Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6060 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi there, I read somewhere that someone found a plated chest protector extension...the guy used velcro to add some extra lenght to his platinum or something.

Can you guys link me a few "nice" plated extensions or something? I have a platinum BTW...

I was told by a mentor that he never gets hit in the stomach etc...sure enough my first game tonight, a ball hits the batter in the helmet and then comes into my unprotected stomach area....

It only stung but it was also only going 50-60mph......I don't wanna see what 80-100mph will do......so if i can have the protection, I want it. I belive the more gear I have th ebetter job I'll do because I won't be scared at all to get right up there and stay there etc, without flinching at all to do the best calls I can on balls and strikes.....

Thanks for all the comments on my other questions so far.....

Please link me a few extensions.... I can't find any I'm sorry...

  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

What do you guys think of rigging up that schutt back protector as some kind of "stomach helper..." I don't see the reason for taking 85mph's in the stomach to prove I'm cool....I'd rather protect myself so can you see this "working?"

Also i was thinking of making my own belt kind of thing stacking up like 2-4 of those pro nine extensions :)

No pain umping!!

Posted

Maybe, if getting hurt is such a concern you should avoid plate duty and just work the bases. It's pretty safe out there for the most part (except for the rare liner that may bite ya) and people don't yell at you nearly as much.

Posted

Guys, you will seldom, if ever, need this stuff. If you really have worries about an abdominal stinger, wear some hex-pad undershirt.

McDavid has one just for umpires, and theres a whole line for football, basketball and lacrosse players in all kinds of configurations.

You won't be over-preparing for something that virtually never happens, and you won't have the appearance of too much bulk under your uniform.

Gerry Davis has the one for umpires:

PR2748.jpg

http://www.gerrydavis.com/mm5/category/Softball_Umpire/product/B17PR274873

GoBros. has the ones for other sports:

7860_blknw_xl.jpg

http://www.gobros.com/cat/McDavid-V-Hex-HexPad-Body-Shirt-Black-7860-cat100815.html

There's also this one:

L_519-01_Crushtech5-PadSleevelessImpactS

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/crushtech-5-pad-sleeveless-impact-shirt.aspx

Posted

Try one of these...

(the sword can be used to chase away irritable managers). :)

medival-suit-of-armour.jpg

Seriously, though - if you're looking at pitching that's 50MPH...it sounds as though you're working with little kids, and the ability of the catcher has more to do with getting hit.

If you're working with pitchers who throw in the 80s and higher, then it's quite likely that the catcher has abilities that are far greater than the little guys.

Posted

Seriously, though - if you're looking at pitching that's 50MPH...it sounds as though you're working with little kids, and the ability of the catcher has more to do with getting hit.

If you're working with pitchers who throw in the 80s and higher, then it's quite likely that the catcher has abilities that are far greater than the little guys.

I did a full slate of college scrimmages all fall and winter. In all of them together (18 plate games/5000 pitches), I had a single 92-m.p.h. cutter that got clipped by a checked-swing and hit me right to center of my abdomen. (I know it was 92, because I heard the guy on the radar gun tell the guy with the laptop how fast it was :) ) It gave me a good stinger, and had me a little uncomfortable for a few minutes. No big. And that was the worst one ever. Or the only one that ever lasted longer than 30 seconds. And the last one was over a year before that and not nearly as bad.

I'll take a little shot a year. And if it really bugs me, I'll wear that padded shirt, and I won't feel a thing other than a dull thud. (I have one, I just seldom wear it.) Now that I jinxed myself, maybe I will. ;)

...

Posted

From that other thread:

got the pants, have not yet used them. ordered the shirt to see if it could protect my fat belly that seems to have a target on it (i have the platinum, which i like, but it is a bit short). the picture of the shirt in the gerry davis catalog shows it with ~ 12-13 rows of hexs below the armpit, looked like it would be long enough for my use. when mine came in it only had ~4 rows, barely below my ribs. not much use for me

He got hosed. The one that he's supposed to get is the one that comes all the way down to just above the belt when you tuck it in. I normally wear a large compression shirt for heavy compression or a XL for light compression. I have the hex-pad shirt and pants in the XL. (Neither provide the same compression as normal, unpadded compression wear.) It tucks in and covers almost the whole abdomen. I've taken serious gas in the thigh and the hex-pad took it all. Remarkable stuff. I wear the pants for every serious plate game. But I find the shirt to be a bit much.

Posted

From that other thread:

He got hosed. The one that he's supposed to get is the one that comes all the way down to just above the belt when you tuck it in. I normally wear a large compression shirt for heavy compression or a XL for light compression. I have the hex-pad shirt and pants in the XL. (Neither provide the same compression as normal, unpadded compression wear.) It tucks in and covers almost the whole abdomen. I've taken serious gas in the thigh and the hex-pad took it all. Remarkable stuff. I wear the pants for every serious plate game. But I find the shirt to be a bit much.

I just went to Gerry Davis Site...they say that they never sold a hexpad shirt that went below the ribs. I would be interested if one indeed existed. If you look on the page where the shirt is sold they have two pictures. According to the lady on the phone, the bottom picture is accurate. She is not sure where the picture came from that shows the hexpad extending almost to the belt. So it looks like there hexpad is only good to cover under my gold...not the abdomen.

I searched online and could not find the umpire hexpad shirt anywhere but GD.

PR2748.jpg

PR2748-insert.jpg

The second picture shows the actual padding according to the sales rep...The top pictures shows the shirt I would actually purchase.

Posted

I just went to Gerry Davis Site...they say that they never sold a hexpad shirt that went below the ribs. I would be interested if one indeed existed. If you look on the page where the shirt is sold they have two pictures. According to the lady on the phone, the bottom picture is accurate. She is not sure where the picture came from that shows the hexpad extending almost to the belt. So it looks like there hexpad is only good to cover under my gold...not the abdomen.

I searched online and could not find the umpire hexpad shirt anywhere but GD.

PR2748.jpg

PR2748-insert.jpg

The second picture shows the actual padding according to the sales rep...The top pictures shows the shirt I would actually purchase.

How thick are those pads on the hexpad shirts, anyway?

I can't believe you're going to get much protection from a ball in the 80s or 90s hitting you. It just doesn't look all that substantial. :)

Posted

How thick are those pads on the hexpad shirts, anyway?

I can't believe you're going to get much protection from a ball in the 80s or 90s hitting you. It just doesn't look all that substantial. :question1:

I have the ankle length tights with the hexpad on the thighs. According to McDavid, it is 9mm thick.

Not to wear all the time, but it might be nice to wear in a high school when I know the catcher is not very good. Not an every game thing, but something nice to have.

Posted

Some people are really scared of things that RARELY happen and don't do any damage to begin with.

My Gold leaves a few outer ribs exposed, but if I put even a 4" extension on it, it would be jammed into my waist when I get into my stance.

Posted

Some people are really scared of things that RARELY happen and don't do any damage to begin with.

My Gold leaves a few outer ribs exposed, but if I put even a 4" extension on it, it would be jammed into my waist when I get into my stance.

That's an excellent point. :question1:

Posted (edited)

How thick are those pads on the hexpad shirts, anyway?

I can't believe you're going to get much protection from a ball in the 80s or 90s hitting you. It just doesn't look all that substantial. :question1:

I got drilled smack in the thigh with an uncaught, high-80s fastball, and it was like a mild, dull thud. No sting, no bruise or even mild discoloration, nothing. Amazing stuff! I also have these football forearm guards that I wear when I call D-I fall and winter ball. I took a 90-m.p.h. glancer off of one of those and I felt nothing at all. (There's a kid in So. Cal. who lives at 97 m.p.h. One look at that guy and I wore the long-sleeve every time to wear those arm pads.)

P.S: That 97 m.p.h. is according to the scouts in the stands, not me.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty
Posted (edited)

I wear the Platinum vest and about 3 or 4 times during the season I get a ball bouncing through the catcher into my stomach. So I took the metatarsal shields from my shin guards, (I removed them from my shin guards as my shoes have the metatarsal protection.) I glued dense foam rubber on the back of the plates and attached to my Platinum with shoe strings. Easy stomach protection.

Edited by Dean
Posted

I think I remember somebody saying that Wilson was "thinking" about coming out with extension plates for their umpire CPs, but the MLB guys didn't express any interest.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Posted

I scissor so getting hit in the stomach almost never happens. If it does it a bouncer so there isn't much on it. I have considered getting an extension but never have.


×
×
  • Create New...