Bent cage - Shock FX

BrianC14
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5367 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Legion A. Good heat from both pitchers, in a tight game that went 9 innings, and ended 4-3.

In middle innings, batter attempts to sac bunt on a high pitch. He misses. So does catcher, who reacted slowly from the miss.

The pitch hits me square in the melon, about eyebrow height, right in the cage.

It rang my bell real good (I joked later with my partner that I was now a bell without a clanger, haha... ouch).

Had a splitting headache the rest of the game.

Only afterward did I notice that there's now a slight bend in the cage, and the really bad news is that the bend is located right at a weld joint.

I'm a bit concerned now about the strength of that weld.

Does anyone know if Wilson has replacement cages available?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume that they do but the important concern is your headache. Did it persist for any length of time. If it lasted into the evening or the next day, there is a good chance you recieved a minor concussion. If you believe that to be the case then you need to take some time off.

Bri,

with all the marketing they are doing on that new helmet, I would call or email them and I am sure they would send you a new one. I think as they are trying to make them lighter, they are trying different metals and thicknesses or hollowness. And in a forum like this, I am sure they would oblige in a replacement. But I agree with MS, dont mess with a concussion, take a week and get that coconut in shape again. Heck, how about dolphin fishing in Miami? Come on down, but please bring SPF 75, I dont need you going back to CO and looking like a lobster...

Bri,

with all the marketing they are doing on that new helmet, I would call or email them and I am sure they would send you a new one. I think as they are trying to make them lighter, they are trying different metals and thicknesses or hollowness. And in a forum like this, I am sure they would oblige in a replacement. But I agree with MS, dont mess with a concussion, take a week and get that coconut in shape again. Heck, how about dolphin fishing in Miami? Come on down, but please bring SPF 75, I dont need you going back to CO and looking like a lobster...

Our sun's hotter than yours. :) Well, we're closer to it, anyway. ;)

Thanks for the invite, though. As it happens, I have a week off, and am going to be visiting the in-laws for several days. Besides, there aren't any lingering effects anyway. The headache went away after a couple of well-placed pints and a small slab of ribs after the games (I had bases in game 2). :tantrum:

Besides, there aren't any lingering effects anyway.

I figure on contacting Wilson some time today to see if they can help.

I'm going to have another look at the cage today before I call them, and maybe get some photos of it.

I'd use SPF 100 if it were available. I think they call that a "jacket". :P I've already had the "C" scare a few years ago, and I don't mess with Mr. Sol.

:)

I bet if you got in touch with Jim Kirk, he could point you in the right direction. That's a bummer, hope you feel better. I have been fortunate so far with my Shock FX. Taken some shots, but have only suffered some chips in the paint on the mask is all.

I just hope there's no lingering effects of spending the week with the inlaws.

Sorry honey, you know how much I've been looking forward to this vacation, but I'm just so behind on my work this just isn't going to be a good time, you go ahead with out me.

LOL.

About those lingering effects, how are they? LOL..

Oh, dont think that just cause I invited you, we are going to take hot showers together or I am going to rub oil on your back LOL.

email them, a time or two and I am sure one will come in the mail, they dont want any bad press and I am sure the one they sent you, was for a Ken doll (given your non-melon sized head LOL).

That one just doesnt fit my head or that would be the one I wear as for that C, had some on the arm and one of the kid's mom, that I coached in football took care of it. Was funny, when I was knicked at my evaluation for HS for my LiveStrong band, I went guess what for me, this is not jewelry.

and remember you can drink only AFTER games.... oh and tell your MotherinLaw to quit sending me those nonmentionables.... LOL

Glad that knock, helped your stammering from 8 times to now four.

LOL.

About those lingering effects, how are they? LOL..

Oh, dont think that just cause I invited you, we are going to take hot showers together or I am going to rub oil on your back LOL.

email them, a time or two and I am sure one will come in the mail, they dont want any bad press and I am sure the one they sent you, was for a Ken doll (given your non-melon sized head LOL).

That one just doesnt fit my head or that would be the one I wear as for that C, had some on the arm and one of the kid's mom, that I coached in football took care of it. Was funny, when I was knicked at my evaluation for HS for my LiveStrong band, I went guess what for me, this is not jewelry.

and remember you can drink only AFTER games.... oh and tell your MotherinLaw to quit sending me those nonmentionables.... LOL

Glad that knock, helped your stammering from 8 times to now four.

Eight to four is what - half? Yeah, I think that's right. Big step up there.

The really bad news... my summer boss (assignor) and his partner, a D1 guy, were both there, as their games had been cancelled, so they chose MY site to come for a visit. My partner is our spring HS association president and a D2 umpire as well.

My headache went away after they gave me their critique.... the pain in me arse took over for the pain in my head. They were fair, but man, it hurt!

"Your strike mechanic - what are you doing there? Flycasting?!? " :tantrum:

Stuff like that. Brutal, but honest. :)

After the head shot, I got behind the same F2 to look at a few pitches from a new F1. I'm on his right side (pretend LH batter) and - WHACK! Take one right on top of the shoe. Now the 450s have been tested. I would have traded the head shot for a second foot shot. I look out and see my partner with his hand over his mouth, trying to contain a LOL. :) As I'm sweeping the plate, I told the F2 "I think you owe me a pizza by now". (Can't ask for beers, he's only in HS). :P

What a day.

I just hope there's no lingering effects of spending the week with the inlaws.

Sorry honey, you know how much I've been looking forward to this vacation, but I'm just so behind on my work this just isn't going to be a good time, you go ahead with out me.

Matter of fact, I think I feel the headache coming back.... :tantrum:

I bet if you got in touch with Jim Kirk, he could point you in the right direction. That's a bummer, hope you feel better. I have been fortunate so far with my Shock FX. Taken some shots, but have only suffered some chips in the paint on the mask is all.

Already in the works with Jim, but I've also placed a call to WSG in Chicago.

LOL, flycasting. It was funny, watching the CWS last night in the TX game, I remember how a couple of my evaluators would have just pounded on him, whining about side strikes vs. consistent hammer or delay in setting up or calling balls outside or in.... After the game goes 4 hours, I go....damn HE WAS GOOD.....

Remember how much better you, wait I mean me is now with our continued refinements and honing of our skills. Wait, besides the lingering effects....LOL

So I called WSG in Chicago; they were great, they're to replace the cage & the shocks, and will send a kit to install it, no cost.

Jim Kirk's crew at www.ump-attire.com has been fantastic as well, helping out where they can.... I hadn't realized that Wilson has made some changes to the Shock FX since I bought mine last summer - still working out some details as to what's been changed.

After calling Wilson, I took a longer, closer look at the cage - holy :censored: , Batman! I must have really gotten some heat on that pitch - the top portion of the cage is bent out of alignment with the lower half, and at the point of contact, it's bent in anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" . :smachhead: Looking at it now, I shouldn't have continued on with it in that condition, and should have retrieved my backup mask (Wilson Dynalite).

And besides, there haven't been any lingering effects.

Edited by BrianC14

I don't think you should be flying in that condition....

And remember... warren is premed! :smachhead:

(And yes I know there was already a post about it but someone beat me to this line so I had to throw it somewhere else:kissass:)

And remember... warren is premed! ;)

(And yes I know there was already a post about it but someone beat me to this line so I had to throw it somewhere else:kissass:)

Wait - I thought Warren was pre-flight. :censored:

Not that there are any lingering effects... :smachhead:

Brian,

Before you replace the cage take a picture and let us see.

I'm glad you've had a good response from Wilson & Ump-Attire to get it fixed.

One of the important things to remember here is that the mask did it's job. Yes the cage bent but that bending, coupled with the shocks in the mask dispersed even more energy keeping him protected.

Wait - I thought Warren was pre-flight. :confused:

Not that there are any lingering effects... :yippie:

Nope but there could be:cheers:

One of the only worth while characters on that show. I would watch it just for him! I GOT MAIL I GOT MAIL!!! HA HA HA

Hey Brian, I mentioned before that my cage was good, just some chipped paint was all, then yesterday I took a closer look at it, and holy sh!7 batman! I need to contact Wilson as well. The bottom part of the cage is all out of whack. You have a phone number?

Hey Brian, I mentioned before that my cage was good, just some chipped paint was all, then yesterday I took a closer look at it, and holy sh!7 batman! I need to contact Wilson as well. The bottom part of the cage is all out of whack. You have a phone number?

Wilson Global Headquarters

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Wilson Sporting Goods Co.

8750 W. Bryn Mawr Ave

Chicago

USA

Tel. +1 773 714 6400

>>Click for Customer Service

Email: askwilson@wilson.com

Tell the receptionist your question/problem, she'll put you in touch w/ the right person. Don't recall right off who I spoke with... Scott, maybe?

LOL,,,I am just glad you are alright Bri. Had a double this past weekend, let me just say this, first game plate, 2nd bases. Bottom 4th 2nd game, catcher starts to lean, I call time and go get off the field, ie HEAT. Damn near got me too, my partner looks at me and goes HOW YOU DOING? I go... Not good.... I am staying in C..... until my head clears, LOL.... He goes...I know why you took the first game....