Umpire in Wheelchair

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2498 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, BCBrad said:

No "I got family or friends with a disability" stories to try to prove you are not prejudice.

Actually, I avoided that until you provoked me.  If my 17-year-old son with autism had the reflexes (he certainly has the cognitive skills) and the attention span (he doesn't) to umpire baseball, then I would say he needs to find another hobby/job, what have you.

1 hour ago, BCBrad said:

Get out of your generalized preconceived ideas of what a person with a disability can't do and open your eyes at the abilities of each person. People may surprise you and break down your preconceived ideas. 

I'm not a dinosaur, and I haven't resorted to "name calling" as you have.  No one in a Jazzy is creating a safe environment for officiating baseball.  We are constanty amazed as our son's interests change, his confidence grows, he loses interest in things that no longer appeal to him, just like what happens to most of us.

1 hour ago, BCBrad said:

What do you teach a child playing baseball when they see an umpire with a disability participating in this great game? 

By child, if you mean a 5-8 year old, I'm fine with it.  When the players start to take it very seriously and get to the travel ball level, then Middle School, then HS, it's no place for the Jazzy.  MLB umpires need to be less mobile than any crew on earth.  4 umps minimum.  6 in the playoffs.  If MLB felt this was a hill worth fighting for, you would see at least an umpire calling the RF or LF line in the next Wild Card game.  Never gonna happen.

"Reasonable accommodation" is the phrase under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I don't think it's obvious what that implies for a baseball umpire. But I do think that, were I have to take the BR into third with nobody on as PU in the two-person system, or take R1 into third as BU since my partner would have a harder time rotating up, those would be reasonable.  YMMV and I'm not going to claim I know exactly where the line is. I would certainly think you should give someone a personal evaluation and a chance versus making blanket statements.

It's about opportunity. Certainly there was a time that, as a diabetic, I would have been deemed too fragile to be out there.