Rawling's NC HC

Guest bbbill
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2450 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, catsbackr said:

And, it takes some getting used to, as an umpire, when recording changes as the game goes on.

I've been prepared after studying this: http://www.northbaydbms.net/nbpo/SimplifyingtheCollegeDHRule.pdf edited, sorry link no good anymore

But I haven't seen a coach yet that doesn't keep it simple. Have you seen a coach employ the ability to go back and forth between 9 and 10?

7 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I've been prepared after studying this: http://www.northbaydbms.net/nbpo/SimplifyingtheCollegeDHRule.pdf

But I haven't seen a coach yet that doesn't keep it simple. Have you seen a coach employ the ability to go back and forth between 9 and 10?

I have -- once or twice a year in college.  I've also had them try this (I hope this is right -- it's from memory, and I haven't read the NCAA DH rule in a couple of years):

• P/DH.
  • Removed as P (new pitcher enters), stay as DH
  • Enter to play F3, as F3 moves to pitch. (Batting order stays the same).

That last step is not allowed.  The could have done it if the second step was not in between.

14 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I've been prepared after studying this: http://www.northbaydbms.net/nbpo/SimplifyingtheCollegeDHRule.pdf

Jim,

Maybe once a year.  Most coaches, in my experience, do not really understand the college DH rules at all, or how to use the rules to their advantage.

33 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I have -- once or twice a year in college.  I've also had them try this (I hope this is right -- it's from memory, and I haven't read the NCAA DH rule in a couple of years):

• P/DH.
  • Removed as P (new pitcher enters), stay as DH
  • Enter to play F3, as F3 moves to pitch. (Batting order stays the same).

That last step is not allowed.  The could have done it if the second step was not in between.

Not allowed, or does step three the one that ends the role of DH?

On 8/2/2017 at 11:10 AM, catsbackr said:

And, it takes some getting used to, as an umpire, when recording changes as the game goes on.

This one shouldn't be too hard though. Just list the P/DH twice. In the batting order, list the player as a DH.

Then at the bottom, list him as P. Switch as needed.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:14 PM, noumpere said:

Not allowed.

If the steps were 1, 3 then it would be allowed, but the DH would end.

Wouldn't that just mean that the new pitcher (the reliever) is out of the game for good? Now you have 9 players and 9 spots in the order. Or is there a provision that it can't happen? 

1 hour ago, TheRockawayKid said:

Wouldn't that just mean that the new pitcher (the reliever) is out of the game for good? Now you have 9 players and 9 spots in the order. Or is there a provision that it can't happen? 

7-2-e. Nine-player lineup—DH is the pitcher
1) If the P/DH is replaced defensively as the pitcher:
        a) When replaced as the pitcher, the P/DH may:
            (1) Remain as the DH and bat only in the DH spot. If remaining as
                  the DH, the individual or subsequent DH, cannot enter the game
                  in any other capacity (e.g., as the pitcher, defensive player or pinch
                  runner).

11 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

7-2-e. Nine-player lineup—DH is the pitcher
1) If the P/DH is replaced defensively as the pitcher:
        a) When replaced as the pitcher, the P/DH may:
            (1) Remain as the DH and bat only in the DH spot. If remaining as
                  the DH, the individual or subsequent DH, cannot enter the game
                  in any other capacity (e.g., as the pitcher, defensive player or pinch
                  runner).

OK. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, ScubaUmp said:

FHSAA allows for the PDH, He can pitch and DH, but that is it, no other defensive position can be played by the PDH same as college.

I'm a little confused by that -- not for FL (I'll assume you are right), but for NCAA -- the PDH CAN play another defensive position, as long as the change is made correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

I'm a little confused by that -- not for FL (I'll assume you are right), but for NCAA -- the PDH CAN play another defensive position, as long as the change is made correctly.

From their rule: 

"Please 
note
–
This
 is
 not 
the
 NCAA
 designated
 hitter
 rule.