Time of Interference - Batted Ball Hits Runner

johnnyg08

NFHS

Bases loaded. Two outs. Batted ball hits R2 in the foot as he's running from 2b to 3b and is correctly ruled out for interference.

R3 completely crosses home plate before the interference on R2. 

Does the run count? 

Does it matter if there was less than 2 outs? 

Same scenario, but just R2, R3. Anything different? 

Was going to post some stuff from NFHS All Access, but you'll all be surprised to know that I can't get the RB and CB to load properly. 😁

I believe it is covered under 5-1-1f.

Runners get base TOI under the dead ball table, so run scores. I don't think outs matter, nor if it's only R2, R3.

At the moment of the interference, the ball is dead.  All runner's return to the last base touched at TOI, unless forced to advance by the batter-runner.

image.png.5ce89d91f6e4ad956ba9b02878ca0c62.png

I was in agreeance with @Velho until I tried to support that position.  It appears the run scores.

The scorekeeping rule (Rule 9) negates runs on plays when the third out is made:

image.png.067ea07c78845e217fb04a3271d2cfd8.png

Interference is NOT on that list.

Damn, I hope I have this happen tomorrow!

4 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

NFHS

Was going to post some stuff from NFHS All Access, but you'll all be surprised to know that I can't get the RB and CB to load properly. 😁

Would we ever have to apply the rule where that would happen. Example?

Was going to post some stuff from NFHS All Access, but you'll all be surprised to know that I can't get the RB and CB to load properly

It sucks and i don't think they let you copy and paste. They sign you out on your mobile and you have to sign in every other day. Back to my pre 2024 pdfs.

10 hours ago, Velho said:

Every rat coach:

image.jpeg.d9205b5f0af38557ad160bd3da570516.jpeg

Totally agree . . . but:

The out was not made by the BR before reaching first base (a).

It was a runner who was forced, but it is not a force out (b).

There was no appeal (c) and (d).  There were not two out calls (e).

Was going to say pretty moot since there wouldn't be a reason to intentionally interfere if the run already scored but had the thought:

Bases Loaded (or R3 R1), 2 outs, full count. R3 gets great jump, grounder to F4 that he flips to F6, R3 scores. If F6 catches that ball it's a force out and no run scores. But, if R1 interferes (slaps the throw out of the way, grabs F6's glove, etc.) the run scores*. Game over

* Also, why not? If they complete the play R1 is out, no run scores. If INT before R3 gets home, no run scores. No downside.

10 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Totally agree . . . but:

Agree the rules language supports the run scores. The below was legal too because "someone won't do that"**  until it happened. The refs and league looked like idiots and the rule was subsequently change.

** If it was thought out ahead of time vs "Oh, crap. Never thought of that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCeMpAZIgI