Jump to content

Fun little stories: 9 year olds. Balls, strikes, HBP


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1068 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is my first season umpiring. Mostly I coach, but I am umping the younger levels to free up more experienced officials for the older kids.

In June I was calling a 10U rec game. In my league the umpires play a small role in the development of the players. They're part of the community. The games can be messy but the kids I am dealing with are pretty darn solid. The coaches too. Not a lot of disrespect or tempers flaring until 13U and up. Both my kids played in the city league and are now playing in high school. The umpires helped teach my son to play catcher when he was little.

 

I enjoy chatting with the catchers and batters just a little bit here and there.

 

One batter got to a 0-2 count quickly on two called strikes. Both were at the very edge of the zone.

Acknowledging the close calls, I said "Hey batter those were pretty close. Especially that first one." He said "Yeah, but they were strikes."

What a guy.

 

Later a pitch came in close behind a batter but I had no indication that it actually hit him. Ball.

He looked at me and said "Um, that hit me."

I said "Oh, did that one get you?"

He said "Yeah"

I said "Do you promise?"

He said "Yeah."

I said "Alright take your base."

He trotted to first.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Posted

Part II

After he arrived at first base, he told his coach, "Man, that umpire is gullible and blind!  I told him it hit me and he believed it!"

The coach said, "Next time, tell him you hit a home run."

😉

  • Haha 1
Posted
9 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Part II

After he arrived at first base, he told his coach, "Man, that umpire is gullible and blind!  I told him it hit me and he believed it!"

The coach said, "Next time, tell him you hit a home run."

😉

I have seen balls come in behind the batter just glance off a "cheek"  I call time and the batter tosses his bat and runs to 1st. Only to have both coaches say " That did not hit him"

I clearly saw it and "heard" it.   The kid at 1st yells to his coach in the dugout  "coach that hit me"

10U you see some of the strangest darndest things

Posted

The kid telling me he got hit... it reminded me of this play:

 

 

Does this look like an appeal after the fact or rather does it look like F3 kinda reminds or informs the umpire that first base was missed?

Posted

This type of play led to a discussion in our house when my son was 10 about telling the truth. He got grazed on the hand/forearm but didn't react. PU called it. Defense manager argued it didn't hit him (from 3B dugout on a RH BR 🙄). Anyway, I join in from 1BC box saying it didn't hit him (wanted him to bat) and my son starts saying it didn't. PU freezes until Def manager realizes he's probably better off with the HBP so he came to first.

After the game my wife was talking to my son about telling the truth. "Tell the umpire if it hit you or it din't". I chime in, "Well, yeah, but...". To her retort it's cheating to lie, I asked "have you heard of Gaylord Perry?" 

Posted
2 hours ago, Toggy said:

The kid telling me he got hit... it reminded me of this play:

 

 

Does this look like an appeal after the fact or rather does it look like F3 kinda reminds or informs the umpire that first base was missed?

I've got F3 pointing to the BR while saying something to the umpire and then going to tag the BR.  He probably said the BR missed the base and thought the U1 heard him in an appeal attempt. At least, it would have been good to me knowing the fielder said something and went to the tag him.  And after reminding the U1 that F3 said BR missed the base and tagged him, the U1 put two and two together and called him out.

×
×
  • Create New...