Jump to content

johnnyg08

Moderators
  • Posts

    8,997
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    88

Everything posted by johnnyg08

  1. Me neither, but we have short memories. For years, Honigs priced these right were UA has them now. Only recently have they pulled their prices down.
  2. You're right, I paid $1.50 more for the expander waist band than Honigs w/o the expander.
  3. I'm still enjoying the fact that the thread titled "apperance" appearance is spelled incorrectly. It's about the attention to detail right? :-) Good humor
  4. Well, I opened up my Ump-Attire polywool base pants today and I also have a brand new pair of Honigs Poly Wool pants and at first glance they appear to be the exact same pants except for the added feature of the expandable waist. I will give a more detailed description when I have more time.
  5. I would like to see it demonstrated to see and hear how to do this properly.
  6. That's interesting. In your experience, does it actually help?
  7. ^^^^^^^^^^ Really wants the member of the month prize. :-)
  8. You keep your timing the same. Proper timing is proper timing no matter the instance. Do not change for the players. When would it end otherwise? You have a job to do, they have a job to do.
  9. He actually has nice leg guards, but no plate pants. At least its gray on gray! :Cool2:
  10. I suppose, that wouldn't be a terrible idea either...holy crud, sounds like a lot of work though.
  11. Remember at the MLB level, QuesTec gives 2" on the outside corner for the umpire to not be downgraded on his game. So at levels below MLB, you should be calling at least 2" on the outside corner. You want to be tighter on inside pitches, the ball had better get plate.
  12. I would have given body parts for this same advice years ago...now I'm breaking bad habits to learn the right way to do things. Read this stuff, apply this stuff, and have a hell of a good time umpiring.
  13. You meant heather, right? Yes...will change it...thanks!!!!!!!!
  14. boyinr, you have received the best advice you can receive on how to improve your timing. Read Matt and yawetag's posts a few times to comprehend what they're trying to explain to you. Any young umpire will benefit from those two posts above. It really is as simple as they're writing, but it takes practice and discipline to do it on every play. Now get out there and work some games. Get observed by somebody who you know knows what they're doing. If you can afford it, attend a professional clinic and work on those skills, it will make you a better umpire overnight if you're using your eyes correctly.
  15. If you don't use your eyes properly, your timing won't improve, it will just take you longer to miss your calls.
  16. Yep, for that reason alone, I threw my heather pants in the garbage. I'm not enabling those who choose to not upgrade their uniforms. I don't expect everybody to be a gear junkie like myself, but it's not too much to ask to get a new cap every year, upgrade your pants from "race for the cure" pink, and get a black jersey.
  17. Learn how to use your eyes. When you do that, your timing will improve.
  18. Well, I ordered my UA polywool pants. The plate ones won't be in until February according to UA, but I should have my base pants here by the end of the week.
  19. I'm assuming Federation.
  20. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that many of these guys have no idea that they're so under-dressed for the part. Then they're the first ones to complain about not getting games.
  21. I used my new All Star CP last week for about an hour a day for three days. I was getting some rub on the right side of my neck. Other than that, the CP is very comfortable. Needless to say, I'm a bit worried about a neck rash after a 2 hour plate...then having to explain the rash on my neck to my wife. Yikes!
  22. Is it something that Staples could convert into a spiral book? Yes, but you don't want plastic, you want metal binding. The guy at FedEx kinkos (who doesn't have metal binding) said that would be the way to go...that being said, I'm not a great book binding mind so it might work.
  23. I've had partners wearing white socks on the field, their 1" church belt, visible green undershirt, "Randy's hardware" navy blue jacket when it's cold, (hey, it's navy blue right), my personal pet peeve is navy blue caps with black jerseys, those are a few right off the TOP of my head...and yes, several, several, breast cancer awareness heather gray pants. BTW, I'm stealing the breast cancer awareness pants line.
  24. Unfortunately not spiral. Not sure of the terminology, but basically a large paperback book.
  25. I have a really good buddy who went to Jim's in 2010 and then Harry's in 2011.. He likes Harry's better.. and the only difference in mechanics is the double play footwork.. I like Jim's on the 1st base side..and Harry's for the 3rd base side.. oh and the way the call a check swing.." Yes, (pointing at the batter) come and and say "he went while signialing the strike... harry's check swing "yes he did, then stand and signal the swing".. that is about it... Can you please talk a bit more about the double play footwork differences between the schools? What is different?
×
×
  • Create New...