Jump to content

johnnyg08

Moderators
  • Posts

    8,997
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    88

Everything posted by johnnyg08

  1. Great book, worth the one game fee investment. Others will disagree, (some whose opinions I respect very much) but if you're serious about becoming a better umpire, you'll make the investment.
  2. Go get 'em. Stay focused on the prize. You can do it!!
  3. johnnyg08

    2012 BRD

    I was paging through my new BUE from Childress and he stated in there that there will be a 2012 BRD, due out in Feb 2012. So if you missed out last year, you can get a new one this year! Happy shopping!
  4. Still waiting for the ump-attire poly-wools to come out, I have $40 in manuals sitting in my UA cart right now, but I want to save on shipping so I'm going to order them when those plate pants come out. Anybody know about release date? I'm hearing that it might be before January...
  5. I had to go up 1/2 size. If in doubt size up, it's only 1/8"
  6. Hang in there U24...you showed big time seeds last year when you posted that video...that says a lot about your character. I wish more umpires had your temperament. You had the guts to admit your mistake. I had the chance to talk to a former MLB catcher who was in the National League for a couple of years and he said that the thing players like about Jim Joyce (pre-Armando), was that if he missed a pitch, he would admit it....(ie, he was human). Obviously you don't want to make a career of saying you missed x,y, or z, but to be human about it when it happens is appreciated by all when appropriate.
  7. I also read this cover-to-cover in a short time. Great read!
  8. Got my BUE from Childress today. Have to say, I started reading the article on page 106. That article alone was worth the price of admission. Enjoy...can't go wrong with this one!
  9. I've said it once, and I'll say it one more time. I'm not good enough to tell what hit what first. I will use proper timing to read the hitter's reaction and I'm going to make my call and stick with the call I make. To say that one hit before the other on a play like that...I'm not good enough to tell the difference, if in doubt at all, it's going to be a dead ball strike three. Done. Next play please. I will also not listen to much of an argument at all either because that would be arguing balls and strikes. There are more important plays than picking fly **** out of pepper on a play like this. There have been times where I've looked at a player's arm to see if there are stitch marks or a red mark indicating a HBP...but it's not a play to waste a ton of time arguing over.
  10. That's where you get paid to umpire and use judgment.
  11. Good thread for a troll
  12. I gotta tell ya, that's a new one. "Listen, Skip, you better put your lid back on. This is your warning" I can't imagine ever saying that to a grown man. And I always thought removing ones chapeau was sign of respect, I mean, we all do it after the final putt on the 18th, before shaking hands, right? I think it would be similar to throwing equipment in protest of a call. You have to visualize the situation. That act can incite a crowd.
  13. Put up the stop sign, ask the head coach in a calm voice to relax and talk to me or the conversation is over. Anybody but the head coach charges and it's an automatic dump in most cases. If coach does not relax and continues to act like an idiot, dump him and walk away, he just ejected himself.
  14. I read this information thought it was pretty good and so I will share it below. *inciting, or attempting to incite, spectators by word, sign, or demonstration *using language that refers personally and negatively upon any umpire, or making intentional contact with an umpire *Calling "time" or employing any other word or phrases, or commit any act while the ball is live, for the purpose of making the pitcher balk *standing in a position in the batter's line of vision for the deliberate and unsportsmanlike intent of distracting the batter *continuing to argue judgment decisions after being warned by the umpires to cease *make intentional contact with any umpire *leaving their position, after being warned, for the purpose of arguing balls and strikes or check swings *leaving their position for the purpose of participating in, or instigating a fight with a member from the opposing team *after acknowledging the comments, responding when needed, and warning about further comments, they continue to argue *Personal language: *You are, you're...followed by anything *directing violent or vulgar, personal language at the umpire *comments about another member of your crew Gesture *taking hat off, and does not put it back on head after warning *inciting the crowd *throwing arms up in the air, and does not stop after warning *kicking dirt Intentional Contact Throwing equipment in violent disapproval of an umpire's decision, where a league equipment violation policy does not take precedence Following any warning that continuing the action will result in an ejection, and the action continues NOTE: There may be instances where an umpire should ignore initial comments by team members, or where a response or warning is necessary immediately. The list is not required to be followed in all instances and in the order noted. Each situation is different, and should be handled differently depending on the circumstances surrounding the situation and the personalities involved. -The above information is taken from the Wendelstedt Umpire School Rules and Interpretations Manual page 62 and 65
  15. Don't get any ideas Kevin. :beerbang
  16. Quote from Childress on other boards: My new book is available now at Amazon.com Click here to order. Relevant information: This is a reference book for umpires at all levels and for those who might want to become an umpire. It has 281 entries, 243 letter-size pages, 151,00 words plus illustrations. If it's about baseball umpiring, you'll find in Baseball Umpires Encyclopedia. Rules, umpire rotations, game control: It's all here. Here's a sample entry: Phantom Double Play — It's the most famous "bad" call of all time. The shortstop gloves the ball and, as Milo Hamilton says, "Flip it! Fire it! Double play!" The fact that the second baseman "forgot" to tag the base while he had the ball has been irrelevant for about a hundred years. See phantom force, the next entry. I first heard about this play in 1949 when I began listening to the Liberty Broadcasting System. Gordon McClendon, who called himself the "Old Scotchman" and pretended to be in his early 80s, re-created major league baseball games. He was always introduced like this: "Coming to you live from Yankee Stadium, by wire report...." We 12-year-old kids didn't know "wire report" meant Western Union telegrams. The "Old Scotchman" was 29 when I began listening to him broadcast from KLIF in Dallas. Allow me to re-create one of Gordon's typical calls: "Doby's on first, nobody out. Lou Boudreau digs in. Lopat stretches, delivers. It's a sharp grounder to Rizzuto's left, but it's no match for him. He gobbles it up and flips to Stirnweiss for the out at second. On to Henrich at first: Out! Boudreau's not as fast as he used to be. Listen, folks, Snuffy Stirnweiss wasn't within two feet of second when he took Rizzuto's throw. But Red Jones thumbed him out anyway. Folks, that's called the phantom double play. Wait'll you get to a big league park. You'll see what I mean. Stepping in now is the right fielder, Bob Kennedy. He's hitting just ...." As I recall, Gordon rarely omitted his reference to the "imaginary" out at second. In spite of its storied past, though, we don't see the phantom double play very often in the big leagues anymore. Every game is televised. No umpire wants to see ten replays showing him calling an out when F4 wasn't within "two feet of second." But they don't have ten TV cameras bearing down on your every move at your local park. Do your bit for safety and tradition. If the runner was going to be out, he was out. ------------------- Price: $17.99 Guarantee: Buy the book. If you don't think it's worth the money, email me: carl@bluezebrasports.com. I'll refund your price via PayPal. And you can keep the book! Carl Childress
  17. It's probably one of those awards where they all nominate each other, there was nobody else left to nominate and there we have it.
  18. Easy, umipres will rule fair, then they can over rule it foul and send everybody back. When in doubt, signal fair. Simple.
  19. This is why you swing out into foul territory, on the 3rd base side to see the touch and bounce back to the plate. This gives you a much better look at the inside corner of the bag, possible obstruction or interference by 3rd base coach. I would argue that looking directly up 3rd base line on 3BLEX could bring multiple things that could block your view. Things such as the catcher standing at the plate the 3rd baseman or cut-off man blocking the view of 3rd etc. Swinging out into foul territory is not a good idea, and most coordinators/ evaluators do not want you going out into the grass a little to look for the touch at 3rd..if you stay at the POP and look toward 3rd, you will see if he touches. this way your not working to hard on getting back tot he POP then trying to read a Collision or swipe play./ Some Umpires like to work to hard.. there are many of times as an Umpire you do not have to move to be in the best spot. But Umpires have a tendency to think If I'm moving alot people/ coaches will think Im working hard. I think many umpires hustle themselves out of position. Overhustling (hustling for the sake of hustling), can often be looked at as negative.
  20. You're glancing for a touch anyway, it's very likely that we're only going to see a gross miss of 3b. As long as you have a clear look for a gross miss, then we'll be fine. The pending play at the dish is far more important than the touch. So we glance at the touch while getting in proper position for a swipe or block play at home.
  21. I like this. The formatting can use some tweaking...but it's a great idea and I like opening it up for all to edit...much like open source software, seems like a no-brainer for me. Maybe separate sheets for baseball FED, NCAA, & adult modified OBR, then a sheet for little league/modified OBR, then if softball/misc levels. Just brainstorming...that might be the worst idea ever too...who knows.
  22. If there is a collision play that is legal, and F2 still has the ball, the runner is out tag or not on a standard looking block and collide play. I trust that Matt knows what he's talking about even though reading on here might be tough to tell exactly what he'd do in every-single-situation at the plate.
  23. I guess if you need a small or XXXL, it might be a good option. No, on a serious note, the V-Neck might be an okay option. Personally, I'll probably stick w/ the crew neck.
  24. Thanks guys. I figured as much if referee didn't have them yet.
×
×
  • Create New...