Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6194 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Need two answers from 50 people, here please help!

Question 1: What % calls do MLB umpires get wrong?

Question 2: What calls should baseball allow replay on? IE: HRS, Fair Foul, Bangers etc....

Edited by AChesnut
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

it depends on what level you are talking about for question 1...

I assume you are talking about MLB umpires. The % of calls umpires get correct is 98 and up, so 2% or less they get wrong on the bases. I am not sure about behind the dish, but the numbers don't change to dramatically.

As for replay, I have posted on this before here and here is my take:

"Right now, i have no problem with the current replay system. with how the ball park are shaped and designed and how tough some of the homerun calls can be, it makes sense. it is also tough to judge some of the fan interference calls because of how slow some of the umpires are getting out to rule on it (not pointing any fingers though). fair/foul on the homerun calls are questionable, i personally don't like them being up for replay. :shrug:

unfortunanlty, i feel once you go down the road of relpay, you keep going. look at the NFL. i feel that one day the coach's will have some sort of a red flag to throw. as much as this kills me saying it :confused:, it more than likely will happen.

it hate replay :TD:"

that was a couple months ago and I still feel the same way....:BD:

Posted

Need two answers from 50 people, here please help!

Question 1: What % calls do MLB umpires get wrong?

Question 2: What calls should baseball allow replay on? IE: HRS, Fair Foul, Bangers etc....

1) 100% - the % they get right

2) All calls that go against "my" team.

Posted

I think an umpire gets 100% of the calls right to his or her knowledge and ability.

As for replay, I'm not a big fan. I think the perfection of baseball is the fact the game isn't perfect at all. To me the replay is a slipping slope. We start off using it for home runs and before you know it we will have to pause the game after every close pitch to see whether or not it was a strike. Games will go from 2.5 hours to 5 hours, fans will get bored with the game, and then the game that I love and stive to keep its integrity into it will be no more.

Posted

Need two answers from 50 people, here please help!

Question 1: What % calls do MLB umpires get wrong?

Question 2: What calls should baseball allow replay on? IE: HRS, Fair Foul, Bangers etc....

1: I'd say less than 2%. Seeing that the plate umpire has, perhaps, 300 pitches to judge, and most of them are easy, 1-2% may be large. Plus most plays at the bags are routine. It's that 1% that glares out at you.

2: Only ones that are easily fixable.

Posted

I'm assuming that you are working on some Probability and statistics homework, so I will give you measurable answers:

A - 0%

B - IR will go as far as the media and fans allow it. When it slows down the game to an hour more than it is now, it will stop. MLB has never been as smart as the NFL in the marketing and presentation of their product.

I am all for the use of technology. If it becomes feasible for a radar like device to measure the strike zone and read the coating on the ball and adjust to the different heights of the batters, then by all means get the umpire out of harms way. Let him come out to call safes/outs at the plate and adjust the mechanism.

Posted

I believe the the 2% is correct. It could be as high as 4% but that's absolutely the high side.

IR:

I am OK with it's use on boundary calls as it is now. Personally I would like to not use it at all but I'm OK with the current level. I absolutely don't think it should be expanded. It has absolutely no businaess in bang/bang calls, ball/strikes or catch/no catch.


×
×
  • Create New...