Restricted to Dugout

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4509 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It used to be that in FHSAA you could not restrict a coach the the Dugout. You either ejected or not.

Well now it's still the same except for one instance.

If a batter come in the box with an illegal bat the 1st penalty is to restrict the coach to the dugout.

EDIT:

And the Batter is out!

Edited by JaxRolo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-1-3

ART. 3 . . . Before game time, the home team and then the visiting team shall deliver their respective batting orders in duplicate to the umpire-in-chief. The umpire then shall permit inspection by both head coaches and/or captains if available. Each team's lineup card shall list a minimum of nine players to start the game (see 4-4-1f for game to continue with less than nine players). The substitution regulations, as in Rule 3, are then in effect.

a. The umpire-in-chief shall emphasize to both head coaches and captains that all participants are expected to exhibit good sporting behavior throughout the game(s).

b. Prior to the start of the game, the umpire-in-chief shall receive verification from each head coach that his participants are properly equipped in accordance with
NFHS
rules. In addition, each coach shall verify that his participants are using only legal equipment, including bats that are unaltered from the manufacturer's original design and production and that meet the provisions of 1-3-2, and helmets that meet the provisions of 1-5-1 and are free of cracks and damage.

PENALTY: On the first violation of 4-1-3b for entering the box with an illegal bat, the penalty for an illegal bat is applied (7-4-1a) and the head coach shall be restricted to the bench/dugout for the remainder of the game. On the second violation for entering the box with an illegal bat, the penalty for an illegal bat is applied and the head coach shall be ejected. On subsequent violations for entering the box with an illegal bat, the penalty for an illegal bat is applied and the designated head coach shall be ejected. On detected violations of 4-1-3b for the use of a damaged helmet, the helmet shall be immediately removed from play.

JAX, I assume you are quoting the 2012 rulebook (I have not gotten mine yet), or is this a FHSAA?

If it is a FED rule, I wonder if this will get rid of the Virginia "hammer of death" where any player that enters the box with an illegal bat is out, ejected, and suspended for 2 games, which I thought was a little harsh (not the ejection, but the suspension for a first time offense). I like that the coach has to pay a price, although I wonder how many of these bat restrictions will lead to unsportsmanlike conduct ejections. We will have to see.

I don't see it as a big problem, the VA rule, it's BBCOR or wood. It is very simple to be legal, if you aren't then you are likely well aware and trying to cheat. NC is where you have to worry. They will have to decide if it is a felony ejection or misdomeaner. In NC, three ejections in a year you sit a year. This carries over to all sports so if you play three sports and get tossed once in each sport, gone for a year in all sports.

I quoted the 2012 Book. But I wonder if this is one of those things that the States can change. Like FHSAA not restricting coaches.

The state can change any rule it wishes. For example, if you are given a yellow/red in soccer you are ejected but not required to sit a game, with a straight red you do. In my area you do have to sit if you are removed for any reason except five fouls in basketball. SC still uses the no appeal rule. VA and CA went to all BBCOR last year. Two states don't use FED rules at all and one state doesn't have HS baseball during the school year.

In TX last year we inspected the bats and hats. Coaches had to carry the list of bats, if there was a bat that we thought was illegal coach had to have the list to show it was approved.

IIRC, the same in Missouri. However, most of the coaches didn't give a rat's ass about the other team's bats, and most said so when we inspected the bats.

We inspected the bats and we carried a card that had the exceptions on it. The coaches may not care about the bats but the rules were there as a safety problem so we were to insure they were legal. This year it will be easy, we don't inspect and everything is wood or BBCOR. No crazy lists or anything but because it on the coaches there is now the dugout restriction. It ensures that the coaches are doing their job.

I quoted the 2012 Book. But I wonder if this is one of those things that the States can change. Like FHSAA not restricting coaches.

The state can change any rule it wishes. For example, if you are given a yellow/red in soccer you are ejected but not required to sit a game, with a straight red you do. In my area you do have to sit if you are removed for any reason except five fouls in basketball. SC still uses the no appeal rule. VA and CA went to all BBCOR last year. Two states don't use FED rules at all and one state doesn't have HS baseball during the school year.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess before I changed states and found this website, I didn't think states could change rules drastically. Live and learn. My original post was more speculation. We will see in a couple of weeks what Virginia's interpretations are, but it is good that FED has a direct consequence for the coach to (hopefully) make him more accountable. Only time will tell.