I will jump in here...

yes if the instructors are eating a dinner at night time leave them alone, they need there time off as well.

If you want to wear shorts to class in the morning, go ahead..it will be harder for you to "look the part" but if your in your base umpire clothes that was "acceptable"

go ahead and drink.. just don't get drunk... lots of guys went bowling across the street, or there was a comedy club at the TOP of the hotel, and many of guys were drinking.. just dont go over board.

No if you wanted to go down to the beach and practice.. ( there were guys drawing bases in the sand) go ahead..and the instructors really did like to see that.. it showed that you were trying to get better.. if you were willing to take your free time and go and practice the pivot or Double play mechanics.. it helped you..

It was a job interview.. and for some of the part the instructors tried to call around in your area to see what kind of guy you were, they did their homework as well.

on rain days they told you to dress down... if you wore dress pants and a golf shirt your were ok....

I will tell you something funny.. all of the students from Harry's wore a suit at the PBUC eval on the 1st day, no questions about it.. Jim's guys showed up in slacks and a polo/golf shirt.... and guess who got more jobs.....LOL it was right down the middle..when you go to most DI games you will wear slacks and golf shirt, unless the conference coordinator wants more.

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

I'm with you. Having a hard time visualing this mechanic :shakehead::hopmad: :shrug:

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

I'm with you. Having a hard time visualing this mechanic :shakehead::hopmad::shrug:

Good, it's not just me ......

this (below) comes across like a VERY AWKWARD move!

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

I'm with you. Having a hard time visualing this mechanic :shakehead::hopmad::shrug:

Good, it's not just me ......

this (below) comes across like a VERY AWKWARD move!

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

I need a video! :smachhead:

Posted

I think I can visualize it.

A word of caution -- I wouldn't start using this on the field until it has gained the blessings of whoever the proper powers are in your group. But it is something I will play with when I can.

My standard mechanic is to take a jab step with my left foot toward the 45', then come square to first with my right.

I see this as taking a cross step with my right foot, and then dropping my left back.

Posted

Stay off the beach if you're looking for a job.

There are several "unwritten" rules to umpire school...

Don't go where the instructors go.

Full uniform each day regardless of what they tell you.

If you are rained out and they tell you to change into comfortable clothes = dress pants & collared shirts.

Don't drink in the hotel bar.

Despite what they tell you, do not practice mechanics on the beach.

There are many more...

Someone else posted that it's a 5 week job interview. That's exactly what it is. You have 3 schools and a limited amount of openings. There's not a lot of room for error if you want a job.

Interpreted as showboating / trying to suck up?

I will jump in here...

yes if the instructors are eating a dinner at night time leave them alone, they need there time off as well.

If you want to wear shorts to class in the morning, go ahead..it will be harder for you to "look the part" but if your in your base umpire clothes that was "acceptable"

go ahead and drink.. just don't get drunk... lots of guys went bowling across the street, or there was a comedy club at the TOP of the hotel, and many of guys were drinking.. just dont go over board.

No if you wanted to go down to the beach and practice.. ( there were guys drawing bases in the sand) go ahead..and the instructors really did like to see that.. it showed that you were trying to get better.. if you were willing to take your free time and go and practice the pivot or Double play mechanics.. it helped you..

It was a job interview.. and for some of the part the instructors tried to call around in your area to see what kind of guy you were, they did their homework as well.

on rain days they told you to dress down... if you wore dress pants and a golf shirt your were ok....

I will tell you something funny.. all of the students from Harry's wore a suit at the PBUC eval on the 1st day, no questions about it.. Jim's guys showed up in slacks and a polo/golf shirt.... and guess who got more jobs.....LOL it was right down the middle..when you go to most DI games you will wear slacks and golf shirt, unless the conference coordinator wants more.

Things must have changed since I went.......

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

No, stand up and try it and it will make sense. I thought the same thing until I stood up and tried it.

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

No, stand up and try it and it will make sense. I thought the same thing until I stood up and tried it.

Start hands on knees set shoulders squared to plate with eyes and head on pitcher.

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

If you're square to the plate , eyes on the pitcher in B ....using your RIGHT foot, ...you're stepping across your body...

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

I'm with you. Having a hard time visualing this mechanic :shakehead::hopmad::shrug:

Good, it's not just me ......

this (below) comes across like a VERY AWKWARD move!

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

yes... then your left foot will swing around, and you will square your shoulders to 1st... its very easy

Posted

Things must have changed since I went.......

A little bit...but some of it depends on if your trying for a job...

there was guys in flip flops and shorts for class everyday...mind you none of them got placed...

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

No, stand up and try it and it will make sense. I thought the same thing until I stood up and tried it.

Start hands on knees set shoulders squared to plate with eyes and head on pitcher.

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

If you're square to the plate , eyes on the pitcher in B ....using your RIGHT foot, ...you're stepping across your body...

I guess I didn't see it as stepping across your body...remember you're chest to ball, once he starts his move, you're not squared anymore, you're stepping w/ your right foot, your drop step w/ your left foot squares you up.

Posted

I suppose if you're in "C" you might be crossing your body a bit more...BUT, a pickoff at 1B from F1 is not likely if you're in "C" because F3 is likely to be playing behind the runner in a Runner1,Runner2 situation.

Posted

I'm a visual guy ..........and I can't see this mechanic.

You're stepping across your body then?

No, stand up and try it and it will make sense. I thought the same thing until I stood up and tried it.

Start hands on knees set shoulders squared to plate with eyes and head on pitcher.

as the pitcher starts his move step to the mid point between the 45ft line and first base with your RIGHT foot.

If you're square to the plate , eyes on the pitcher in B ....using your RIGHT foot, ...you're stepping across your body...

I guess I didn't see it as stepping across your body...remember you're chest to ball, once he starts his move, you're not squared anymore, you're stepping w/ your right foot, your drop step w/ your left foot squares you up.

For this to work in a coordinated manner .......... both feet have to move at the same time. THEN I could see it .......

Posted

For this to work in a coordinated manner .......... both feet have to move at the same time. THEN I could see it .......

I was reading the PBUC manual last night and the mechanic is in there, but with next to zero detail, meaning w/o the OP, we wouldn't know how to do the mechanic.

Posted

Guys its just a cross step for your pick off moves. In pro ball things go FAST. There are a hand full of things at PBUC they changed for as a more advanced mechanic. The other schools know but for the mass still teach the other way. At Evans they let us know the before heading to PBUC as a heads up.

Posted

Guys its just a cross step for your pick off moves. In pro ball things go FAST. There are a hand full of things at PBUC they changed for as a more advanced mechanic. The other schools know but for the mass still teach the other way. At Evans they let us know the before heading to PBUC as a heads up.

That makes sense, thanks!

×
×
  • Create New...