U1 Positioning

urout17

We were at the Cards/Rays game last night and I noticed Angel Hernandez in this position with a runner on first.  Ok, I know he's a MLB umpire but that doesn't mean I can't ask.  Seriously, I'm just wondering if this is what being taught?  It just looks awkward. 

Rays1.JPG

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, urout17 said:

It just looks awkward.

No less awkward than where U2 (Hoye) is positioned. That’s certainly not B-deep, and is a mashup between C-deep and C-beyond. I wouldn’t teach that to U2s in 4-man or 6-man… 

… unless, of course, these are Pros. Who have the benefit of three absolutes: 

1. Video review
  2. Professional-level play ability (eg. if that F1 picks and misses, the ball’s going to go where Angel “would have typically been”, not where he is now; anything else is going to be caught / picked / blocked by a pro-level F3)
  3. Pro-level and pro-trained umpire crewmates, who “know what to do in response to” (near) every action. 

What’s “good” for Them (Pro U’s) isn’t necessarily ideal for us (in the pro/amateur ranks). I’d be more keen to learn the positioning nuances of NCAA crews. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

No less awkward than where U2 (Hoye) is positioned. That’s certainly not B-deep, and is a mashup between C-deep and C-beyond. I wouldn’t teach that to U2s in 4-man or 6-man… 

… unless, of course, these are Pros. Who have the benefit of three absolutes: 

1. Video review
  2. Professional-level play ability (eg. if that F1 picks and misses, the ball’s going to go where Angel “would have typically been”, not where he is now; anything else is going to be caught / picked / blocked by a pro-level F3)
  3. Pro-level and pro-trained umpire crewmates, who “know what to do in response to” (near) every action. 

What’s “good” for Them (Pro U’s) isn’t necessarily ideal for us (in the pro/amateur ranks). I’d be more keen to learn the positioning nuances of NCAA crews. 

If working outside on steal plays was an approved mechanic in the CCA manual, then yes it would probably be taught. Now most of us don't work the 4 umpire system nearly enough for this to come into play, so working inside gives us familiar looks when taking steal plays at 2nd. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

go and see college or low level minor league ball so you can watch elite 2-man crews. Pay special attention to how U1 takes pickoffs to 1B when they are in the middle in addition to their rotations. Those guys are incredible to watch

f3c22bc2-341c-483a-896e-c0926e125161_tex

• Haha 3