Proper Base Running on Replay Review?

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2777 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Russell hits ball down the line, play seems to go on as live ball (?? - hard to be sure since the play is on screen for it's entirety), 3BU calls foul.  Runners return, Cubs challenge, after review foul ball call is reversed, Russell is awarded second base.

Russell then runs from home to second, never touches first, Cards do nothing.  If appealed for failing to run the bases properly, would Russell have been ruled out, or does the fact that he reached second on the original play eliminate that jeopardy?  I reviewed Rule 5.05 and 5.06 and did not see (doesn't mean it is not there) something applicable. 

@ 2:35 mark.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v1188853583/stlchc-russells-foul-ball-overturned-into-double

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

This is really the same play as that "funny home run" recently posted maybe in the professional section.  It's (likely) why the umpires in that game brought everyone back and had them all re-run the bases.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some clarification on the method of dealing with this going forward.

10 minutes ago, maven said:

Yes, the BR would have been called out on appeal.

An award by rule is the right to run the bases legally without liability to be put out. The BR is still required to touch 1B on his way to his awarded base.

that's exactly what I recalled.  Thx Maven

4 minutes ago, noumpere said:

This is really the same play as that "funny home run" recently posted maybe in the professional section.  It's (likely) why the umpires in that game brought everyone back and had them all re-run the bases.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some clarification on the method of dealing with this going forward.

yea, I recall that, Nats game with Morse hitting the HR

2 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

If the runner had already reached 2B then he was just being placed back there - no violation.  The video posted doesn't show what he did on the original hit.

Agreed, that the video doesn't show what he did, my suspicion is that he probably stopped between home and first or first and second based on what one can see. Unfortunately I cannot find a better video

2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

If the runner had already reached 2B then he was just being placed back there - no violation.  The video posted doesn't show what he did on the original hit.

This is what I would think as well. If he had already run the bases properly, do we need to make him do it again? On that hit, he should have easily made it to first and would have been at least making the turn toward 2B.

Say we have R3, and we have a play that he scores on. Upon appeal, he is sent back, does he need to touch HP before returning to 3B, or does he just go back? 

5 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

That's debatable. That foul ball was dead before he touched 1B (if he touched it), and runners cannot make non-award advances or touches when the ball is dead.