Hybrid Balk?

Jimurray

I'm seeing, today, Lively, called for a balk for not declaring a windup, when he looks like a hybrid/angular pitcher who winds up from a non parallel pivot foot stance. does he really need to declare because his set foot position is similar? Don't have video so I'm just assuming.

8 hours ago, Jimurray said:

I'm seeing, today, Lively, called for a balk for not declaring a windup, when he looks like a hybrid/angular pitcher who winds up from a non parallel pivot foot stance. does he really need to declare because his set foot position is similar? Don't have video so I'm just assuming.

it's not similar, it's identical.  And as I understand it, yes, you must declare.  I caught that the other day also

• Like 1

MLB rules contain a rebuttal presumption that with runners on base the pitcher is in the set position. The rebuttal is that the P declares he is in the windup prior to pitching to the batter. Lively did not declare, so he was in the set position. He then failed to come to a stop.

12 hours ago, andydufresne said:

MLB rules contain a rebuttal presumption that with runners on base the pitcher is in the set position. The rebuttal is that the P declares he is in the windup prior to pitching to the batter. Lively did not declare, so he was in the set position. He then failed to come to a stop.

The rules have the presumption that a sideways pitcher with a parallel pivot foot position is in the set with runners on. My limited view of Lively had me wondering if he was not a sideways pitcher but a hybrid pitcher with a non parallel pivot angle. @Thunderheads, with a better view of the occurrence, clarified that Lively is a sideways pitcher with a parallel pivot foot position.

In addition to (apparently) undeclared windup, can you come to a set before batter is aware with runners on base? I though you could only do that with no one on.

2 hours ago, Velho said:

In addition to (apparently) undeclared windup, can you come to a set before batter is aware with runners on base? I though you could only do that with no one on.

No. I don’t think you can do it without runners on. 
You don’t have to come set with no runners