kwiggie
Inactive-
Posts
294 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by kwiggie
-
Wilson West Vest Pro Umpire Chest Protector A3209
kwiggie replied to POLOGREEN's topic in Umpire Equipment
I second this question? -
Praise for the Smitty shirts and Purchase Officials
kwiggie replied to Paperipper17's topic in Umpire Equipment
Got mine just prior to the season, LOVE IT! "Gets a bit nippie up Nort don't-cha-know" during the early season. -
Make a note of that Softballcoach, no plays that are refered to as "Blue!"
-
I completely agree! Same as I except that I give a discrete inside or out hand signal coming out of the crouch... emphasis on the discrete part! Again, I completely agree What is the difference between vocal or visual communication? other then the fact that vocal includes everyone including the crowd (whom I would like to keep out of the conversation) and a discrete visual will more than likely only involve the bench, who should know what to look for. Why vocalize this? A simple discrete hand signal intended for the benches will suffice. Why? his pitcher has been trying to locate and hasn't been able to do so and I let him and the bench know with a non-vocal signal. seriously?
-
BOOOOOO!!!!! Would every hit then be a "Fowl" ball? "I apologize in advance for encouraging this"
-
This is what I have been taught as well by the "war-horses" of our leagues. Their take is their is no need to locate a high or low pitch, both benches can get a good enough look at them. On that belt high (when f1 is trying to locate) just off the corner pitch for the 2nd3rd time in an at bat "discretely give a hand signal" as to the location of the ball... indside or out only. As Brian says I have only ever used this maybe 3 or 4 times during any given game, be stingy... my 2 cents. As far as Uecker being a "guest" to the brodcast booth that night he is going in for some major surgery and will be out of action for a predicted couple of months.
-
You are right... I got to start going to bed earlier!
-
The perfect storm of umpire-specific hilarity
kwiggie replied to Paperipper17's topic in Off-Topic/Funny Stories
The absolute best quote ever (from this forum) "No coach!, tie goes to me and I just got an out." -
The "Ole FUNGO!" nothing stinks of tradition like seeing a pu enter the field in a beanie or one of the coaches warming up his defense with one of these babies. If memory serves these bats are all that coaches use to use around here back in the day because they were easy to swing, and produced a more "game like" pop-up to the outfield.
-
What is a knob cover?
-
I am confused, are you actually off the right shoulder of f2 on a rh batter? Do you guys slide out with f2 when he sets up on the outside? I have seen guys that do and guys that don't and each seems to have their reasons as to why. I stay put,I get a GREAT veiw if I stay tight as opposed to moving out over "foul ball alley".
-
This is probably the most important lesson I was taught very early on... PERIOD! For what it is worth this advice is, well put, well thought, and has served me well in a handful of occasions throughout the years... buy that man a beer!
-
I (after reading this thread) use water to clean my shoes after the game and a cheap bottle of hairspray to polish them up about every other game... this works great. The hairspray seems to build up in layers just like my wife's hair back in the 80's when she sported "Cobra Hair".
-
I am looking at 2-22.1, and could not find a Rules by TopicCase Play to say anything about fake catches or otherwise. I like were this is going so far. I have to admit that this rule (2-22.1) is pretty vague in general and really lends itself to being "read into" more then maybe it should. If you or anyone else has it post it, I am truly hoping that Stan puts up somthing to back you up... I get excited everytime fed doesn't decide to address somthing from "Old School Ball" such as the fake cut-off, or the fake bunt slash swing, etc, etc.
-
Sounds like to me that maybe you are one of those coaches who should be taking on these "kids with history".
-
Closes I have come in 7yrs. ironically enough was this last Friday night "Frosh" ball, 4 pitch inning with all 3 put-outs scored f5 to f3.
-
If I am reading it right the op states that this is a HS game. Phantomfake tags are illegal and this base runner could be awarded an additional base if judged apropriate.
-
I have had my stint at HS softball... not for me . I don't consider softballor the men and women who umpire them beneth me, it's just "not for me". I don't jump into the threads only because I can't really relate not because it is below me. I have had several A.D.'s wanting me to do summer softball and I simply decline based on the fact that I am just not as skilled at it. To me it "is" a different game. You have obviously been able to transend between the two but for me 1.) I have not been able too, and 2.)I Have no interest too... has nothing to do with who is more elite. My consider the source. "As a matter of fact" I had a 1st time partner ask me (during a rainy game last night) if I would mind wearing a bag to keep some extra balls out in the field during a dh, "Not on your life son!!!!":BD: I completely agree! I will say this however, the older "war-horses" in our area have been moving to HS softball and letting the younger guys work the baseball games... for what ever reason (probably because they know somthing we don"t). Last summer I had an imprint of my cup around my....... for 2 months, compliments of 2 drillings in the same inning. I told the wife not to mess with me there, she said "No Problem" , good luck with Murphy's Law Big Red!
-
My vote goes to the mosh-pit... good stuff.
-
Wilson Shock FX 2009 steel model on ebay
kwiggie replied to Umpire in Chief's topic in Umpire Equipment
Forget the lid, scroll down and check out the UPRO17 cp. Anybody ever work with one of these? -
This is what I am going on, fed 7.3. art 5 cd penalty: "When there are not 2 outs and the runner is advancing home, if the runner is tagged out interference is ignored. Otherwise, the ball is dead and the runner is called out." I got to interp this as a delayed dead ball sit. yn? Penalty: "If the pitch is a third strike and in the umpire's judgement interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs), two may be ruled out." The only thing that I would disagree with in the given situation described is that b2 is not inherently out due to the fact that 1st base is open to advance to. Please, fill in the blanks Mstaylor this one has got me thinking!
-
That is exactly what I was telling myself everytime I thought that I would say somthing to f2 about setting up on the inside, glad I didn't for that very reason! Oh, and the whole squeeze thing too (which to be honest I wasn't thinking about after about the 7th braining, but good point in retrospect). I forced myself to maintain my same repititionroutine between and during deliveries for the exact reasons you mention Paperipper for the sake of rep. & routine, "this is NOT the time is not the time to adjust". YES! this sophomore pitcher was that good. The best part was he was all of 5'7" 115lb and about as awkward a kid that you have ever seen... but damn could he hurl.
-
You know, in on the hands of the batters... The catcher did a good job, it is just that I was being peppered with foul balls all day from inside pitches. Like I said he set up down the middle of the plate all game. Now with that said, would you suggest to f2 that if his pitcher is going to live on the inside corner of the plate that he needs to consider setting up on the inside as well?
-
In short, worked a game last weekend and just got the h@ll kicked out of me as pu. I work the slot, heel to toe, etc. HT f1 was working the inside of the plate all day long. f2 was setting up on the middle of the plate regardless of the pitch call, no complaints about f2, he did a fine job. 99% of my hits came from jam shots. My big concern was that I took (I think) 5 or 6 shots to the grill, that is more then I took all last year. So my question is, to you guys who use it, do you make an adjustment at some point during this game to maybe lessen the shots you are taking in the slot?
