MT73
Established Member-
Posts
356 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Everything posted by MT73
-
In an 18U softball game I called IF when the shortstop went about 10 feet into the outfield to catch a routine fly ball. The coach went crazy, shouting, "How can you call Infield Fly when she was in the outfield!!!" Then he went on to say in very sarcastic manner, " Infield fly, Blue. Infield fly!!! Get it?? She has to be in the infield!!!" I tried not to but I could not help chuckling out loud before telling him that it was time to move on.
-
Talk to partner, or wait till coach ask for conference
MT73 replied to White47's topic in Umpire Mechanics
It was a rule question. Ball went by an infielder and no other infielder had a play on the ball so no interference. Unless you are sure best not to get involved unless asked. -
2 more weeks for NYC. Same moronic coaches/ parents in summer ball
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
I saw that game live. How the umpires did not see it in the review is troubling but, then again, I am not sure if they can play it in slow motion. Never mind-- I read that it was not reviewed.
-
We are assuming that the umpires blew the call. Maybe not. Since the ball landed behind the shortstop it is possible that the umpires did not feel that the criteria for an infield fly was met.
-
Yes because this is considered continuous action so the defense does not lose it's right to appeal.
-
There is no provision in any ruleset to call an out for a thrown bat. I will have to check my Babe Ruth rulebook but there may be a provision of having him restricted to the bench.
-
You guys sure make me watch my P's and Q's ( Smiley face included if I knew how to do that)
-
OBR---If the shortstop has a play on the ball and the runner interfered with the fielder he is out. A runner can never be called out for being struck with a deflected fair ( unless the contact was intentional) batted ball but he can be called for interfernce if he hinders the fielder who is in the process of going after the ball. But--if the ball strikes him which ruins the fielder's chance at a play the runner is not out. While the rule posted by Stkjock seems to contradict this the MLBUM makes it very clear that a runner who is struck by a DEFLECTED batted ball can only be out if he intentionally makes contact with the ball. To add to the OBR confusion--if a runner is struck by a fair non deflected batted ball that goes thru or by and infielder he is not out UNLESS another infielder has a play on it. It is amazing how much we have to learn for a $60 16U game eh? Which is why I refuse to discuss rules with anyone who is not an umpire. At least in person.
-
Nah. I would inform the coach--quietly--to speak to the kid and tell him to please not do it again.
-
I could not agree more. Play at first but fielder bobbled the ball--call it while giving the bobble signal.' Was F 3's foot off the bag--Call it--"Safe--She's off the Bag!! F3 dropped the ball--"Safe--Safe--Ball is down." Close play on second but runner beat the tag by a heartbeat--Safe. Safe. She's in there! Or "Safe Safe--tagged her on the base." Etc. etc And yes, I used she because it is still softball season
-
Correct. Also, the only time a runner is not out if hit by a batted ball is in an infield fly situation.
-
Well, that settles it. Thanks. I never managed this would have been an issue in the past. Live and learn. Question--will this be adopted by Federation?
-
In OBR he would still be out under through or by if another infielder had a play on the ball.
-
A runner can never be called out if struck with a deflected batted ball. However, if another player had a chance of fielding the deflected batted ball and the runner interferes with him--other than being struck with the ball--then he would be out. (OBR) Maven--OBR is very specific that through or by means through the fielder's legs or by his outstretched glove. The MLBUM makes this point very clear and has a few case plays to support it. I am pretty sure that FED sees this differently ( as do most coaches, players and fans) that if the infield is shifted in ( as for a bunt) that a runner then struck with a batted ball is not out.
-
No. Never. When I first started umpiring I was pleasantly surprised that I could call a curveball without any trouble. My real test came in my second year when, in a men's baseball game I was calling, one of the pitchers was a former AA player. As long as you track the ball all the way into the catchers mitt ( naturally this is easier said than always done) and do not anticipate which pitch is coming ( luckily I am not that baseball savvy to anticipate) this should not be a problem.
-
So if they pick up the wrong ball and make a tag I would call the runner safe?? Hopefully I would not get confused by which ball is which.
-
This is getting confusing. In any game I am calling--be it OBR or Federation-- if the third out is made or declared in a force situation I will not score any runs. Let them file a formal protest and who knows, maybe there will be another Georgia type ruling on this.
-
For the record I was umpiring a girls Varsity fastpitch playoff game. My question, however, was not specifically about men's softball ( although the same thing could happen there) but about any baseball or softball situation.
-
I was the BU for a Varsity softball game today. The home team had a habit of leaving their warm up balls near the dugout but still within live ball territory. I made sure they were placed in the dugout but it got me thinking. What is the ruling if a player accidentally picks up the wrong ball while attempting to retire a runner? Say there is a ball stuck in the fence above home plate and it comes down when the catcher is going after a passed ball and he picks up the ball which just fell down rather then the one in the game?
-
In OBR he would be out, even if the defense was playing in since this does not qualify as through or by an infielder. But I think FED may have a different interpretation.
-
But an appeal on a force play is still a force.
-
Yes, very poor grammar. Just the man I need to help me read English" gooder"
