Hunter's busy day

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4665 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The Umpire Ejection Fantasy League shows the inside pitch as a strike ......I'm not totally convinced...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17798809

But what's more ....look at where Hunter is ....no wonder he called it inside. He's rarely ever in the slot anymore!

check swing .......... more equipment tossing

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17805063

he was in the slot, but the catcher was inside as well...he got blocked out. when your blocked out you have to move up and back..

actually doesn't look like he ever started there, ...but ....you know more than I do :notworthy: There's been plenty of comments and vids showing him over the catcher lately also..... like when he got his bell rung....

alot of the time the catchers set up on the inside, and the batters are on top of the plate, we are taught to see the pitch coming out of the pitchers hand, if your really in the slot on these times your not gonna see it, so to fix it you need to get back and work up. and yes you will be over the catchers head. it happens. this is when you really rely on where the catcher catches the ball.

• Like 1

alot of the time the catchers set up on the inside, and the batters are on top of the plate, we are taught to see the pitch coming out of the pitchers hand, if your really in the slot on these times your not gonna see it, so to fix it you need to get back and work up. and yes you will be over the catchers head. it happens. this is when you really rely on where the catcher catches the ball.

mazza, thanks for the above post. I had an issue with this exact thing last weekend. Setting up in the slot, LH pitcher, LH hitter crowding the plate, large, large catcher taking away my slot and w/ pinpoint control F1 starts pounding the inside corner. It is very uncomfortable working that high and right over the top of F2, but that's the only success I had on those pitches. While I did possibly miss a couple as I experimented with different techniques, the one you suggest, seemed to be the only one that worked.

Thanks!!!

I didn't like the ejection of Freeman for throwing his bat. I know we can't see the wide angle, but it looked like he just flipped his bat and helmet toward the dugout like everyone else does after a strikeout. He didn't slam/spike anything and I really don't think it was directed at the PU.

I didn't like the ejection of Freeman for throwing his bat. I know we can't see the wide angle, but it looked like he just flipped his bat and helmet toward the dugout like everyone else does after a strikeout. He didn't slam/spike anything and I really don't think it was directed at the PU.

I agree. I'm not sure what PU saw but I don't see it as that. But, again as I have said before, perception is reality. If he saw it that way, did someone else? It's getting hot and leashes/tempers are getting short.

It's been said a million times here don't do what the pro guys do.

Also Hunter is one of the very few scissors guys left, and that is definitely not taught anywhere anymore.

Is Jeff Nelson one of the scissors guys remaining or has he switched??

Nope, he scissors still, and so does Jeff Kellog, and so does Tim Tschida, ....and I'm not sure what the heck Tim Timmons is doing , lol. Lance Barksdale does modified, and so does Gary Cederstrom....