Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6351 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've said before I call LL games but have never laid hands on the LL RIM.

I'm having the problem of Jrs/Srs batters stepping out of the box after every pitch. I know it was a POE this year with FED, but does LL have anything mandating the batter stay in the box unless forced out?

I usually say, "I need you to stay in here." but would love to be able to say, "You have to stay in here."

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I've said before I call LL games but have never laid hands on the LL RIM.

I'm having the problem of Jrs/Srs batters stepping out of the box after every pitch. I know it was a POE this year with FED, but does LL have anything mandating the batter stay in the box unless forced out?

I usually say, "I need you to stay in here." but would love to be able to say, "You have to stay in here."

Doing non FED games I've just told the coaches at pre-game that I'm enforcing the "1 foot in the box" rule (mine) to keep the game moving. Seems like almost all coaches agree. I also tell 'em at conference that I want someone warming up the pitcher otherwise I'm going to penalize him on throws. I state that it's because of time constraints (sun sets before 8pm until next week).

Both mentioned at the same time seems to alleviate the problem.:Horse:

Posted

There isn't a mechanism for this. If a kid wants to do the whole funky adjust the gloves, tap the shoes with the bat, practice swing, etc thing between pitches, he's allowed to. However, I'll say "let's go batter" once, then 6.02© comes into play, and they start racking up strikes without pitches.

Posted

12 year old kid, decides he's Nomar Garciaparra, out of the box. I tell the kid: "c'mon, batter, get in here". Kid turns and says "I'll be in when I'm ready". I stand up, yell "Strike". Sit back down and say, "You ready?"

...he was ready

Posted

12 year old kid, decides he's Nomar Garciaparra, out of the box. I tell the kid: "c'mon, batter, get in here". Kid turns and says "I'll be in when I'm ready". I stand up, yell "Strike". Sit back down and say, "You ready?"

...he was ready

That would be the proper implementation of 6.02©. They get the message pretty quick.

Posted

Pretty much been said. But yeah, they can do it. But, it's not MLB so you decide when they need to get back in. They assume they CAN because it's not a big deal in the majors. Moving the game is more important here, so I give them 5 seconds or so depending on the speed of the pitcher to step back if they're just stepping out to do...whatever. It's never really come up though. When the pitcher has the ball and is about to toe the rubber, then I expect you to be about to step in.

Posted

They are only required to stay in the box when the pitcher is ready to pitch. Otherwise they can step out.

However as was already stated, if they refuse to get in the box when you tell them to, you can call an automatic strike. This does not count towards the pitcher's pitch count.

Posted

I don't stress too much about them stepping out between pitches as long as they are timely about getting back in. I stress out over the kid that wants to walk halfway up the line to get his signs. I will tell them that they need to stay near the plate. The other thing is wanting to dig for three days before steepping back in with their hand up. The hand up thing really annoys me. 90% of the time the pitcher isn't even on the rubber when they put their hand up. I will tell them it isn't necessary, sometimes I ask if the pitcher has quick pitched him yet. The look is priceless, followed by no. I then ask why in the world are they trying to slow him down. I explain that I willl handle it without the hand. If they don't heed my warning then I go to the coach and tell him how much the hand pisses me off.

Posted

The digging in and the little pre-at bat rituals annoy me. I so bad want to say something about does playing with the velcro strap 5 times on each batting glove before each pitch really make you hit better???

Posted

I always give them a little time before the first pitch of their AB to prep the box. I don't see a need to redress the box after every pitch.


×
×
  • Create New...