NC St/ARK Game 3 U1

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1040 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Watching game 3 NC St/ ARK

Had anyone ever seen a U1 take plays at first virtually in the 1st - 2nd basepath, a good 30-40 feet from the bag?  Just curious if this is taught anywhere, and what the advantages may be?  

I just turned it on…wow…that is a LONG way to travel off the line for a simple grounder play…I’ve never seen that and definitely wasn’t taught that at the couple camps I’ve been to.

That said, he’s working a super regional and I’m not so I’m not doubting it

10 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

That’s what I was thinking. But when I saw it, I did a double take. 

I know him. Done several camps where he is an instructor. Great Guy! He calls it over-angling. I've tried it and really like it. Don't use it often because the powers that be don't care for it. If you get the opportunity to try it, I would recommend it to see how you personally like it. He says he has never had a call at first overturned by using this method.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasUmp said:

I know him. Done several camps where he is an instructor. Great Guy! He calls it over-angling. I've tried it and really like it. Don't use it often because the powers that be don't care for it. If you get the opportunity to try it, I would recommend it to see how you personally like it. He says he has never had a call at first overturned by using this method.

Who was the U1? 

12 hours ago, SH0102 said:

Hey, we just watched a U3 miss a blatantly obvious Force-Out call at 3B (he must have been thinking a tag of R2 was needed) in a SR. Crew conference overturned it and made it an Out (properly), without having to go to video replay. Everyone in the ballpark and the million viewers on TV knew it was an Out. 

Then, in the Austin SR, the PU just got happy feet on a spiked pitch, inside edge of the plate... on Turf. “But that’s a D1 catcher in front of ya!” So??!! That’s an 85+MPH projectile that will bounce there and will impact in a lightly protected place if that D1 catcher doesn’t pull off a split-second feat of reactive brilliance... because even he wasn’t anticipating the pitcher to throw it that way. 

Gosh, it feels good to realize we’re human.

• Like 5

@Richvee, I assume this is only on ground balls to F5 or F6? 

I mean, angle over distance, right? We work to get a good angle and then close on the play as much as we can without getting too close.

What is the advantage of coming out of A on a 5-3 or 6-3 throw...and also adding 30 to 40 feet of distance? Or am I missing something here?

~Dawg

31 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@Richvee, I assume this is only on ground balls to F5 or F6? 

If you can find a clip, he did it on the last play of the game too.  A chopper in front of the plate.  He also got way off the base, but deeper on the back ends of  ground ball double plays. 

I mean, angle over distance, right? We work to get a good angle and then close on the play as much as we can without getting too close.

What is the advantage of coming out of A on a 5-3 or 6-3 throw...and also adding 30 to 40 feet of distance? Or am I missing something here?

Thats my OP question.  My main concern is how do you adjust from there for a swipe tag??  

31 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

~Dawg